RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

fxgranite

Mar 6, 2010, 5:55 AM
Post #1 of 21 (2007 views)
Shortcut

Jackets for those shaped like a triangle
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm looking for a new softshell after my last one's zipper gave out (the old style backcountry.com shift). Problem is I'm shaped like a triangle. I mean this literally. My waist is way skinnier than my chest and shoulders so finding a jacket (or any shirt really) that is long enough, has long enough sleeves, and does not balloon around my waist is damn near impossible. I've certainly never found anything other than a couple of fitted collared shirts.

To get a sense of this I took some quick measurements; 31-32" in the waist and 41-42" in the chest with 34-35" sleeves. This will only get worse when I get back into windsurfing this summer and my shoulders get ripped.

Does anyone know of any jackets or brands that try for more triangular shapes? I'm getting sick of always having vast quantities of extra material around my waist.

acorneau

Mar 6, 2010, 3:05 PM
Post #2 of 21 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fxgranite] Jackets for those shaped like a triangle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fxgranite wrote:

Does anyone know of any jackets or brands that try for more triangular shapes? I'm getting sick of always having vast quantities of extra material around my waist.

Initial thoughts:

1. Buy another Shift.
2. Have another jacket tailored to your liking.

Oh, and...

In reply to:
To get a sense of this I took some quick measurements; 31-32" in the waist and 41-42" in the chest with 34-35" sleeves. This will only get worse when I get back into windsurfing this summer and my shoulders get ripped.

3. Talk about SPRAY!!!

Sly

altelis

Mar 6, 2010, 9:05 PM
Post #3 of 21 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depending on the type of jacket you are looking for, biking specific clothing may fit your needs.

Biking jackets are form fitting, but the shoulders tend to be wider and the arms longer given the classic bike-riding position tends to accentuate the shoulders and stretch out the arms.

Oh, and way to spray. Real subtle.Tongue

dugl33

Mar 6, 2010, 9:40 PM
Post #4 of 21 (1915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got the same, er, "proportional problem (30, 40, & 35 sleeve)", and have had good luck with some of the Patagonia stuff, such as the spraymaster* jacket -- the medium fits close for me so not a lot of layers underneath, but the sleeves are long enough. You'd probably want the large. Their merino wool tops have long arms, too.

Of course I live a few blocks from the Patagucci outlet so I can get good deals... otherwise a bit spendy.

*wasn't intended as a joke, but kinda funny in the context of your post.

fxgranite

Mar 7, 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #5 of 21 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Jackets for those shaped like a triangle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
1. Buy another Shift
yeah I may do that but the reviews I've read seem to say that a lot of things have changed since the first version came out three years ago. None of them flattering so I've been looking for other options.

acorneau wrote:
2. Have another jacket tailored to your liking.
this will definitely fix the problem but I'm guessing it's far more expensive so I haven't really looked into it. If possible I'd like to avoid spending a boatload of cash on this.

altelis wrote:
Depending on the type of jacket you are looking for, biking specific clothing may fit your needs.
Interesting idea. I'll look into it. The only thing that concerns me would be the durability as I don't see a biking specific softshell being particularly able to handle the occasional offwidth but I don't have any data to back that up.

dugl33 wrote:
and have had good luck with some of the Patagonia stuff, such as the spraymaster* jacket
awesome, thanks. I'll see if I can find any stores in the area that stock Patagonia stuff and try some on.
*Definitely funny in the context of the post Wink

acorneau wrote:
3. Talk about SPRAY!!!
altelis wrote:
Oh, and way to spray. Real subtle.
I know but there was no avoiding it so I drank a bunch of beers and went all outTongue Secretly I was hoping to find other triangular people who wanted to jump on the spray wagon and share some jacket info.

1up

Mar 7, 2010, 12:45 AM
Post #6 of 21 (1863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Same ish build here, 28 waist 42 chest 34 sleeve. If you don't go for another BC.com Jacket which i would highly recommend you doing, then look at Salewa, I have a soft shell of theres that fits perfectly. http://www.salewa.com/uk/4/233/20387-SALTORO_WS_M_JKT.html?

(This post was edited by 1up on Mar 7, 2010, 10:06 PM)

altelis

Mar 7, 2010, 3:33 AM
Post #7 of 21 (1820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry, missed the softshell part

you can get great wind shells and rain shells but not really any soft shells

and yea, the durability thing can be a problem. granted, the only bike thing i use off the bike is the super thing wind jacket, and i only use this while skinning for a day of backcountry skiing. not really worried about abrasion resistance there....

fxgranite

Mar 7, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #8 of 21 (1755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1up] Jackets for those shaped like a triangle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1up wrote:
Same ish build here, 28 waist 42 shoulder 34 sleeve. If you don't go for another BC.com Jacket which i would highly recommend you doing, then look at Salewa, I have a soft shell of theres that fits perfectly. http://www.salewa.com/uk/4/233/20387-SALTORO_WS_M_JKT.html?

Are these sold in the US anywhere? I can't seem to find a place.

the_climber

Mar 7, 2010, 4:44 PM
Post #9 of 21 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Jackets for those shaped like a triangle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That's not a triangle! 32 waist, 44-45 shoulders... that's getting closer. (only problem is my waist isn't 32 anymore... 33 and droppin' again though. Monkey drinking too much Beer

I've had good luck with jackets from Cloudveil, Jack Wolfskin, Altus, and MEC. Biggest issue I find is once you find that great fit in the shoulders and length... then you have to find one with all that and DOESN'T have a mid section that is 10 sizes too big.

Goodluck.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Mar 7, 2010, 4:44 PM)

Samiam277

Mar 7, 2010, 5:26 PM
Post #10 of 21 (1733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should check out Bergans. They are a Norwegian company, so their stuff can be difficult to come across in the US. I bought one of their soft-shells at a summer sale last year for half off, and I love it. I'm 6' 4'' and 180 pounds. Finding clothing that is long enough yet fitted is a constant battle. The guy who sold me my jacket said Bergans is known for making stuff that fits tall, thin people really well. Check them out.

fxgranite

Mar 7, 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #11 of 21 (1726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Jackets for those shaped like a triangle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
I've had good luck with jackets from Cloudveil, Jack Wolfskin, Altus, and MEC. Biggest issue I find is once you find that great fit in the shoulders and length... then you have to find one with all that and DOESN'T have a mid section that is 10 sizes too big.

Yup. Thats the problem.

Thanks for the ideas. Cloudveil looks like the measurements are much better than a lot of other brands out there although I haven't really seen a jacket that I like. Same with MEC. Maybe they look better in person.

1up

Mar 7, 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #12 of 21 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fxgranite wrote:
1up wrote:
Same ish build here, 28 waist 42 chest 34 sleeve. If you don't go for another BC.com Jacket which i would highly recommend you doing, then look at Salewa, I have a soft shell of theres that fits perfectly. http://www.salewa.com/uk/4/233/20387-SALTORO_WS_M_JKT.html?

Are these sold in the US anywhere? I can't seem to find a place.

I'm not sure about the states. I picked mine up in Japan. The website suggests that there are US retailers.

rock_fencer

Mar 7, 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #13 of 21 (1677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

never used these guys but i have read good things about them. Custom semi-tailored clothing http://beyondclothing.com/

T

fxgranite

Mar 8, 2010, 12:23 AM
Post #14 of 21 (1648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Jackets for those shaped like a triangle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
never used these guys but i have read good things about them. Custom semi-tailored clothing http://beyondclothing.com/

T

Yeah I was looking at them ealier today and they do look awesome. A bit pricey, though maybe not as pricey as I expected custom jackets to be. I'd love to hear from anyone who's bought something through them.

dynosore

Mar 8, 2010, 4:46 AM
Post #15 of 21 (1592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 41 32 and my arcteryx sigma jacket is cut very nicely for me

mrtristan

Mar 9, 2010, 4:43 PM
Post #16 of 21 (1505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arc'teryx stuff fits me very well, but it's mad expensive. Worth it, but mad expensive.

rokshoxbkr19

Mar 9, 2010, 4:51 PM
Post #17 of 21 (1499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrtristan] Jackets for those shaped like a triangle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just get everything tailored either from scratch or after you buy it, tougher for jackets, but it's worth it if you want to look good. Or, just stop caring what you look like when your out sporting around

sspssp

Mar 9, 2010, 6:42 PM
Post #18 of 21 (1476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fxgranite wrote:
rock_fencer wrote:

T

Yeah I was looking at them ealier today and they do look awesome. A bit pricey, though maybe not as pricey as I expected custom jackets to be. I'd love to hear from anyone who's bought something through them.

I picked up a soft shell jacket from them and have been happy with it. I sent in my measurements and the jacket came back customized like I wanted it. Quality/performance has been comparable to other name brand clothing. You won't ever get them on sale, but the price isn't really different than paying retail for a different name brand.

gunkiemike

Mar 15, 2010, 2:16 AM
Post #19 of 21 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fix your current jacket ($20 or so).

And you're shaped like a TRAPEZOID. :-)

dudemanbu

Mar 15, 2010, 2:22 AM
Post #20 of 21 (1345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fxgranite wrote:
So I'm looking for a new softshell after my last one's zipper gave out (the old style backcountry.com shift). Problem is I'm shaped like a triangle. I mean this literally. My waist is way skinnier than my chest and shoulders so finding a jacket (or any shirt really) that is long enough, has long enough sleeves, and does not balloon around my waist is damn near impossible. I've certainly never found anything other than a couple of fitted collared shirts.

28" waist, 44" chest. What what son?

lewismonkey

Mar 16, 2010, 9:32 AM
Post #21 of 21 (1270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've also found that Arcteryx gear seems to be cut with wider shoulders.

Generally steer clear of brands like North Face that are cut for couch potatoes with large bellies.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook