RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

seatbeltpants

Jan 7, 2010, 7:33 PM
Post #1 of 8 (6569 views)
Shortcut

Finger joints growing - concerning?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I've been climbing for two years now and have just dropped my wedding ring off to be resized - for the third time. I ain't getting fat, but my finger joints seem to be (maybe not all of them, actually, but definitely the first joint the ring has to cross when I remove it).

Is this something I should be concerned about? I just read this thread http://www.rockclimbing.com/...nt%20larger;#1791576 and was wondering if I should get to a doctor to check for arthritis. I was kinda wondering about that, too, as for the past few months I've tended to have stiff / tired fingers when I first wake up in the morning.

For the record I'm 32, a virgo, and I like walks on the beach.

Any advice appreciated!

Steve

lena_chita

Jan 7, 2010, 8:38 PM
Post #2 of 8 (6524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seatbeltpants] Finger joints growing - concerning? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

It has been my experience that the climber's fingers get "knobbier".

my ring doesn't fit anymore-- well, it still fits in the normal place around the finger, if you push it down over the knuckles, but it used to be loose coming on/off...
I don't have any joint pain in my fingers, tendon issues on one finger from an old injury.

I had experienced some stiffness about 2 years ago, but stretching/felxing exercises (suggested by a PT friend, and remarkably like the exercises suggested in Rock and Ice about 1.5-2 years ago? --don't remember the issue) made it all go away.

the exercises were as follows:

(hold each position for the count of 10, repeat the series 10 times a day as prophylactic-- or 50, if dealing with active stiffness. Do not apply external force to bend the fingers beyond the position where they are willing to go on their own power)

1) spread out your straight fingers as much as posible, as if you were trying to make the biggest paw-print, but your fingers should be lifting backwards ( e.i. if you put your palm on the table, the palm is pressing down, but the fingers are lifting up, not touching the table, if possible (on their own, no external force applied)

2) starting with palm completely open, squeeze straight fingers together and while keeping the fingers straight, bend at the base (first) knuckles to approximately 90 degrees.

3) from the previous position (2), bend the second knuckles, but not the last ones, pressing the fingerpads into the palms. ( almost like a fist, but without bending the most distant joints, they should be straight)

4) unbend the first joints (making them arch backwards a bit, as in (1)), but bend the 2nd and 3rd knuckles-- this should look like claws.

5) bend all three finger joints, making a tight fist.

I don't know if the descriptions make any sense...

I used to do it in the car while being stuck in traffic, under the table at boring meetings, etc. My co-worker (not a climber)-- an older lady with some arthritis issues-- noticed me doing it, asked about it, and tried it. It seemed to help her, too.

Obviously, this won't cure arthritis...

As usual, there is a caveat in accepting over-the-internet diagnosis, but this is innocuous enough that you can't possibly hurt yerself...

And of course, if you are in serious pain-- sure, go to the doctor!

Myxomatosis

Jan 8, 2010, 6:51 PM
Post #3 of 8 (6471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Finger joints growing - concerning? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great post Lena!

Steve have u looked at some vitamins?

If ya fingers been little stiff lately, might be a good idea to have a bit of a rest period. I ignored my body and kept climbing when I secretly knew I should rest up and then ended up injured for over a year now, and trust me, rest would have been worth it!

squierbypetzl

Jan 8, 2010, 7:42 PM
Post #4 of 8 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] Finger joints growing - concerning? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it only your joints growing larger or are your entire fingers getting fatter too?

I hate it when people give out medical advice over teh net with little to no info. about the recipients condition, but if your fingers are waay fatter than they were, well, a friend of mine has capsulitis and thatīs what it looks like. Crazy

Iīve noticed most climbers fingers get fatter, some even look more like sausages than fingers, but by "waay fatter" I mean something like when you jam your finger and it swells up to 1.5 times it size.

seatbeltpants

Jan 10, 2010, 7:19 PM
Post #5 of 8 (6377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Finger joints growing - concerning? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for the responses. I have started to do these exercises, Lena, and will see how it goes - definitely worth a shot.

In reply to:
Is it only your joints growing larger or are your entire fingers getting fatter too?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is just the joints, based on the fact that my wedding ring still feels lose when it's in place. It's just getting it past the joint that's the problem...

No serious pain or anything at this stage so I think I'll take it a bit easier (always a good call, though easier said than done), do Lena's exercises, and see how it all pans out. Will visit a doc if it gets any worse though.

Cheers,

Steve

onrockandice

Jan 10, 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #6 of 8 (6350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My knuckles are the same. No pain just growing. I'd attribute this to rigors of the activity. Gymnasts have a similar thing happen in the high impact/use parts of their bodies. Incredibly broad shoulders and such. I have zero pain but I notice that my knuckles do get bigger. Of course some times they are back to normal size too. I notice early in the morning they are smallest. Later in the day (with or without climbing) they are bigger. But certainly bigger overall.

I'd say that you need to amputate.

aerili

Jan 11, 2010, 3:44 AM
Post #7 of 8 (6307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man, I remember reading some research about climbers' hands and it stated that imaging studies revealed experienced climbers (i.e. those who had been climbing quite regularly over a number of years) had thicker joint capsules and ligaments in their fingers compared to non-climbing controls. So it seems likely you are worrying about nothing out of the ordinary. [But I ain't seen your hands, so take that as you will o course.]

seatbeltpants

Jan 11, 2010, 7:22 AM
Post #8 of 8 (6291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Finger joints growing - concerning? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that's what we like to hear :D

steve

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook