Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Copper Canyon hiking safety?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

amyha

Jan 30, 2010, 2:38 AM
Post #1 of 7 (8571 views)
Shortcut

Copper Canyon hiking safety?  (North_America: Mexico)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was hoping to get local intel about the security of backcountry travel, camping in and around Copper Canyon. I'd like to explore but hear alot about crime in Mexico lately. this is prime growing territory!

sonso45

Jan 31, 2010, 4:54 AM
Post #2 of 7 (8518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amyha] Copper Canyon hiking safety? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It sure is prime growing territory and you may have to plan carefully to avoid problems. You can find out about potential problems when you get there or avoid them by hiring a guide, like we did. You can also ask at your residence about the safe places to explore.

Stay on the beaten path and you should be ok.

julio412

Jan 31, 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #3 of 7 (8491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was down there maybe 20 years ago.
There use to be a small American run aid foundation
run out of Creel.
I believe there is an aid group out of L.A.
Also an RV outfit use to rent out spaces on railroad cars
through the canyon.
I think a little poking around the internet about the Tarahumaras, you should be able to find info.
Lonely planet and Eyewitness have good guides as well.
Since you're pretty far south of the border, I wouldn't expect too many problems.

aerili

Feb 2, 2010, 3:47 AM
Post #4 of 7 (8445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My dad was just down there 2 months ago. (He lives part time in Mexico, btw, so he is very familiar with 'how things are' down there on a day-to-day basis.)

He said to be honest, there is no real safe place regardless of where you go, guide or no guide. He said you will probably be able to travel around and be just fine, but there simply is no guarantee. For instance, he has friends in Mexico who refuse to even travel past Copper Canyon via road--they feel it is too dangerous. But my dad decided to go on a little vacation there regardless, so maybe you have to be semi-crazy, ha ha.

He said a local German artist's residence a few doors up the street from where he was staying by Copper Canyon was shot up one night with AK-47s. I think the guy was complaining about noise at night or something.

Another day my dad was pulled off to the side of the road shooting photos when some people pulled over in a truck passing by and told his Mexican companion that they shouldn't be stopping on the road like that--that people get robbed doing such things. They hide out and then come up out of nowhere and rob you.

I think the possibility of getting robbed and/or car-jacked is your biggest problem traveling in Mexico. Every time he comes back to the US he talks about these things happening as a regular part of life down there.

He knows an English-speaking guide if you want to go to Batopiles. I can let you know if you are interested.

(This post was edited by aerili on Feb 2, 2010, 3:49 AM)

amyha

Feb 4, 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #5 of 7 (8411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Copper Canyon hiking safety? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I'll take the guide info. We normally don't travel with guides as I find the self sufficiency part of the lure of adventure travel. However, I am finding it difficult to find logistic info. And I recognize that a guide may enhance the experience. Is this a climbing guide as well? We are changing our plans by the minute!
Thanks!
Amy

ozoneclimber

Feb 4, 2010, 1:08 AM
Post #6 of 7 (8404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Sierra Madre is a "lawless" portion of our continent... As they say. It is one of the "last frontiers" and a beautiful place. But, as a fellow gringo, I will never travel there alone again... I would absolutely not advise a woman to travel anywhere in Mexico alone, and I would say that it's suicide to do so in the Sierra Madre. I am not sexist in any way, but these people have a different look on life, and everyone's place in it...

A great book, and it describes the Sierra Madre to a T, "God's Middle Finger" by Richard Grant.

Pick it up and read it. It always makes me want to go back, and it is not fictitious, true story.

Bobby

aerili

Feb 8, 2010, 6:56 AM
Post #7 of 7 (8354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amy,

I do not think this guy is a climbing guide. But here is the info per my dad:

Martín Alcaraz http://batopilashotels@yahoo.com My good friend says he is a great guide and knows the whole region very well geographically and historically. I don't know anything about rock climbing near Batopilas although the canyon walls are about 6,000' high. He speaks English also.

His number from the US is 011 52 649-456-9045. I don't know if that is cell number but if it is there may have to a 1 added before the area code.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook