Forums: Climbing Information: General:
What do you look for in a climbing companion?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

LostinMaine

Jan 18, 2010, 5:18 PM
Post #26 of 52 (1751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mz1] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

mz1 wrote:
Hi,

I've joined the forum here on order to do some research for something I'm working on. I am in the process of writing a script for a radio drama as part of my A2 coursework for English, with our initial text being "Touching The Void" by Joe Simpson.

I am looking at the themes of companionship here and will write about two people finding one another to climb with.

My question is "What do you look for in a climbing companion?" If you could answer this, or even tell me how you have found some of your climbing companions, I would be extremely grateful!

Many Thanks,

Miles

Someone who will cut my rope instead of passing a knot.

Someone who will burn my spare clothes when the things I am wearing are soaked in blood, sweat, and piss.

Someone to play "Simon Says" with on a regular basis.

jcrew

Jan 18, 2010, 5:28 PM
Post #27 of 52 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

markc wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
I won't trad climb with someone who doesn't lead.

How else can you manage to hog all the leads?

CoolCool

boymeetsrock

Jan 18, 2010, 9:30 PM
Post #28 of 52 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinion there are a few specific areas that are important when choosing a climbing partner.

1) Climbing ability and experience. This is my first criteria and the major deciding factor in the level of difficulty/ commitment I will accept with this person. Further, I will not just jump into serious climbing objectives with people I have not climbed with before. The rare exception being a person who comes with a strong resume and a strong recommendation from a regular climbing partner.

2) Personality goes a long way to making an experience or a relationship. If your personality sucks, we probably wont climb much if at all. If you have a great personality then I may be willing to undertake some more serious climbs with you. Personality becomes especially important on longer or more challenging trips where your partners disposition can really effect your experience.

3) Similar to personality, attitude and drive are very important and will dictate the types of adventures we will undertake together. I'm not dragging you anywhere. You need to want to go where we are planning to go, and stick to that goal despite what could be great adversity/ challenge.

I've met climbing partners in many different ways. Some were people I met through climbing and was able to assess their abilities before we tied into a rope together. Some people I met on this particular forum. I climbed with them with no prior knowledge of their ability and the days objectives were chosen with that in mind. I've met total strangers at the crag and roped up with them because neither of us had partners. There are many ways to meet people to climb with, and each has its own issues to be concerned with. Most of the people I've met have been good to climb with, but there is the occasional person who was scary, boring, aggravating, stupid, slow....

One neat thing about climbing relationships is they can be wildly varying. Some partners form STRONG friendships, and will get together at any opportunity, becoming almost family.

There are other partnerships that are built and maintained out of necessity for someone who will undertake your objective, keep up, keep you safe. It is possible that these partners could hate each other but share a common goal...

Then there are the partnerships that aren't really partnerships. Those people who you met up with for various reasons, and vow to yourself you will never rope up with them again for whatever reason.

I guess what sets climbing relationships apart from so many others is that we make the choice to trust our partner with our life. This is no small statement, and really creates the unique dynamic found in climbing partnerships. If there was one factor which identified the climbing relationship, I think it would stem from this point.

fxgranite

Jan 18, 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #29 of 52 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A nice car and a lead foot

majid_sabet

Jan 18, 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #30 of 52 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

mz1 wrote:
Hi,

I've joined the forum here on order to do some research for something I'm working on. I am in the process of writing a script for a radio drama as part of my A2 coursework for English, with our initial text being "Touching The Void" by Joe Simpson.

I am looking at the themes of companionship here and will write about two people finding one another to climb with.

My question is "What do you look for in a climbing companion?" If you could answer this, or even tell me how you have found some of your climbing companions, I would be extremely grateful!

Many Thanks,

Miles

I found Angry (my lost soul) and I am a happy man

Partner angry

Jan 18, 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #31 of 52 (1670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
mz1 wrote:
Hi,

Many Thanks,

Miles

I found Angry (my lost soul) and I am a happy man

Wait, I'm confused. You have tits?

blueeyedclimber

Jan 19, 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #32 of 52 (1658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
If it's a girl she has to be hot.

I'm already married. This doesn't matter. Unless of course, we're talking about my wife, then yes she does.

In reply to:
If it's a guy he has to like whiskey.

I don't like whiskey.

In reply to:
I usually won't get on a multi-pitch with someone who doesn't know how to build a 3:1.

Why? Do you often need to be hauled up?

In reply to:

I would be psyched. That means I get to lead every pitch.

In reply to:
I won't sport climb with anyone who repeatedly takes, top ropes anything, or raps a single pitch with a prussik knot.

I take if I am working something. Sometimes I toprope in the gym. Although I don't usually use a backup on a single pitch, I have.

Seems to me, if you were serious about all these, you might have trouble finding partners. If you were tongue in cheek, then I won't climb with anyone who wears knickers or says Y'all. Tongue

Josh

mr.tastycakes

Jan 19, 2010, 1:52 AM
Post #33 of 52 (1642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

a good weed connection.

rtwilli4

Jan 23, 2010, 2:37 PM
Post #34 of 52 (1571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:

Seems to me, if you were serious about all these, you might have trouble finding partners. If you were tongue in cheek, then I won't climb with anyone who wears knickers or says Y'all. Tongue

Josh

That means you don't get to climb in NC ;)

Partner j_ung

Jan 23, 2010, 3:09 PM
Post #35 of 52 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RC ISO CP for T, S, B or other. Must have SCA/TK and HGLP. No compulsive complainers, please.

hndanatomy

Jan 28, 2010, 7:32 AM
Post #36 of 52 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aside from the basics: safety, knowledge, similar climbing level, experience, tolerable personality, etc, I try to partner with climbers who who solves the crux differently than I do. Someone whose strengths are different than mine so our base is more solid.

airscape

Jan 28, 2010, 7:46 AM
Post #37 of 52 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mz1 wrote:
Hi,

Many Thanks,

Miles

a grigri.

ladyscarlett

Jan 28, 2010, 9:25 AM
Post #38 of 52 (1495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Boobs

Damn! based on this and supporting posts, I'm totally screwed...

I guess I'll have to go about it the old fashioned way and actually find people who can have fun with me...preferably as high as we can get! heh heh heh

good luck

cheers

ls

blueeyedclimber

Jan 28, 2010, 1:10 PM
Post #39 of 52 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Boobs

I've got boobs. Would you climb with me?

Josh

karmiclimber

Jan 28, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #40 of 52 (1463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is like asking me what type of man I like to date. Its complex to explain! I agree with the other poster who said their partners were either adequate or awesome. I've also climbed with assholes...the ones who make climbing unfun by being angry or self-absorbed or know it all. Or not sober, which in my opinion, is the worst. I don't climb or belay intoxicated and my partner should not either. Most of my climbing partners have been more experienced that I am. I am kind of wussy. But I taught my current partner how to climb and we have a blast and its cool to be the leader and experienced one now. I think for most climbers, the need for what kind of partner evolves over time. And the best partners are the ones who always have your back, you see eye to eye with and are good friends with and the rest will fall into place.

Partner euroford

Jan 28, 2010, 4:18 PM
Post #41 of 52 (1457 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

willingness to carry heavy packs up nasty approaches and lead the pitches that i don't want.

duh.

dingus

Jan 28, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #42 of 52 (1449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I only climb with my friends really. Ability takes a huge back seat to friendship. I don't have a lot of steady partners, 3-5 depending, mostly 1 or 2 though.

I have no real concrete goals in climbing, never really did either. Just some nebulous 'would like to do somedays.'

I will go where my friends want to go, a lot of the time. Willing to help them with their goals and dreams as I was once helped myself.

Don't get me wrong, I go to climb, not to hang out. But I mostly do it with friends and mostly with close friends. Saves time on explanations!

DMT

jcrew

Jan 28, 2010, 4:43 PM
Post #43 of 52 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
angry wrote:
Boobs

Damn! based on this and supporting posts, I'm totally screwed...

i think you could slide in under the "babe" clause.

boltdagunks

Feb 1, 2010, 6:51 PM
Post #44 of 52 (1388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jcrew] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only climb with RC.com posers cause they have read every written word on safety.

tehbillzor

Feb 1, 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #45 of 52 (1353 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] What do you look for in a climbing companion? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1) How well can they Belay/Spot me
2) How well can they climb (close to or above my level preferably)
3) Do our personalities promote synergy or cacophony
4) Are they prompt, and maintain good communication (on and of the rocks)
5) Do I really want to trust my life to this person?

dr_feelgood

Feb 1, 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #46 of 52 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mz1 wrote:
As I mentioned before, the text I am working from is "Touching the Void", which is a climbing book....

I am not focusing on details of climbing within, yet the ideas and themes of friendship and companions.

Has anyone here ever been to a group where you can meet people to climb with?

Alcoholics Anonymous?

dr_feelgood

Feb 1, 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #47 of 52 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
If it's a girl she has to be hot.

If it's a guy he has to like whiskey.

I usually won't get on a multi-pitch with someone who doesn't know how to build a 3:1.

I won't sport climb with anyone who repeatedly takes, top ropes anything, or raps a single pitch with a prussik knot.

PM happiegirl. I think she fits all of your criteria, and has about as many rules as you do.

mrtristan

Feb 2, 2010, 7:52 AM
Post #48 of 52 (1322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I look for someone who 1) is experienced/knows what they're doing, and 2) has the same climbing goals as me. In other words, he wants to climb the same things that I want to climb.

I've met my best climbing partners through mutual friends.

TarHeelEMT

Feb 5, 2010, 4:19 PM
Post #49 of 52 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mz1 wrote:
Hi,

Many Thanks,

Miles

It depends. I climb trad almost exclusively, and there are two basic types of partners that I have:

1) Somebody for a fun, easy day out cragging. I'll take just about anybody who is fun to hang out with and can be trusted to give a good belay. I really enjoy taking folks new to climbing out for a day on easy stuff. All that matters here is fun to hang out with, and preferably female.

2) Somebody to push my limits with. There are very few people that I'll climb with here, and I need full faith in their protection skills and decision making. I still haven't decided which of those is more important to me. Probably the latter. One of my regular climbing partners is a guy that I initially didn't trust because he had a flair for overstating his abilities. I played it very carefully with him until, over time, I came to realize that it was just talk, and that he was as careful and measured as me when it came to actually making decisions. I have to know that they're going to make the right decisions to keep both of us safe.
I made the mistake of doing a challenging alpine trip with a guy whose abilities I had doubts about, and I ended up with my first epic as a result.

kachoong

Feb 5, 2010, 4:49 PM
Post #50 of 52 (1280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A campfire is a great place to find partners. Just don't climb with those that put out the fire with their spray.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook