Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

karmiclimber

Jan 26, 2010, 3:32 AM
Post #1 of 29 (23391 views)
Shortcut

Sports bra?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for a new sports bra...and I'd love to get some recommendations. I've heard great things about the Lululemon "ta ta tamer"...but since they are more geared towards yoga, I don't know if it will work for climbing. I've been wearing one by Under Armor, but it smooshes the girls and gives me the dreaded uniboob as do the Prana tanks I wear with the shelf bras that are of NO HELP to me. Thoughts? I'm a 34 C for reference.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 26, 2010, 3:45 AM
Post #2 of 29 (23381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, Patagonia and any other outdoors clothing company that makes undies could do well making bras that offer the same support as a regular bra, but made in materials that absorb sweat/dry quickly.

We don't need the *stabilization* of sports bras made to handle the jarring motion of running, yet that is what nearly all sports bras seem to be built for. And from having that restriction of motion, we end up with the uniboob, as you called it.

This one http://www.herroom.com/...439-Sports-Bra.shtml might be of interest to you. I have never tried it, though. And the idea of any underwire for outdoors activewear makes me leary.

carabiner96

Jan 26, 2010, 4:05 AM
Post #3 of 29 (23379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"As Seen on the Breast Breakthrough episode of The Doctors, September 2009."

*snicker*

karmiclimber

Jan 26, 2010, 5:13 AM
Post #4 of 29 (23373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are a silly girl 'biner :-)

I totally agree happie...i don't want an underwire. I think I'll give this tata tamer a whirl and report back.

tigerlilly

Jan 26, 2010, 2:43 PM
Post #5 of 29 (23343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This place has one of the largest selections of sports bras I have seen anywhere: http://www.titlenine.com/home.do?code=PMDT9

I can't make any specific recommendations that would be relevant to you. I'm an A, and a couple of band-aids would work for me. Blush

Kathy

lena_chita

Jan 26, 2010, 3:00 PM
Post #6 of 29 (23342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tigerlilly wrote:
I can't make any specific recommendations that would be relevant to you. I'm an A, and a couple of band-aids would work for me. Blush

Kathy

LOL, I should make that into a signature. I'm with you in that department.

Karmicimber, check out Mountain Hardwear and Patagonia. That's what my friend in the "32-34 C" category wears. And I can attest that her rack looks very nice in those, and not at all uni-booby.

karmiclimber

Jan 26, 2010, 3:22 PM
Post #7 of 29 (23339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are so lucky. I'd give anything to be an A...I could just whip out my four year olds barbie band aid stash and call it a day.
Thanks for the recs...I had no idea mtn hardwear made bras. Interesting.

granite_grrl

Jan 26, 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #8 of 29 (23304 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a big fan of the Patagonia bras. The Active Mesh bra is my standard:
http://www.patagonia.com/...sh-bra?p=32103-0-868
Still a little unibooby, but not terrible. They do have a slight cup separation, better than the other sports bras that I have. Even though they still squish the girls a bit (I accept that that's pretty much what sport bras do) I don't care 'cause I think they're so pretty in the variety of designs and colours.

Looking through their products they also have the "everyday" bra which might be exactly what you're looking for: http://www.patagonia.com/...bra-bc?p=32350-0-873

FWIW I'm a 36C, and I think I'm between a medium and a large for the Active Mesh bra.

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on Jan 26, 2010, 10:07 PM)

Partner macherry

Jan 26, 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #9 of 29 (23302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
tigerlilly wrote:

Kathy

LOL, I should make that into a signature. I'm with you in that department.

Karmicimber, check out Mountain Hardwear and Patagonia. That's what my friend in the "32-34 C" category wears. And I can attest that her rack looks very nice in those, and not at all uni-booby.

me too. i love the barely there bra from patagonia. very comfy.
i would try looking at the patagonia line...for all shapes and sizes

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 26, 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #10 of 29 (23289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Edit: Oops - I thought this was about the "barely there active Mesh" bra as shown in the large photo of the link. Never mind.... (but I'll leave it up anyway).

I tried one of those basic Patagonia bras. I am 36C and it was NOT a good bra, even for in-the-city use.

It was simply too small, for lack of a better term, and I bought their Size Large(in store, perhaps they have a broader assortment available ordering online)

It had no support, and I found it riding up so that the lower portion of my breasts popped out from under. Really not the look you want to suddenly notice, when you are wearing a form-fitting t-shirt and walk passed a mirror in a public room... (not that that actually happened to me, but still).

Pretty patterns and colors for sure, and the material would be good for outside on hot days, except for the issues of being a C cup. It is probably great for A cup, and maybe some B's who are petite and under 36.

The panties made to match, though, I really like. The material is quick-wicking and comfortable. I have both thongs and boy shorts, and the boy short is a tough undie to camouflage VPL with, but that Patagonia brief does it!

(This post was edited by happiegrrrl on Jan 26, 2010, 11:29 PM)

lhwang

Feb 1, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #11 of 29 (23197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have significant tatas to tame so haven't tried that specific bra, but I really like lululemon's deep v bra and the flow y bra. The flow y might not be enough support for you.

Their tanks are nice too... more support than those shelf bras.

acacongua

Feb 3, 2010, 3:09 AM
Post #12 of 29 (23132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've recently looked into this for running and Champion came out on top for comfort, bounceless and look. I shop for mine at TJMaxx. They are 10-12.00. They've got great-looking tops that you can use for climbing but do try them on in the store because the size can vary per style.

Other brands to consider are Marmot and Moving Comfort.

tallgirl

Feb 3, 2010, 3:20 PM
Post #13 of 29 (23106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought two sports bras at the GAP of all places and they are great. I am a D cup and they don't give me uniboob and are pretty comfortable. It also isn't a racer back which i think is helpful for the C D cup wearers. Athleta [http://athleta.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=46915]
a division of gap has great sports bras but they are expensive! I don't know, maybe a great investment or look for sales.

jsh

Feb 3, 2010, 5:50 PM
Post #14 of 29 (23092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallgirl] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dana, seriously, the Gap? Tell me more ...... was this recent, that you found them there?

I second the motion for title nine - they have by far the best selection and most detailed descriptions / criteria for bra fit (the user feedback online is helpful too). Their return / exchange policy is great.

My go-to bra is T9's Frog Bra, which may look like a simple shelf thing, but the fabric is this crazy stiff-but-stretchy nylon that works perfectly. I just wish it were easier to pull on when I'm already sweating, that can be a struggle. Someone recommended it to me once, so I'm passing on that favor.

clausti

Feb 3, 2010, 8:56 PM
Post #15 of 29 (23078 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
I tried one of those basic Patagonia bras. I am 36C and it was NOT a good bra, even for in-the-city use.

patagonia makes their bras in different support classes. i don't really think any of the "barely there" styles are intended for the bigger cup sizes. i always buy their "high impact" style, and i like them a LOT. i live in mine (i have multiples, yes, of a $50 bra), that and a MHW double-layer one that i'm not sure they make anymore. i'm a 30C-30D, which is exactly as impossible to find a 'normal' bra in as it sounds like, so i wear sports bras all the time.

(This post was edited by clausti on Feb 3, 2010, 9:01 PM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 3, 2010, 9:09 PM
Post #16 of 29 (23067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was only referring to the "active mesh" one. Haven't seen the others in store,m and I am not an online shopper...

But I did just go on their site to see what you were referring to, and the High Impact bra is on sale right now. Just FYI

I also happened past that store mentioned above, Lulumon or whatever. I'd never herd of it before this thread, so went in. I saw that TaTa Tamer and it looks like it is probably pretty comfortable if your body is the right shape for it(not you, Clausti, I just mean in general now).

But it also seems pretty heavy, material-wise. I would not be happy I don't think, wearing that on a humid summer day. It's also sort of iron-clad looking in construction. Like it really hugs. Personally, I hate to have to wiggle out of my top at day's end. especially if I am sweaty.

granite_grrl

Feb 3, 2010, 9:17 PM
Post #17 of 29 (23067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

patagonia makes their bras in different support classes. i don't really think any of the "barely there" styles are intended for the bigger cup sizes. i always buy their "high impact" style, and i like them a LOT. i live in mine (i have multiples, yes, of a $50 bra), that and a MHW double-layer one that i'm not sure they make anymore. i'm a 30C-30D, which is exactly as impossible to find a 'normal' bra in as it sounds like, so i wear sports bras all the time.
Actually, at the same size that Happie says she is (36C), I have a Barely bra, and the one made for the A/B cup at that! It has NO support for me, but I just bought it so I could wear those shirts of mine with plunging neck lines again (scars on my sides make it very uncomfortable to wear underwire bras period). It works, you just have to accept a bit of jiggle. ;) (note, it's not an embarrassing amount if jiggle).

FWIW I have a C/D version linked in my post above, but it has the racer back which I didn't want.

wjca

Feb 3, 2010, 11:17 PM
Post #18 of 29 (23043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edge PM'd.

tallgirl

Feb 4, 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #19 of 29 (23006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsh] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was about a year ago...so may be tough now. I take really good care of them-wash by hand and air dry because they are precious! A hard bra is good to find!

acacongua

Feb 5, 2010, 6:53 PM
Post #20 of 29 (22959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallgirl] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI: Gap, Inc now has an athletic clothing store and I think it's Athleta.

BTW, when I spoke about the Champion bra, I forgot to mention that I went by consumer review and the top rated bras.

aerili

Feb 5, 2010, 8:08 PM
Post #21 of 29 (22955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
patagonia makes their bras in different support classes. i don't really think any of the "barely there" styles are intended for the bigger cup sizes.

I bought one of those "barely there" bras at last year's closeout sale at my local Patagonia outlet--$6 for a normally-$26 bra. What a joke that thing is! It's almost pointless to even wear it!

Luckily (or unluckily?) I am really small, so it doesn't matter--I occasionally wear it under another tank just for added coverage if the tank is low-cut, but otherwise it could double in function as a dishcloth. CrazyCrazyLaugh

A couple years ago I bought a (regular) bra for climbing: it's awesome, has no underwire, no tags, good coverage, looks fairly streamlined under tight clothing and is super comfy. (Not very sexy, but who givesza #$*&@) It's made by Warner's and is model # 02044

clee03m

Feb 5, 2010, 8:38 PM
Post #22 of 29 (22950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:
I've recently looked into this for running and Champion came out on top for comfort, bounceless and look. I shop for mine at TJMaxx. They are 10-12.00. They've got great-looking tops that you can use for climbing but do try them on in the store because the size can vary per style.

Other brands to consider are Marmot and Moving Comfort.

I also love my champion bras. Got mine at costco.

azenari

Feb 6, 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #23 of 29 (22935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Patagonia sports bras do not work for me but i keep some just for looks. I'm a 32C. Moving comfort makes some ok ones but try googling "Encapsulated sports bra". Encapsulation vs. compression gets rid of the uniboob and gives more support.

lena_chita

Feb 6, 2010, 1:54 AM
Post #24 of 29 (22931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [azenari] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading this thread gives me appreciation for all the things I don't have to worry about.

acacongua

Feb 6, 2010, 1:57 PM
Post #25 of 29 (22912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why? You don't have boobies?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook