RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Feb 5, 2010, 5:55 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3045 views)
Shortcut

Eight Climbers and Skiers Killed in Iran Avalanche
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Eight skiers and climbers were killed by an avalanche in Iran's Alborz Mountains on a road between popular ski areas Shamshak and Dizzine, reported Iranian and international news agencies today. Rescuers saved another 49 victims, including three foreigners.

http://outside-blog.away.com/...-iran-avalanche.html

This was a bus load of climbers headed to mountain to train winter climbing. A group of 17 climbers got off the bus to start their hike up to the peak and then an avalanche comes and takes all 10 climber down the side of the hill. Few manage to escape but majority went down with snow. six climbers initially went with the first avalanche. two climbers from the group started searching for the missing six and then second avalanche followed by third one comes and kills the two searchers.

one of the two searchers was a friend and an experienced climbing instructor who spend so much time in Chamonix and Himalayas. When I got off the phone last night, they were telling me that the extend of the avalanche on the hills is more than 2 km long and the entire road was blocked by snow.

MS

icyfrosty

Feb 5, 2010, 6:08 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Eight Climbers and Skiers Killed in Iran Avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Horrible... sympathies to friends and family members.

petsfed

Feb 5, 2010, 8:07 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Eight Climbers and Skiers Killed in Iran Avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please tell me that this didn't involve any of the people you were trying to find cheap beacons for.

This hurts to hear.

majid_sabet

Feb 5, 2010, 8:40 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Eight Climbers and Skiers Killed in Iran Avalanche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Please tell me that this didn't involve any of the people you were trying to find cheap beacons for.

This hurts to hear.

I was planning to train at least some of the instructor from that club and even bought a few used avi beacons to take over there in March then suddenly this news came up.

My head hurts

ClimbClimb

Feb 12, 2010, 9:36 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very sorry to hear that, Majid, that's awful and really tough to be so close to both the people and the specific situation.
Condolences to you and to the families.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook