Forums: Climbing Partners: International:
Going to be in New Zeland (South Island) for January.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

rnmassen

Dec 6, 2009, 12:44 AM
Post #1 of 5 (714 views)
Shortcut

Going to be in New Zeland (South Island) for January.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey gang,

I'm super stoked to be coming down to New Zealand for January and one of my dreams is to get some of the South Island's rock under my feet. I would love love love to meet up with some folks looking for some fun lines this summer.

Do a lot of sport climbing up here when the season is in (AK), can lead 5.10 pretty comfortably up to c or d, will follow on 11's, and willing to give 12's a shot (I'm still learning the NZ and Aussie grading system, so bear with me)

Love bouldering as well and can work around v4 range.

Best regards!

B

Myxomatosis

Dec 6, 2009, 9:50 AM
Post #2 of 5 (702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rnmassen] Going to be in New Zeland (South Island) for January. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey man... Make sure you head up to Paynes Ford at the top of the South Island. You will easily find a partner any time of year (and esp around Jan is busy as)

Also make sure you get to Castle Hill... you will want to spend a week at least at both destinations. Castle is about climbing features not so much tiny crimps, so if thats your style you can really crank hard.

5.12a is 24... so I think your climbing level will be mostly between 19 to 21-22 which gives you alot of scope.

You'll find most climbs fitted with two bolts at the top. Make sure your comfortable getting down rigging rappels (hardly any lower off's). Also the bolting is on the generous side of things.

I have the Rock Deluxe guide book and it covers about 30+ crags all over the South Island and has a guide to Castle Hill... only $35-40nz so very handy to have.

PS: gear is really expensive here btw

kiwiprincess

Dec 7, 2009, 7:51 PM
Post #3 of 5 (696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rnmassen] Going to be in New Zeland (South Island) for January. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is the holiday season here so NZers will be taking their holidays and out and about climbing too. It should be easy to meet up with others at the crags in jan everywhere.

seatbeltpants

Dec 21, 2009, 2:12 AM
Post #4 of 5 (656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be down in Wanaka from 30 Jan to 7 Feb - would be keen to hook up if you're in the area.

steve

rnmassen

Dec 21, 2009, 3:15 AM
Post #5 of 5 (650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] Going to be in New Zeland (South Island) for January. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks gang, I'll look for you in a few weeks =)

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook