RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

Trixie

Dec 30, 2009, 7:23 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3487 views)
Shortcut

Ben Nevis No. 3 gully - avalanche
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/scotland/6912261/Two-climbers-killed-in-Ben-Nevis-avalanches.html

Two climbers have been killed in this avalanche. Both were well experienced and well equipped.

Current conditions seem to be a sudden warming after fresh snow on top of surface hoar (very rare here, I've never seen it before).

Today in the Central Belt of Scotland we had gale force winds from NNE which caused many tree branches, laden with wet snow, to snap.

I've been keeping an eye on the avalanche forecast for the Lochaber area and was surprised and concerned when today it was only considered moderate. Even after the avalanche had occurred, the web site wasn't updated to reflect what had happened. Now, I'm no expert, but I was already becoming concerned about the risk.

I suppose what I'm wondering about is how much should we rely on avalanche forecasts and how much should we rely on gut feeling? And where does it leave us when we don't have enough experience to have confidence in our own gut feeling and instead rely on the avalanche forecasts?I'm asking this in light of the previous avalanche thread posted by majid and the comments by the Italian politician.

imnotclever

Dec 30, 2009, 7:57 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Trixie] Ben Nevis No. 3 gully - avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Trixie wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...evis-avalanches.html

Two climbers have been killed in this avalanche. Both were well experienced and well equipped.

Current conditions seem to be a sudden warming after fresh snow on top of surface hoar (very rare here, I've never seen it before).

Today in the Central Belt of Scotland we had gale force winds from NNE which caused many tree branches, laden with wet snow, to snap.

I've been keeping an eye on the avalanche forecast for the Lochaber area and was surprised and concerned when today it was only considered moderate. Even after the avalanche had occurred, the web site wasn't updated to reflect what had happened. Now, I'm no expert, but I was already becoming concerned about the risk.

I suppose what I'm wondering about is how much should we rely on avalanche forecasts and how much should we rely on gut feeling? And where does it leave us when we don't have enough experience to have confidence in our own gut feeling and instead rely on the avalanche forecasts?I'm asking this in light of the previous avalanche thread posted by majid and the comments by the Italian politician.

now clicky

has sungam been here lately?

imnotclever

Dec 30, 2009, 8:00 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [imnotclever] Ben Nevis No. 3 gully - avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

here to this site I mean, last seen: Dec 29, 2009, 10:15 AM

Trixie

Dec 30, 2009, 8:21 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just checked by phone half an hour ago. Sungam is fine.

Gmburns2000

Dec 30, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

imnotclever wrote:
here to this site I mean, last seen: Dec 29, 2009, 10:15 AM

He's fine. "Sungam" has been taking a break from rc.com since he hit 20k posts. However, I have strong feelings that he is still participating. There's no way he can stay away from this place.

Condolences to the families / friends of the deceased.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook