RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

brownerd

Jan 8, 2010, 9:05 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1629 views)
Shortcut

at what elevation do you use O2
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was curious - at what elevation do most (I know everyone is different) people start using oxygen? Is it used on Denali? Thanks for the info!

edge

Jan 8, 2010, 9:16 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brownerd] at what elevation do you use O2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brownerd wrote:
I was curious - at what elevation do most (I know everyone is different) people start using oxygen? Is it used on Denali? Thanks for the info!

Some lifelong miscreants need it at sea level, and others who have summitted Everest never need it.

I think the question is too broad, although I would bet you would be safe on Denali provided you are fit enough to actually hike the standard routes.

shimanilami

Jan 8, 2010, 9:20 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

All.

majid_sabet

Jan 8, 2010, 9:23 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brownerd wrote:

best is to take a a pocket size pulse ox with you and regularly check to see when your O2 level is going down. The most important part in adapting to altitude is to allow your body to slowly become familiar to harsh environment.

Also I have heard that due to air density difference, the altitude in Alaska can not be compared to other altitudes in the rest of the world.I think, its harder to climb in Alaska than in Himalayas .

dolphja

Jan 8, 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] at what elevation do you use O2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
brownerd wrote:

best is to take a a pocket size pulse ox with you and regularly check to see when your O2 level is going down. The most important part in adapting to altitude is to allow your body to slowly become familiar to harsh environment.

Also I have heard that due to air density difference, the altitude in Alaska can not be compared to other altitudes in the rest of the world.I think, its harder to climb in Alaska than in Himalayas .
+1

nattfodd

Jan 9, 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Supplementary O2 gets generally used above 26,000ft/8000m, though on Everest expeditions, you see people with O2 masks as low a 21,000ft. I haven't heard of anyone actually using it on Denali, though, except in rescues of course.

Partner angry

Jan 11, 2010, 3:16 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

The highest I've been, 22,000 in South America, it was totally unnecessary providing you were acclimated.

I think it's widely accepted if you're on a mountain that breaches the "death zone". I think this zone differs for most people but it generally starts at 7000m.

I don't know if it's still available but for a while it used to be trendy to pass out (sell) oxygen on Mt. Fuji (12,000ft). The mental image of a bunch of day hikers sucking down Hello Kitty oxygen on a barely alpine bump has always brought a smile to my face.

brownerd

Jan 11, 2010, 3:24 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for all the replies! You have been very helpful! I am quitting my job and going to selll hello kitty oxygen on Mt. Fuji Tongue Thanks agin for the replies

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook