Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Fossil Rock
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

SpidergripJ

Mar 5, 2010, 1:11 AM
Post #1 of 6 (6457 views)
Shortcut

Fossil Rock  (North_America: United_States: Washington)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This place is a great climbing area in my opinion. Why, because first off it's relativly close to the town of yelm. You basically go from a urban area to a mountain wilderness. So with that said it has incredible views. As for the climbing, the only place you will find better rock is in leavenworth. Every rock is grippy and unbreakable. There are numerous routes that the average up to the expert climber would enjoy. There are downsides however. Wehnhauser owns the property an they lock the gate. Be prepared because you might want to bring a mountain bike to speed things up a bit. The gravel road is a couple miles long. Overall all the climbing is great and any Washington climber should test it out. Oh and one more thing, unlike most climbing areas it is not crowded at all. You will see up to five people maybe in your trip. Good luck!

BriClimbs

Mar 13, 2010, 9:24 PM
Post #2 of 6 (6383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SpidergripJ] Fossil Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What about bouldering in this area? I've recently gotten into climbing, saving up for gear, but all I've got are some shoes and a crash pad. I checked this link out :

http://books.google.com/books?id=Hiq3yGt92hwC&pg=PA183&dq=fossil+rock+washing+climbing#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Some awesome info here, but nada whole lot about bouldering routes Frown So...any info would be great!

Thanks!

jacobbelsher

Mar 13, 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #3 of 6 (6363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SpidergripJ] Fossil Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if this is some kind of sick joke. I think it is because you describe the rock as being "unbreakable". point being, fossil rock is an awful crag. the incredible views are of clear cuts. there are not hard routes there. it is full of ticks. almost any other crag, nay, any other crag in washington will have superior rock. maybe not mt. eerie. what the fuck?

BriClimbs

Mar 14, 2010, 1:05 AM
Post #4 of 6 (6343 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacobbelsher] Fossil Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha alright yeah i should take the advice about ticks...where can i find good bouldering south of Olympia? This is all I need to know. Info=awesome.

jacobbelsher

Mar 14, 2010, 8:55 AM
Post #5 of 6 (6321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BriClimbs] Fossil Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

south of oly? Bishop, Ca? Joe's valley, Ut? otherwise, Leavenworth, Wa.

BriClimbs

Mar 14, 2010, 7:54 PM
Post #6 of 6 (6297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacobbelsher] Fossil Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So basically off of Hwy 2 and north of Oly as far as bouldering goes. Could try the boulder field out by Index, but hey what the hell, may as well bum off some friends for gear and do some TRing at smith rock, yeah? Thanks for the info.

(This post was edited by BriClimbs on Mar 14, 2010, 7:55 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook