Forums: Community: Campground:
The Lounge™
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 Next page Last page  View All

shimanilami

Oct 1, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #26651 of 26795 (3828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

kachoong wrote:
camhead wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
"never trust an oven" -alton brown

get one of those little hangy thermometers for like 5 bucks at the grocery store so you get the correct temps.

i'm spoiled here with a nice gas oven/range

gawd, I would kill for a gas oven/range here. Ours is pretty erratic in the oven, and the main large front burner intermittently shorts out, so you could be in the middle of a saute and all the sudden you realize it isn't cooking anymore. Fucking electrics.

Yeah, I've had better luck with an MSR XGK than electric ovens. Gas grill is what I prefer to use, rain hail or drought.

Gas stoves and grills are preferred, no doubt. With stoves, you want to be able to instantly increase or decrease heat, and with grills you get more flavor from a flame. Thus, gas. But these are not qualities that are important in an oven.

In an oven that is used for baking, you want the temperature to be stable and precise. You can generally achieve tighter temperature control in an oven if it is electric ... providing that said electric oven doesn't suck balls, that is.

kachoong

Oct 1, 2009, 9:02 PM
Post #26652 of 26795 (3825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

shimanilami wrote:
kachoong wrote:
camhead wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

get one of those little hangy thermometers for like 5 bucks at the grocery store so you get the correct temps.

gawd, I would kill for a gas oven/range here. Ours is pretty erratic in the oven, and the main large front burner intermittently shorts out, so you could be in the middle of a saute and all the sudden you realize it isn't cooking anymore. Fucking electrics.

Yeah, I've had better luck with an MSR XGK than electric ovens. Gas grill is what I prefer to use, rain hail or drought.

Gas stoves and grills are preferred, no doubt. With stoves, you want to be able to instantly increase or decrease heat, and with grills you get more flavor from a flame. Thus, gas. But these are not qualities that are important in an oven.

In an oven that is used for baking, you want the temperature to be stable and precise. You can generally achieve tighter temperature control in an oven if it is electric ... providing that said electric oven doesn't suck balls, that is.

Yes, very true... cookies on the barbie would be a disaster!Crazy

carabiner96

Oct 1, 2009, 9:09 PM
Post #26653 of 26795 (3819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

kachoong wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
Plus, on the way down we passed two ladies. Instead of wagging his tail and begging for scratches like he usually does with people, he sits (thank god!) and starts a low growl at them.

Perhaps he thought they were yetis!

Mmm, they were your Vermont Crunchy Hairy Armpit variety...with leg warmers on a 3 mile hike.

I usually can't be bothered to put on clothes for the hike, I wore my PJ's today!

clausti

Oct 1, 2009, 9:44 PM
Post #26654 of 26795 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

carabiner96 wrote:
epoch wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
So the ridges around us have snow on them, i decided to take the pup for a hike to go see some snow.

Halfway up the ridge he freaks out, sprints a few large loops around me, then crashes at my feet, whining. I try to keep walking, he just runs in front of me and throws himself down again. Not really sure what's going on or what he's smelling, but I decide to turn back.

He has another freakout crossing a stream and darts beneath my legs. I slip and tumble into the FREEZING water, giving him a good solid kick on the way down. Now I've got a sore wrist, a wet ass, and a limping mutt.

Plus, on the way down we passed two ladies. Instead of wagging his tail and begging for scratches like he usually does with people, he sits (thank god!) and starts a low growl at them. Of course, one of the ladies snarls at me that she's afraid of dogs - as I'm straddling him, he's leashed, and my hand is on his collar - not that he's fighting me, he's just sitting, mellow save for the growl.

Not sure what's into him, but he's passed out now. Terrible two's stage?

Obviously you didn't kick the dog hard enough.

I'm forwarding this to PETA by the way.

It was collateral damage, I had no control over my limbs at that point.

if your dog is growling, you should be correcting him. holding is good, but having people's dogs growl at you sucks. ugh, it puts me in a funk for hours.

carabiner96

Oct 1, 2009, 9:46 PM
Post #26655 of 26795 (3807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

clausti wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
epoch wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
So the ridges around us have snow on them, i decided to take the pup for a hike to go see some snow.

Halfway up the ridge he freaks out, sprints a few large loops around me, then crashes at my feet, whining. I try to keep walking, he just runs in front of me and throws himself down again. Not really sure what's going on or what he's smelling, but I decide to turn back.

He has another freakout crossing a stream and darts beneath my legs. I slip and tumble into the FREEZING water, giving him a good solid kick on the way down. Now I've got a sore wrist, a wet ass, and a limping mutt.

Plus, on the way down we passed two ladies. Instead of wagging his tail and begging for scratches like he usually does with people, he sits (thank god!) and starts a low growl at them. Of course, one of the ladies snarls at me that she's afraid of dogs - as I'm straddling him, he's leashed, and my hand is on his collar - not that he's fighting me, he's just sitting, mellow save for the growl.

Obviously you didn't kick the dog hard enough.

I'm forwarding this to PETA by the way.

It was collateral damage, I had no control over my limbs at that point.

if your dog is growling, you should be correcting him. holding is good, but having people's dogs growl at you sucks. ugh, it puts me in a funk for hours.

I did scold him, but this was a first for him...hoping its attributable to his funk.

Partner epoch

Oct 1, 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #26656 of 26795 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

My entire left latissimus dorsi muscle is in total spasm right now.

I sit here being thrown around by a stoopid spasm. It doesn't hurt, just annoying as hell!

Flexoral here I come!

wanderlustmd

Oct 1, 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #26657 of 26795 (3799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

granite_grrl wrote:
How do you tell when cookies are done?

look for flames.

wanderlustmd

Oct 1, 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #26658 of 26795 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

carabiner96 wrote:

Give.
Him.
Back.

Tongue

carabiner96

Oct 1, 2009, 11:44 PM
Post #26659 of 26795 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

wanderlustmd wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Give.
Him.
Back.

Tongue

aww, but now he's all curled up in his new bed in front of the fire chewing on a bone :) I luff him!

wanderlustmd

Oct 1, 2009, 11:44 PM
Post #26660 of 26795 (3791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

shimanilami wrote:
kachoong wrote:
camhead wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

Yeah, but gas tends to....you know....explode.

wanderlustmd

Oct 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #26661 of 26795 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

epoch wrote:

I sit here being thrown around by a stoopid spasm. It doesn't hurt, just annoying as hell!

Flexoral here I come!
Don't take that crap, it will go away.

wanderlustmd

Oct 1, 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #26662 of 26795 (3786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

carabiner96 wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Give.
Him.
Back.

Tongue

aww, but now he's all curled up in his new bed in front of the fire chewing on a bone :) I luff him!
You're such a girl...

carabiner96

Oct 2, 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #26663 of 26795 (3781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

wanderlustmd wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Give.
Him.
Back.

Tongue

You're such a girl...

and this is a problem?

chossmonkey

Oct 2, 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #26664 of 26795 (3779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

kachoong wrote:
Usually when they look done when you pull them out, they're way past being done. After 20min you'll have crispy rock cakes.
That's kinda what I am thinking.

chossmonkey

Oct 2, 2009, 12:15 AM
Post #26665 of 26795 (3776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

wanderlustmd wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Give.
Him.
Back.
Correct

Partner epoch

Oct 2, 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #26666 of 26795 (3773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

wanderlustmd wrote:
epoch wrote:

Flexoral here I come!

Dood, it's a big muscle.

It was twitchy for about 30 minutes before I took teh medz.

Partner epoch

Oct 2, 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #26667 of 26795 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] The Lounge™ [In reply to]
Report this Post

chossmonkey wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Eat.
Moar.
Chicken.
Correct
That, and get rid of the dog.

carabiner96

Oct 2, 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #26668 of 26795 (3770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

epoch wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
epoch wrote:

Flexoral here I come!

Dood, it's a big muscle.

are you loopy enough I can fuck with your brain?

Partner epoch

Oct 2, 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #26669 of 26795 (3767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

carabiner96 wrote:
epoch wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
epoch wrote:

Flexoral here I come!

Dood, it's a big muscle.

only if yor nekkid.

carabiner96

Oct 2, 2009, 2:19 AM
Post #26670 of 26795 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

epoch wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
epoch wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
epoch wrote:

Flexoral here I come!

Dood, it's a big muscle.

only if yor nekkid.

damn.

jakedatc

Oct 2, 2009, 2:39 AM
Post #26671 of 26795 (3754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

carabiner96 wrote:
epoch wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
epoch wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
epoch wrote:

Flexoral here I come!

Dood, it's a big muscle.

only if yor nekkid.

damn.

Get a room.... Tongue

tripperjm

Oct 2, 2009, 3:26 AM
Post #26672 of 26795 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Re: Back to the main event [In reply to]
Report this Post

I checked again, like I do every morning before I walk out the door.

FUK!!!!!!!!

What the fuk is rong with those fuked up losers? Why the fuk can't they get there fuking shit together. It'z been well over a fuking month. Not sure how much more of this fuking shit I can handle. Well I guess, it'z going to be another day on teh slightly overhanging slabs. Still, I just kinda had this feeling...

Sure, I got to go back to several areas I hadn't been to in quite some time and a few that I haven't been to before. My torn bicep got some rest and I actually saw a few of my old friends. Still, I just couldn't shake the feeling.

Even though it'z an hour out of my way, even though I had just checked the FS home page before I walked out the door and it was going to make me late to the crag I had agreed to go to... I just had to check.

The fuking signs were still up... What the fuk is rong with those guys. The fire never got closer than 20 miles and, there was no acess to the fire location from this side of the forest. I was just about to call my partner to say I was going to be late. Figured I would just roll one up... and then head down the hill.

Shit!!!1 a fuking cop just pulled into the turnout. cept he didn't pullup next to me and he had a FS truck right behind him. They pulled past me and the ranger jumped out of the truck and took down the closed sign. huh??? I watched while he continued up the hill, stopping in each turnout removing the signs. I made a call, and followed them up the hill, untill they pulled into the turnout at teh WNSG and took down the signs there. And just like that the forest was open.

Still no mention of the forest opening on the FS website as of a couple of minutes ago, but the forest is open and the WNSG is back in effect.

snoopy138

Oct 2, 2009, 3:55 AM
Post #26673 of 26795 (3747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] Back to the main event [In reply to]
Report this Post

tripperjm wrote:

FUK!!!!!!!!

What the fuk is rong with those fuked up losers? Why the fuk can't they get there fuking shit together. It'z been well over a fuking month. Not sure how much more of this fuking shit I can handle. Well I guess, it'z going to be another day on teh slightly overhanging slabs. Still, I just kinda had this feeling...

Sure, I got to go back to several areas I hadn't been to in quite some time and a few that I haven't been to before. My torn bicep got some rest and I actually saw a few of my old friends. Still, I just couldn't shake the feeling.

Even though it'z an hour out of my way, even though I had just checked the FS home page before I walked out the door and it was going to make me late to the crag I had agreed to go to... I just had to check.

The fuking signs were still up... What the fuk is rong with those guys. The fire never got closer than 20 miles and, there was no acess to the fire location from this side of the forest. I was just about to call my partner to say I was going to be late. Figured I would just roll one up... and then head down the hill.

Shit!!!1 a fuking cop just pulled into the turnout. cept he didn't pullup next to me and he had a FS truck right behind him. They pulled past me and the ranger jumped out of the truck and took down the closed sign. huh??? I watched while he continued up the hill, stopping in each turnout removing the signs. I made a call, and followed them up the hill, untill they pulled into the turnout at teh WNSG and took down the signs there. And just like that the forest was open.

Still no mention of the forest opening on the FS website as of a couple of minutes ago, but the forest is open and the WNSG is back in effect.

I assume the rode is still closed up to teh old gnu? (what's left of it)

Did you go to the crag you'd agreed to go to?

tripperjm

Oct 2, 2009, 4:01 AM
Post #26674 of 26795 (3745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] Back to the main event [In reply to]
Report this Post

snoopy138 wrote:
tripperjm wrote:

FUK!!!!!!!!

Did you go to the crag you'd agreed to go to?

The road to teh Old New will be closed for months, likely thru next year.

What other crag? There is no other crag when teh WNSG is in effect.... at least not any that are local. I thought you knew?

jt512

Oct 2, 2009, 5:08 AM
Post #26675 of 26795 (3812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] Back to the main event [In reply to]
Report this Post

snoopy138 wrote:
tripperjm wrote:

FUK!!!!!!!!

That road is still closed. Drove up there this afternoon. It's amazing how close the fire got to the homes up there. People's lawns burned, but the firefighters' saved the homes.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 ... 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook