Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Camping at Pennyrile forest State park
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

lonegreeneagle

Dec 22, 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #1 of 8 (3065 views)
Shortcut

Camping at Pennyrile forest State park  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: West: Dawson_Bluffs__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can anyone tell me about the climbing and how easy/hard is it to get to from Pennyrile?
I will be bringing my nephew and nieces out there for their first assault on rock. any recommendations, they are all under 14 years of age?
We prefer to bottom rope newbies, but I am willing to top rope them! If I have to top rope then i can't be with them on the ground abviously.
Not this site I know!
Is the water good for introducing them to canoeing and kayaking?
Thank You
Van

DavidArlaud

Jan 23, 2010, 9:45 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lonegreeneagle] Camping at Pennyrile forest State park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a few good 5.6 climbs here. I would check out Drug Helmet, and a climb called Inferno that is not listed in this guide. You can find it easiest this way: Find Paratrooper and position yourself in front of it. If you look to the right you will see a hallway just to the right of a slab wall. The first bolted route on the left side of the hallway is a super easy 5.5/6. There are also a couple 5.7's like Old Ironsides and Paratrooper, though Paratrooper has a very challenging start for a 5.7. The distance from Pennyrile is maybe 15 mins? Somewhere along those lines. Though if you like backwoods camping I suggest camping at the base of Dawson Bluff itself. Camping is permitted there and is free, but there are no ammennities, just woods and bluffs.

doverhxc

Feb 8, 2010, 3:54 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lonegreeneagle] Camping at Pennyrile forest State park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a few good begginer routes, like Dave said. The routes can be hard to find if you don't know your way around, I would suggest printing some of the descriptions from this page and checking it out ahead of time. As for the water, it would not be good for paddling, most places are only a few inches deep.

ebag17

Feb 8, 2010, 4:18 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doverhxc] Camping at Pennyrile forest State park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I actually just climbed there today and had a lot of fun. So, there are routes on a second level between the bottom and top of the bluff? I could see chains but couldn't find out how to get to the second level. How many more routes are up there? it's directly above that huge boulder that has maybe four routes bolted around the sides? I dunno. I've never been there before. It was a confusing area.

DavidArlaud

Feb 10, 2010, 3:00 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebag17] Camping at Pennyrile forest State park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah there are routes up there. The easiest way would probably be to hike to the top and rap in. That's what we did one day. Great exposure and a fun Rap.

doverhxc

Feb 11, 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you ever need some people to climb with out there, I am usually available, and I'm sure Dave will come if he can find the time. My number is 931-627-2142, my name is Ryan. Just let me know, and I can call Dave.

ebag17

Feb 11, 2010, 2:01 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doverhxc] Camping at Pennyrile forest State park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That would be great. Friends and I all go to Murray State University and it's about 50 minutes away. We usually go over the weekend, Thursdays, or just whenever we can get out of class. We've been trying to spend a weekend at Kings Bluff but this weather just doesn't not seem to be cooperating. My names Gabriel by the way and if you're ever going out give us call at (502)417-2425.

doverhxc

Feb 12, 2010, 1:28 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Will do. This weather has been quite frustrating.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook