Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

k.l.k

Jan 27, 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #101 of 125 (2159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
Ps- finally read the whole thread- took awhile. Big thanks to all those who appreciate the work I do- it's truly a labor of love.

Alright, iPhone posting = PITA, see ya next week for realz!

did you get freebie for MFGs for your writeup or not?

It's irrelevant. Aside from the general lameness of OR swag, nothing anyone gives him will come close to paying for his expenses.

Even more to the point, the OR report isn't a product review. OR is nothing but a PR rollout. That's all it is: The whole frickin thing is a PR event. And a chance for the reps to get drunk.

There's nothing anyone could do to corrupt it.

johnwesely

Jan 27, 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #102 of 125 (2151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
Alright you little monsters, the OR Article has been uploaded- so, look for it sometime tomorrow or Friday, depending. Daniel is far far away, and time zones play havoc with timely article approval.

Enjoy!

I feel like you should get a free pass with article approval.

vegastradguy

Jan 27, 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #103 of 125 (2141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
Ps- finally read the whole thread- took awhile. Big thanks to all those who appreciate the work I do- it's truly a labor of love.

raise you r hand

No, i do not get freebies from manufacturers for my write-ups of the Outdoor Retailer show.

scottek67

Jan 28, 2010, 5:48 AM
Post #104 of 125 (2097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I have a good feeling that VTG did get freebies from MFGs for his writeups and did not do it freely.

so whatyouget ?

free cams ?

ropes? shoes ?
vegastradguy wrote:
roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
they dont allow press in with out PR. this is actually true of all of the big companies and most of the mid size ones.
No fair whining about getting suggestions when you asked for them! Besides at 4-6 free beers per day and probably a few t-shirts and other schwag, you aren't entirely uncompensated.

i asked for suggestions on who i should visit that isnt on my list- i didnt ask you how to do my job.

re: schwag- yes, there is some schwag (MAJID) to be sure, but it doesnt exactly PAY for my plane tickets, hotel rooms, food, rent, bills, etc, etc, now does it?

re: beers- if i could drink, i would- if for no other reason than to drown out the whining from the folks doing the armchair bitching about how shitty my coverage of the OR show is.
I have to say I enjoy reading your coverage of the shows (the few I have read were well done) but I'm confused... Is this your job or was that just a slip? If it is your job I assume it WOULD pay for your food, rent, bills, etc. I hope you had a great time either way and looking forward to another good read.

majid_sabet

Jan 28, 2010, 8:19 AM
Post #105 of 125 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

It's irrelevant. Aside from the general lameness of OR swag, nothing anyone gives him will come close to paying for his expenses.

Even more to the point, the OR report isn't a product review. OR is nothing but a PR rollout. That's all it is: The whole frickin thing is a PR event. And a chance for the reps to get drunk.

There's nothing anyone could do to corrupt it.

I go to trade shows very often and most of the time , its about hooking up with the right person at the right place so instead of sucking tons of bal*s, you suck a few and get what you want alright !!!

dude has been writing up good stuff about ropes, this biner and that backpack for long time in RC and do not tell me, he is just doing it for free.

so now you want to tell me that whatever he wrote about those model shoes or rope was right out of his heart and without keeping that rope

right?

yaa right

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jan 28, 2010, 8:19 AM)

scottek67

Jan 28, 2010, 8:31 AM
Post #106 of 125 (2074 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by scottek67 [In reply to]
Report this Post

vegastradguy

Jan 28, 2010, 4:59 PM
Post #107 of 125 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Scottek67- it is the job I do for rockclimbing.com- aka volunteer work. I do not receive a paycheck for the work I do for this site (nor does anyone else, except maybe ddt, but I'm not sure on that).

Majid- kindly fuck off. I'm not going to get into an argument with you about my motivations for doing this work. My total swag haul at this show amounted to about $50 in nalgene bottles and a headlamp that I already own. My total trip cost was near $2000. Do the math, if you can.

Partner cracklover

Jan 28, 2010, 5:04 PM
Post #108 of 125 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

God you guys seem to like drama. Even with Majid. Yech. Anyway, if you even care, (I'm starting to wonder) here's the link to VTG's report: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...10_Wrap-Up_1082.html

Cheers,

GO

majid_sabet

Jan 28, 2010, 6:11 PM
Post #109 of 125 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scottek67 wrote:
so Majid you sucked a few balls at the last show...
what did you get?
free cams?
rope?
shoes?
a new partner?
or just really bad ball-breath and a bad rep?BlushI couldn't resist!Laugh

I only suck to receive donations for organizations I am affiliated with and not for personal needs plus, I got plenty of gear on my own to gear up 10 group to do big wall at the same time and one or two cams are a just drop in a bucket.

Partner j_ung

Jan 28, 2010, 6:55 PM
Post #110 of 125 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Long ago, RC.com began adding disclaimers to gear reviews to say, plainly and clearly, whether or not a gear reviewer took ownership of that gear for their efforts. There has been no cover up of such information. On the contrary, it is completely transparent (for anybody who can read and write English above a third-grade level).

John is not compensated in cash, check or expense reimbursement for what he does. As he said, do the math. In all I would estimate that John is in the hole somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000-$6000 for his efforts over the last few years to provide content to rockclimbing.com. The only time he was ever reimbursed for OR-show expenses was last winter, and even then, the site was unable to reimburse him for all of it. He still had to eat around half the cost. So while you, Majid, may think there's something nefarious going on, what you're actually doing is haranguing a journalist who personally finances what he writes.

And while we're on the subject of compensation for content, the next time somebody complains about how RC.com makes money on what users post here, they might just want to take into account the sacrifices John Wilder has made for the sake of informing climbers about climbing gear. I imagine his outlay-to-compensation ratio exceeds every other single person's on here (with the possible exception of adatesman) by orders of magnitude.

Majid, you think you're uncovering some huge conspiracy here, but in reality you're showing your ignorance, and I'll add, acting like a world-class bastard. Do think you're the only person in the climbing community who cares about other climbers?

Partner j_ung

Jan 28, 2010, 6:58 PM
Post #111 of 125 (2016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
Alright you little monsters, the OR Article has been uploaded- so, look for it sometime tomorrow or Friday, depending. Daniel is far far away, and time zones play havoc with timely article approval.

Enjoy!

That's because you've never had to proofread his work. Laugh

vegastradguy

Jan 28, 2010, 7:01 PM
Post #112 of 125 (2012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

Enjoy!

That's because you've never had to proofread his work. Laugh

ouch! Sly

thanks for getting the article up so quick, jay- much appreciated (as is your previous post).

dingus

Jan 28, 2010, 7:12 PM
Post #113 of 125 (2005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I have to chime in here too.

So a guy gets a cam in the mail, to test. He writes an article, keeps the cam.

BIG... payout. Oh my.

I still use and enjoy the Link Cams that were sent to me by OP for review. They rock - that is The Rest of the Story.

Given the decline and fall of this site it doesn't fucking matter one whit anyway. It will all go in the e-bin eventually; lock stock and barrel. A great sound and fury... signifying nothing

DMT

majid_sabet

Jan 28, 2010, 8:09 PM
Post #114 of 125 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Long ago, RC.com began adding disclaimers to gear reviews to say, plainly and clearly, whether or not a gear reviewer took ownership of that gear for their efforts. There has been no cover up of such information. On the contrary, it is completely transparent (for anybody who can read and write English above a third-grade level).

John is not compensated in cash, check or expense reimbursement for what he does. As he said, do the math. In all I would estimate that John is in the hole somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000-$6000 for his efforts over the last few years to provide content to rockclimbing.com. The only time he was ever reimbursed for OR-show expenses was last winter, and even then, the site was unable to reimburse him for all of it. He still had to eat around half the cost. So while you, Majid, may think there's something nefarious going on, what you're actually doing is haranguing a journalist who personally finances what he writes.

And while we're on the subject of compensation for content, the next time somebody complains about how RC.com makes money on what users post here, they might just want to take into account the sacrifices John Wilder has made for the sake of informing climbers about climbing gear. I imagine his outlay-to-compensation ratio exceeds every other single person's on here (with the possible exception of adatesman) by orders of magnitude.

Majid, you think you're uncovering some huge conspiracy here, but in reality you're showing your ignorance, and I'll add, acting like a world-class bastard. Do think you're the only person in the climbing community who cares about other climbers?

no, I am not the only climber however, I feel, I am very open to talk about what I do ( to proper audience) without taking sides. I personally rather see a group climbers talk about a gear or their experience with an specific equipment than writing three pages of lovely report about an item just because I got a free rope.

kriso9tails

Jan 28, 2010, 8:22 PM
Post #115 of 125 (1986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I personally rather see a group climbers talk about a gear or their experience with an specific equipment than writing three pages of lovely report about an item just because I got a free rope.

Perhaps, someday, you'll learn how to view things in context, and suddenly whole new worlds will open up for you.

Perhaps not.

vegastradguy

Jan 28, 2010, 8:55 PM
Post #116 of 125 (1975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

no, I am not the only climber however, I feel, I am very open to talk about what I do ( to proper audience) without taking sides. I personally rather see a group climbers talk about a gear or their experience with an specific equipment than writing three pages of lovely report about an item just because I got a free rope.

you really seem to be hung up on the idea that i got free stuff to talk about everything- you do realize that MOST ITEMS featured in this article are not in production yet, right? ALL of them are samples, and, as a result, are NOT SWAG.

if you've been to trade shows, you really should know that nothing of value is GIVEN away to anyone- there is some stuff for sale, and some small things (as i mentioned above) are given away, but thats about it- the shows are designed as a PR tool to PREVIEW SAMPLES of upcoming product- most companies dont even bring production gear to the show- after all, you can go get that in a store, cant you?

did i purchase some things for myself at the show- yes. am i going to tell you what those items were? no.

did i get some things for free? yes. i have already told you what they were- a couple of nalgenes and a headlamp. oh, and a pair of socks. sorry, forgot about that one. grand retail value- $50-$60, maybe.

so, there's transparency for you- is that open enough for you?

k.l.k

Jan 28, 2010, 8:58 PM
Post #117 of 125 (1973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I go to trade shows very often and most of the time , its about hooking up with the right person at the right place so instead of sucking tons of bal*s, you suck a few

There's a mental image I really didn't need.

caughtinside

Jan 28, 2010, 9:29 PM
Post #118 of 125 (1958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
I go to trade shows very often and most of the time , its about hooking up with the right person at the right place so instead of sucking tons of bal*s, you suck a few

I have been sucking the wrong balls all these years? WTF?!

dingus

Jan 28, 2010, 9:33 PM
Post #119 of 125 (1933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes and they're quite soggy now and really tied of being caughtinside!

BwaHa!

BwaHAHA!

DMT

caughtinside

Jan 28, 2010, 9:43 PM
Post #120 of 125 (1919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Yes and they're quite soggy now and really tied of being caughtinside!

BwaHa!

BwaHAHA!

DMT

Damn. That's enough to make me cry the real tears. I wanted free shooz but I don't climb gud.

majid_sabet

Jan 28, 2010, 9:52 PM
Post #121 of 125 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
k.l.k wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I have been sucking the wrong balls all these years? WTF?!

not just in climbing but almost in any type of business or activities, its all about sucking the right person at the right place and time .

Now I feel bad about John earning only $60 . I will offer him my free lub job 101 training for free.

Partner j_ung

Jan 29, 2010, 2:41 PM
Post #122 of 125 (1873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

you really seem to be hung up on the idea that i got free stuff to talk about everything- you do realize that MOST ITEMS featured in this article are not in production yet, right? ALL of them are samples, and, as a result, are NOT SWAG.

if you've been to trade shows, you really should know that nothing of value is GIVEN away to anyone- there is some stuff for sale, and some small things (as i mentioned above) are given away, but thats about it- the shows are designed as a PR tool to PREVIEW SAMPLES of upcoming product- most companies dont even bring production gear to the show- after all, you can go get that in a store, cant you?

did i purchase some things for myself at the show- yes. am i going to tell you what those items were? no.

did i get some things for free? yes. i have already told you what they were- a couple of nalgenes and a headlamp. oh, and a pair of socks. sorry, forgot about that one. grand retail value- $50-$60, maybe.

so, there's transparency for you- is that open enough for you?

Forget it, John. Majid is about as argument proof as they come.

Majid: One plus one equals two.
You: Yes, and one plus two equals three.
Majid: Johnny, you have clue about number. One, plus one equals two. I be happy to give you My math course.
You: Yes, I KNOW one plus one equals two. You're not the only person who had elementary arithmetic. We're talking about different equations here. Both can be true at the same time.
Majid: Someday you learn why one plus one equals two. I been doing maths for longer than you been born.

Gmburns2000

Jan 29, 2010, 4:01 PM
Post #123 of 125 (1873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:

Majid: One plus one equals two.
You: Yes, and one plus two equals three.
Majid: Johnny, you have clue about number. One, plus one equals two. I be happy to give you My math course.
You: Yes, I KNOW one plus one equals two. You're not the only person who had elementary arithmetic. We're talking about different equations here. Both can be true at the same time.
Majid: Someday you learn why one plus one equals two. I been doing maths for longer than you been born.

hmmm...that was suspiciously pretty accurate.

kriso9tails

Jan 29, 2010, 6:23 PM
Post #124 of 125 (1851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking the same thing.

boymeetsrock

Jan 29, 2010, 7:01 PM
Post #125 of 125 (1844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't RC.com Sending Someone to the OR Show this year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maj_ung Sabet

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook