Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Dixon Springs Climbing Information
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jordancolburn

Jan 1, 2009, 9:46 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Dixon Springs Climbing Information  (North_America: United_States: Illinois: South: Dixon_Springs)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There really isn't much information online about this underrated little climbing area. I'm in the process of adding some more routes to this guide to at least give new visitors an idea of what is out there. I'm not too sure of many names, or really even grades (I've only met other climbers there once, one guy showed me around what little he knew). But I'm going to post routes with estimated grades and names, if you have any more information, please feel free to correct. I'm only claiming FA on the routes I'm pretty positive were unclimbed(off the trail, not obvious, needed cleaning) , but again, feel free to correct.

I know john gill published a guide to here based on his B-system in one of the first few issues of climbing, but after emails to him, he was not able to find it, and neither was I.

mttgross

Dec 13, 2009, 5:54 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jordancolburn] Dixon Springs Climbing Information [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am thinking on going down to SO ILL for some bouldering during late December, maybe early January, and so far you seem pretty knowledgeable about the area, any advice ? We Were hoping to get like 3 days of climbing in

jordancolburn

Dec 13, 2009, 6:27 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mttgross] Dixon Springs Climbing Information [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I had 3 days to spend climbing, I would probably try to spend two days in Jackson falls(lots to do, lots of grade variation). There's a good bouldering guide at dr topo or information in the guidebook vertical heartland. I'd probably spend one day at dixon. Not a lot of established climbs, but the easiest access ever, and some pretty good problems. Try southern exposure if you climb around a v3 or higher.

Camping is free above Jackson. Lots of campsites available. For a rest day, maybe Just hang out or visit garden of the gods.

There is some bouldering at drapers bluff, but the main drawthere is trad and mixed climbing. I'm not sure about the state of access there right now either.

mttgross

Dec 13, 2009, 4:48 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jordancolburn] Dixon Springs Climbing Information [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! Thats exactly what i needed tohear, now what do you think weather wise if we were to go at like the end of december/early january ?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook