RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

agentmm

Sep 23, 2009, 4:37 AM
Post #1 of 13 (901 views)
Shortcut

climbing movie I can't remember
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just wondering if anyone knows the title of this movie I watched a while ago at a film festival where these guys were exploring the minimalist path of climbing. They knotted their ropes and used the knots like wedges for protection (as not to complicate the route with unnecessary draws and other trad gear.) It was sick, they climbed some stuff bare foot, but the "knots like nuts" was what stood out.
Thanks in advance.

lucasdunn

Sep 23, 2009, 4:50 AM
Post #2 of 13 (893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agentmm] climbing movie I can't remember [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

in "The Sharp end" by sender films they where climbing in the Czech Republic with knot stoppers

milesenoell

Sep 23, 2009, 5:36 AM
Post #3 of 13 (855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [agentmm] climbing movie I can't remember [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dingus would love this after his comments about risking your life for other peoples rules. They are definitely adding risk to comply with their own rules, but somehow it just seems to highlight the craziness of how we do risk our lives for the most ridiculous reasons. I broke my arm playing "hot lava" on the playground as a kid because I thought I could jump the 15 feet between structures, but knew that if I was going to make it I had to jump from the top of the monkey bars and try to catch the bars of the next structure over. I learned that day that some contrived rules just aren't worth the costs.

sbaclimber

Sep 23, 2009, 7:25 AM
Post #4 of 13 (836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] climbing movie I can't remember [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
Dingus would love this after his comments about risking your life for other peoples rules. They are definitely adding risk to comply with their own rules, but somehow it just seems to highlight the craziness of how we do risk our lives for the most ridiculous reasons. I broke my arm playing "hot lava" on the playground as a kid because I thought I could jump the 15 feet between structures, but knew that if I was going to make it I had to jump from the top of the monkey bars and try to catch the bars of the next structure over. I learned that day that some contrived rules just aren't worth the costs.
You really have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!Mad
Just wanted to say that, before someone were to actually take your post seriously.Pirate

@lucasdunn: they weren't just in the Czech Repuplic, at least 50% of the footage (the barefoot climbing, everything with Bernd Arnold, the arete on the DVD cover, etc, etc) was shot in Germany.

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Sep 23, 2009, 7:27 AM)

milesenoell

Sep 23, 2009, 8:11 AM
Post #5 of 13 (825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] climbing movie I can't remember [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Care to elaborate and actually say something? Do you feel you have some good way to justify that kind of a risk ethic that doesn't ring hollow in the ears of the majority of population? Hell, all you need to do here is come up with a justification that doesn't ring hollow in the ears of internet climbers. Whatcha got?

Edited to add: You do realize that I'm not even concerned with what the video shows (and I haven't seen it) , I'm just referring to trying to justify the risks of trad climbing in general, with a bent towards trad climbing with strict "ethics". I mean shit, we are all doing it in various forms so we've come up with justifications that satisfy ourselves, but have you got anything that would satisfy others? That would satisfy a family member after a death? "He died doing what he loved" comes up short for a lot of people.

(This post was edited by milesenoell on Sep 23, 2009, 8:27 AM)

sbaclimber

Sep 23, 2009, 8:29 AM
Post #6 of 13 (815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
Whatcha got?
Enough experience climbing here to...
a) have fair understanding of the local ethic
b) know how soft the rock actually is!

Regarding a), it's just that, local ethic. It is discussed enough here in Germany and the Czech Republic, by people who actually have some concept of what it is all about. Starting a discussion about it here on RC.com, with people who have no idea, would just be stupid.
(edit: I don't get actively involved in the discussion here either. As I am stilll a complete n00b, and will always remain an "import")

Regarding b), the sandstone in the areas shown on the DVD is anywhere from sort-of-firm to well....just sand. Next to rings (see the bit about local ethics above), knots are actually the safest and most soft-rock-friendly option for protection.

That's why I said you have no idea what you are talking about, I can't give you a proper idea here in the intardweb.
I would happily show you around here though!Smile

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Sep 23, 2009, 8:35 AM)

milesenoell

Sep 23, 2009, 8:34 AM
Post #7 of 13 (808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shit, we're having two different conversations. I didn't mean that what they were using was inappropriate, though I did make the apparently inaccurate assumption that it was adding risk to otherwise standard trad techniques, but was focused on how trad climbing involves risk chosen in a manor others can only find ridiculous.

sbaclimber

Sep 23, 2009, 8:37 AM
Post #8 of 13 (806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
Shit, we're having two different conversations.
hehe, no worriesLaugh

milesenoell wrote:
I didn't mean that what they were using was inappropriate, though I did make the apparently inaccurate assumption that it was adding risk to otherwise standard trad techniques, but was focused on how trad climbing involves risk chosen in a manor others can only find ridiculous.
Now there's a statement that should garner a reaction.Wink

milesenoell

Sep 23, 2009, 8:41 AM
Post #9 of 13 (804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
I would happily show you around here though!Smile

Thanks for that. I've been to Germany twice, but haven't climbed anything but a bridge there. Did some bike touring looking at the cliffs along the Rhine and thinking they looked interesting.

gmggg

Sep 23, 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #10 of 13 (760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
Shit, we're having two different conversations. I didn't mean that what they were using was inappropriate, though I did make the apparently inaccurate assumption that it was adding risk to otherwise standard trad techniques, but was focused on how trad climbing involves risk chosen in a manor others can only find ridiculous.

I find all manors ridiculous, let alone climbing in one.

sbaclimber

Sep 23, 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #11 of 13 (756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] climbing movie I can't remember [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
milesenoell wrote:

I find all manors ridiculous, let alone climbing in one.
Donno.....this one looks pretty sweetCool

gmggg

Sep 23, 2009, 1:39 PM
Post #12 of 13 (706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep. That one too...

Although I wouldn't turn them down if they let me in for freeTongue

limeydave

Sep 23, 2009, 2:20 PM
Post #13 of 13 (676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] climbing movie I can't remember [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
Yep. That one too...

Although I wouldn't turn them down if they let me in for freeTongue

England socks?

HOwghey.

(This post was edited by limeydave on Sep 23, 2009, 2:21 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook