$300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Jan 7, 2010, 3:05 PM
Post #26 of 54 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
To me being charged for a rescue is no different than being charged for an ambulance ride to the E.R. Both cost money and you as the client should have to pay for a part, if not all of it.

Wait... I see what you did here. You reference yourself but its someone else's problem.

You'll never need a rescue no. Someone else, always.

Good one.

DMT

dingus

Jan 7, 2010, 3:09 PM
Post #27 of 54 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Charging an upfront rate acts as a deterrent to use the services which almost certainly will result in an increase in fatalities after the fact.

Let's say you and others who cite this are absolutely correct - why is this considered a bad thing? Don't take me as callous as I don't mean it that way.

Why is the fatality # important? No one gets out of here alive anyway...

DMT

kachoong

Jan 7, 2010, 3:39 PM
Post #28 of 54 (1737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure if it's changed but isn't it true that if you pay your hut fees in New Zealand you will be covered if you require a helicopter rescue? It's not a bad idea since alpine huts have constant maintainence costs. I'd pay fees to go into backcountry areas if it meant I was covered for a rescue, especially if all/part of the money went towards SAR and park upkeep.

dynosore

Jan 7, 2010, 4:42 PM
Post #29 of 54 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think any reasonable person would argue that there needs to be some basic protections and services in society. The rest is just arguing over where to draw the line, and it's pretty much based on your preferences. I think for the tiny amount of money spent on rescuing active outdoors people, it's offset a thousand times over for treating overweight, sedentary people. My personal bias.

The issues in the Knik River rec area goes far deeper than this, it's been a trouble spot for years. Closest area to Anchorage to do any real offroading/teen partying/dump a stolen car/etc.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=28659

Trivia fact: they grow world record veggies in the Mat-Su valley due to the long summer daylight.

yokese

Jan 7, 2010, 4:58 PM
Post #30 of 54 (1716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
No, not at all, look at Europe. I you chose to go screw around in the mountains, you can get insurance. If you chose not to, then you'd better have a back up plan. If not, tough titty said the momma kitty.

Not everywhere in Europe.
In some countries (Spain and France, AFAIK), there are rescue teams publicly funded and rescues are for free (in France, there are ALSO private rescue teams). In Spain, they implemented a law to charge for gross negligence, but it has never been applied. In some cases they send a copy of the bill to the rescued to inform about the costs, but they don't charge him.
Nevertheless, a pretty comprehensive insurance that covers climbing/mountaneering all over Europe and Morocco costs around €120/year.

More info here (in Spanish).

sausalito

Jan 7, 2010, 6:04 PM
Post #31 of 54 (1702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So long as there is thought in regards to who is charged I am all for it. But I also don't think that unhealthy people should be able to be treated for free, ala ERs in the US.

However, for instances like the NOLS instructor that was hit in the head by a rock thrown by some idiot.... had he been a candidate for rescue I think that should be free of charge or charge the person who threw the rock.

But in general I think this is a reasonable idea. If people are connected to the price of something they are usually more apt to be safe in my opinion.

Gmburns2000

Jan 7, 2010, 6:32 PM
Post #32 of 54 (1698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
onrockandice wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

samglass wrote on 01/05/2010 07:17:57 AM:

Making them pay for a rescue is a great idea.

How about gumbies pay full-boat but bonafide no effin way to avoid that situ type stuff is covered by the state.

If some guys belay gets iced by a 15' swell of 90 mile an hour snow and ice and he's stuck on a ledge with no place to go then we pull out all the stops to get him.

If gumby joe caver who is 6'1 and 200 pounds decides he can handle a 150' long tube called the birth canal then the rescue is on his coin.

Same with the climbing party that goes up on a big wall and leaves behind essentials like cold weather gear and water. They pay to be rescued.

I think blatant, "Oh! No way! Someone really was dumb enough to do that?" stuff should be on the rescued tab. But I think serious accidents that are shown to be unavoidable are no charge.

Sounds like a good idea in theory, but life has a way of hating black-and-white, and prefering shades of gray.

O.K., seems pretty clear that a woman who hikes to the bottom of Grand Canyon and then needs a resque b/c she can't hike out is thre definition of dumb. Should have known as she was going down, and turned around before long, right?

And a climber being stuck by lightning in an unforecasted storm seems to be the definition of "needs rescue due to circumstances beyond his control"-- coud have happened to anyone, no matter how careful or experienced, right?

But what about someone who brought adequate food/gear/water on a climb, and then dropped the haul bag? Still free-service rescue, or has-to-pay rescue?

How about getting more nitty-gritty: someone who knew that there was a storm in the forecast, but decided to play the odds... Someone who takes a chance when there is 30% chance of a storm in the forecast gets free rescue, but someone who takes the same chance when there is a 60% chance of a storm gets to pay?

or how about someone who get stranded due to rockfall? Rockfall is always a danger. Do we arbitrarily divide the climbing areas into " low-rockfall-potential" ( so if you do get unfortunate enough to be affected by one in these areas you get a free rescue) and "high rockfall potential" (so if you choose to climb there you get to pay in the event of a rockfall)? Who decides on the cut-off and defines the areas?

the answer to that is kind of shitty, but there is a pretty obvious answer to determining the grey: court. Or maybe panels instead of courts would be better suited, but panels would also be expensive to keep, too.

I'm sure there are better ideas out there. I only threw out the one that came to mind first. There really are tools that society uses to figure out the grey, so that's not something I'd be overly worried about.

Now, if I ended up on the wrong end of the color spectrum, then maybe I'd be worried / pissed off. Tongue

iron106

Jan 7, 2010, 7:36 PM
Post #33 of 54 (1681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as it does not go to;

Needing proof of insurance to climb in certain areas.
Or having to register as a "Do not rescue", no insurance, no income.

Or even worse a license, registration, and proof of insurance.

Gmburns2000

Jan 7, 2010, 7:44 PM
Post #34 of 54 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iron106] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iron106 wrote:
As long as it does not go to;

Needing proof of insurance to climb in certain areas.
Or having to register as a "Do not rescue", no insurance, no income.

Or even worse a license, registration, and proof of insurance.

well, places like the 'Gunks require some sort of registration, even if that's only used as a method to accept payment. I think that stinks, too, but having to register in general isn't something that's so bad in the end. At least it works in the 'Gunks.

But yeah, I agree, having to register or show proof of insurance regarding rescues in particular would be pretty crummy. Imagine two parties climbing similar lines, and imagine one party registering and the other not. Man, what kind of nightmare would that be if they both got stuck on a ledge together in bad weather? I'm sure both parties would be rescued, but what a public relations nightmare mess that would be afterward eh?

Still, as difficult as it is to accept this line of thinking, there really are poor countries with spectacular back countries. Those countries often can't afford rescues much less roads or schools. Showing proof of insurance or having to register "no rescue" in those places I think makes sense. Money in those places is probably better spent on clean water than it is out-of-luck adventurers.

climbingaz

Jan 7, 2010, 8:36 PM
Post #35 of 54 (1658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In Arizona, they have a "stupid motorist" law that basically holds retarded drivers responsible for thier rescue when trying to drive into/through flooded streets.

They need to do something like this in the parks. I can't tell you how many times I see people getting "rescued" off local hiking trails because they (1) failed to bring water (2) hiked off-trail to impress their buddies and fell, etc. (3) get lost starting hikes in the evening without headlamps, flashlights, etc.

For the true accidents, don't charge 'em. For rescues due to stupidity, CHARGE 'EM!

dingus

Jan 7, 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #36 of 54 (1650 views)
Shortcut

Re: $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whatever.

Its very clear the American climbing public feels entitled to a 'best effort' rescue, regardless of who pays for it, themselves, the government or insurance.

Anyway you cut it, this says climbers are becoming increasinly unwilling to accept full responsibility for themselves.

Now ask yourselves citizens... when you choose to avoid taking self-responsibility, who must do it for you?

Don't want to be your own police man do you? No. So the government does it and oh btw here's the rules, Citizen!

Don't wanna drive your owm ambulance, the G will do it for you. Oh btw Citizen, here's the rules.

Expect someone else to rescue didjya Citizen?

HERE'S THE RULES.

Don't like the rules?

DON'T CALL FOR RESCUE.

But if you expect the G to come rescue you they will... with rule books in hand.

Its axiomatic.

DMT

majid_sabet

Jan 8, 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #37 of 54 (1639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Whatever.

Its very clear the American climbing public feels entitled to a 'best effort' rescue, regardless of who pays for it, themselves, the government or insurance.

Anyway you cut it, this says climbers are becoming increasinly unwilling to accept full responsibility for themselves.

Now ask yourselves citizens... when you choose to avoid taking self-responsibility, who must do it for you?

Don't want to be your own police man do you? No. So the government does it and oh btw here's the rules, Citizen!

Don't wanna drive your owm ambulance, the G will do it for you. Oh btw Citizen, here's the rules.

Expect someone else to rescue didjya Citizen?

HERE'S THE RULES.

Don't like the rules?

DON'T CALL FOR RESCUE.

But if you expect the G to come rescue you they will... with rule books in hand.

Its axiomatic.

DMT

Agree

and get ready cause G will start to charge you for rescues. may be not now they will in the next 10 year or so after they waste the rest of left over money in Afghanistan.

moose_droppings

Jan 8, 2010, 2:48 AM
Post #38 of 54 (1625 views)
Shortcut

Re: $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Charge people for screwing up?
Then shouldn't we start doing this for everything, anytime anyone does something that "others" deemed unnecessary and results in services needed?

Who decides what is an exceptable level of diligence for each individual? This will be fun watching the artist drawing these lines. Do courts/juries decide? Does the person that can afford a handful of very experienced lawyers get to pay less, or not at all? Courts cost us money too.

I sure hope we don't leave it up to the insurance companies to iron out what constitutes a valid claim. Insurance would also sure make it tempting to pad the bill.
"Hey Chief, don't forget to charge them for a bunch of new ropes." Doesn't matter that they've used them 3 times before on other uninsured calls.
With insurance in the mix it may be a great opportunity to start up some private rescue companies.
"What's that...yes we can handle that.....Now?...Does the victim have a current insurance policy?..No?...Sorry, you'll need to call the local fire department."

Rescues are no more than an accident, regardless if someone else says they could of seen it coming or not. Were required to rescue victims in smashed cars regardless of the cause (drunk driver) without compensation. Police come to the call even if some dip just got up in Tyson's face. We try to rescue people and or houses from fire even if an unattended cig started it. Doesn't matter, were there, without a bill for it later. Sure it can be dangerous for those responding. We've all laid it out on the line from time to time answering different calls, sometimes unexpectedly. No one has ever forced me to put myself into a life threatening situation, it's an individual call.

Rescues and the infrastructure around it is already there and is paid for with taxes year after year. Leave it the way it is or be prepared to go down a long, slippery slope.

tradrenn

Jan 8, 2010, 3:30 AM
Post #39 of 54 (1620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ensonik] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ensonik wrote:
In reply to:
I enjoy going out on my own and wouldn't want to make my neighbors pay when they rarely make it out of Anchorage.

It's give and take. My neighbors are fat and smoke, yet I foot the bill for their medical expenses (I'm Canadian). I'll willing to bet that I cost much less to society than they do.

Not YOU, but WE do.

Did you hear that obesity is becoming bigger problem than smoking ?

jayhawk70

Jan 8, 2010, 4:16 AM
Post #40 of 54 (1610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

interesting topic, as i recently found myself in a position to need rescuing. a buddy and i decided to go alpine climbing over new years. we tracked the weather, had all the gear, and had done it before. a few peaks short of our goal we ran into trouble. the front moved faster then we expected, a broken stove, and a loss of some gear( mainly our tent, a sleeping bag, and some clothing). Instead of -10 we had -40, and i would have called for help but the damn phone quit too. I dont think they could have come anyhow as the wind picked up to 50+. almost really didnt make it out. 4 fingers, 5 toes, and my left cheek frostbitten. If i could have gotten help i would not have cared if it had cost a million dollars. Was it my fault? Yes and No. I didnt have to go to start with. And you dont have to climb. you can just live a boring life like most everyone else. Or you can get out there and live! And if my mistakes cost me, then so be it! But i would go again today if i had the time! There is a higher price to be paid sometimes than what money can buy you out of, but fear of that isnt gonna stop me either!

ekuenstn

Jan 8, 2010, 5:22 AM
Post #41 of 54 (1610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

article from the American Alpine Club that sums up what a lot of people have mentioned here, although it is specific to climbing:

http://www.angband.org/~gary/MRreal.pdf

(This post was edited by ekuenstn on Jan 8, 2010, 5:23 AM)

chadnsc

Jan 8, 2010, 1:55 PM
Post #42 of 54 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
To me being charged for a rescue is no different than being charged for an ambulance ride to the E.R. Both cost money and you as the client should have to pay for a part, if not all of it.

Wait... I see what you did here. You reference yourself but its someone else's problem.

You'll never need a rescue no. Someone else, always.

Good one.

DMT

Uh no, it was just poor grammar in use of a pronoun. When I said :
chadnsc wrote:
To me being charged for a rescue is no different than being charged for an ambulance ride to the E.R.

I was attempting to say that in my option (a.k.a. to me) being charged for a rescue is no different than being charged for an ambulance ride to the E.R.

It would be obtuse for me to say that I will never need a rescue when I've required emergency paramedic services four times in my life.

Wait . . . I see what you did there. You read too far into someone’s post and attached an incorrect meaning influenced by your own personal views.

dingus

Jan 8, 2010, 3:16 PM
Post #43 of 54 (1565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] $300 for the first hour, $150 for each additional half hour [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool.

A lot of climbing SAR ops in Yosemite for example, aren't all that expensive.

Its the lost hikers that really could rack up the bills.

Now let's say a hiker heads up the Half Dome trail in Oct in T shirt and shorts, doesn't return that evening and it snows all night.

There is precedence for this example.

Worried relatives call for help.

Massive search ensues. Now in the real world, they never found T-shirt dude, not to this day. Maybe he didn't want to be found, quien sabe?

But let's say he was.

This massive air and ground search cost whatever it did... let's say $500k.

Why should the lost hiker, who never even called for a rescue to begin with, be expected to pay one thin dime of that?

DMT

chadnsc

Jan 8, 2010, 3:35 PM
Post #44 of 54 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charge the lost hiker or in your exsample the lost hikers family that called in the request for rescue.

dingus

Jan 8, 2010, 3:36 PM
Post #45 of 54 (1553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Charge the lost hiker or in your exsample the lost hikers family that called in the request for rescue.

OK they never found him, in real life. And the bill was closer to a million.

Still charge the family?

DMT

dan2see

Jan 8, 2010, 3:45 PM
Post #46 of 54 (1547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"If I were king ..." statements are fantasy, and I do it anyway.

If I owned an insurance company, I would require you to attend an AVI class, and show the certificate, to be covered.

If I owned a SAR company, I would ask the land-owner, whether state or private, to guarantee my expenses, before I entered their boundary. Probably with a contingency agreement.

If I were the Prime Minister, I would ask my Parliament to choose a "who pays strategy", get it passed into law, and advertise through every agency that owned public-access land. That "strategy" could be user pays, or state pays, or whatever, but at least it would be stated clearly. The outreach advertisements would include one-liners like "Take an AVI course".

If I were the manager of a park (any public-access land) I would print flyers promoting the appropriate land-use, and include a page explaining the rescue/payment strategy. Then I would promote a working liaison with my support teams, so we're all on the same page.

And if I ran an outdoor/adventure school? We have several in my area, and they all provide useful knowledge and skills.

(This post was edited by dan2see on Jan 8, 2010, 3:48 PM)

chadnsc

Jan 8, 2010, 3:48 PM
Post #47 of 54 (1542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

OK they never found him, in real life. And the bill was closer to a million.

Still charge the family?

DMT

If the family kept asking for the SARS crews to keep looking, yes but only after letting them know that if the search continues then the family will be responsible for the cost.

dingus

Jan 8, 2010, 3:53 PM
Post #48 of 54 (1538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmmm, Ok.

Cheers
DMT

chadnsc

Jan 8, 2010, 4:00 PM
Post #49 of 54 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Hmmmm, Ok.

Cheers
DMT

You asked, I answered.

dingus

Jan 8, 2010, 4:11 PM
Post #50 of 54 (1527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
dingus wrote:
Hmmmm, Ok.

Cheers
DMT

You asked, I answered.

Wasn't a 'critical' hmmm my friend, just an acknowledgment.

I actually think your way is best, long term, for freedom.

Sadly our safety lovin fellow citizens aren't callous enough to 'let em bleed out.'

Yet.

They don't want freedom. They want a binky.

We're on the same page to some extent. However, my position is that as long as t shirt hiker dude get a million dollar search 'for nothing' then by god singling out climbers, particularly WHEN OTHER CLIMBERS DO IT... blows.

Not saying you did that - I'm just saying, good for t shirt dude, good for ill equipped party on the Captain.

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Jan 8, 2010, 4:11 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook