Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
where do i find good womens beginner climbing shoes?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

homeGrown

Mar 5, 2010, 12:31 AM
Post #1 of 9 (4157 views)
Shortcut

where do i find good womens beginner climbing shoes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ive just started back climbing and need some cheaper women's (size 7) climbing shoes...where do I find these?

petsfed

Mar 5, 2010, 2:15 AM
Post #2 of 9 (4145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [homeGrown] where do i find good womens beginner climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Typically, you're not gonna encounter women's specific shoes for beginners. The fit differences, while still present, doesn't impact the performance as much as the fact that you're a beginner.

So with that in mind, you should do a search for best beginner's shoes. There's loads of good information that direction.

lena_chita

Mar 5, 2010, 3:25 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [homeGrown] where do i find good womens beginner climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Find a store that carries climbing shoes. It might be a long trip for you, depending on where you live. Then try all shoes they have, not making distinction between mens or womens, and pick which one fits best... they should be snug, but not painful. Avoid extremely down-turned shoes for now, but do not limit yourself to just shoes that are labeled "beginner". Many shoes that are not beginner per se, but versatile all-day climbing shoes, will fit comfortably and work well for you.

If you are 'starting back', you should have some recollection of which shoes you wore before, right? Did you throw them away? You could see if the same model is still avialable.

robbovius

Mar 5, 2010, 5:09 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] where do i find good womens beginner climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My GF satarted climbing with me last spring, and I bought her some shoes for her Bday in june. she chose the women's Evolv Defys ( as far as I can tell the only difference betwen the womens adn mens is that the womens are light purple). she likes them alot. my middle daughter recently got new shoes and chose the same.

they are both relative beginners, but the evolvs are working well for them. YRMV

joanneding

Mar 6, 2010, 6:18 AM
Post #5 of 9 (4090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a pretty good comfy shoes for beginner/moderate. I can wear this all day long and not feel the pain and still able to hop on 11s. Good luck!
http://www.rei.com/product/802072

jedasmith

Mar 7, 2010, 3:32 AM
Post #6 of 9 (4070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] where do i find good womens beginner climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Evolv Defy is the black shoe- the purple shoes mentioned are Evolv Elektras. Most feel the Elektra is a little more narrow than the Defy.

robbovius

Mar 8, 2010, 7:22 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jedasmith] where do i find good womens beginner climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jedasmith wrote:
The Evolv Defy is the black shoe- the purple shoes mentioned are Evolv Elektras. Most feel the Elektra is a little more narrow than the Defy.

kerekt, tks MyB

clausti

Mar 10, 2010, 1:07 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] where do i find good womens beginner climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
My GF satarted climbing with me last spring, and I bought her some shoes for her Bday in june. she chose the women's Evolv Defys ( as far as I can tell the only difference betwen the womens adn mens is that the womens are light purple). she likes them alot. my middle daughter recently got new shoes and chose the same.

they are both relative beginners, but the evolvs are working well for them. YRMV

many women's shoes, even if they are a very similar footprint to the men's version, are lower volume. which often makes a pretty big difference in how much your foot rolls around in the shoe if you have narrow or flattish feet.

granite_grrl

Mar 10, 2010, 2:16 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] where do i find good womens beginner climbing shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
robbovius wrote:

many women's shoes, even if they are a very similar footprint to the men's version, are lower volume. which often makes a pretty big difference in how much your foot rolls around in the shoe if you have narrow or flattish feet.
For some shoes I'm not convinced. I was trying to demo Scarpa Forces last year and switched between the women's and men's versions trying to find the right size. The two styles felt the same to me.

Dito with Sportiva Katanas, though I have seen a lot of men wearing the women's version claiming a better fit. I don't notice a difference though.

The one brand where women's and men's are hugely different have been 5.10s. But 5.10 starts so wide in the first place that they're pretty bad for women otherwise. I believe that Evolv makes an effort to make their women's shoes work better for women too even though their line is generally fairly low volume.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook