RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

hedgehawg

Dec 6, 2002, 10:02 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Slide Process C-41
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can you get color infared out of processing slides through c-41?

repseki

Dec 6, 2002, 10:51 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Slide Process C-41 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

to the best of my knowledge, and it would make sense, infared films only pick up infared wavelengths of light, and therefor would not provide you with a color spectrum.

slhappy

Dec 6, 2002, 11:13 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when you cross process E6 emulsion in C41 chenistry you don't get a color infrared film. However, you do get some cool color distortion. It is good to experiment with. Let you local lab know you intentionally want the film cross processed or they'll probably send it through the E6 tanks.

kcrag

Dec 6, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My formula for shooting chromes and processing c-41 is shoot at normal exposure and process normal. There is a slight color shift--the reds really pop (and will often slightly bleed). This isn't the same as an infrared look, though.

As for the other way around--shooting neg film and processing E6, what always works for me is to OVER expose 2 stops, and also PUSH two stops in the lab. The color shifts are really wild with this process. You'll get back slides that are other-worldly greens, blues and yellows. Fun to take pics like this of landscapes in Utah or J-tree. Needless to say, it does little to enhance 'skin tones'!

Have fun.
-kelly.

Partner tim

Dec 6, 2002, 11:40 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I'm understanding this guy correctly, which seems to me rather unlikely (eg. I'm probably confused here), there are two possible answers:

1) Most people process EIR in E6 chemistry instead of the specialized EIR process (name/code escapes me at the moment).

2) You can cross-process either negative-in-E6 (as explained by kcrag) or slides-in-C41 (straight cross process) and get weird color shifts, but that's not the same as recording IR-shifted colors, which is what EIR does.

In my opinion, only having shot 2 rolls of EIR (eg. Kodak color infrared), it is rather too expensive for the marginal benefit, unless you really know what you're doing. YMMV. Kelly's neg-in-E6 advice is really clever, BTW. You might want to try that even if it wasn't your original question.

krillen

Dec 8, 2002, 11:57 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you guys have any examples online of the colour shifts discussed. This is very interesting concept.

E6 chemistry is used to develop slides normally?

[ This Message was edited by: krillen on 2002-12-08 16:02 ]

kcrag

Dec 9, 2002, 4:17 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

krillen,

Yes. Chromes (or slides) are processed in E6 chemistry whereas negatives are C41. 'Cross processing' is when you request processing your film in the 'other' chemistry. Some labs will do it, others won't (they'll say it 'taints' the bath, but it really doesn't... it just uses up more chemistry). You'll be charged extra for this service.

If you're interested in seeing samples, please pm me with your e-mail address and I can send you some low-res jpeg files.

-kelly.

gunkiemike

Dec 29, 2002, 11:58 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a lab accidentally (grrr) process a roll of slides in their print machine. The shots were mostly VERY green. But the offset was not uniform, and while I was able to fix the color of some of the prints using various digital image software, others were beyond fixing. I can email examples to anyone who wants to see before & after pix. Of course this has NOTHING to do with IR.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook