Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
best locations for beta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

girlclimb

Mar 8, 2010, 2:33 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3013 views)
Shortcut

best locations for beta  (North_America: United_States: California: San_Diego_County)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So where would people suggest to get a good guidebook and or local info on the best places to boulder, sport climb around san deigo in March best safest camping as well (i dont think ill bring my trad rack). I realize there is a lot to offer on this site but sometimes its nice to talk to people in person about the stuff especially after I noticed a post about a lot of routes in some of the areas I was thinking about going to being chopped.

Also does anyone know places that rent pads? If you had three days to climb where would you go and why : )

thanks for any and all beta
sincerely
a new englander

i_h8_choss

Mar 8, 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [girlclimb] best locations for beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

girlclimb wrote:
So where would people suggest to get a good guidebook and or local info on the best places to boulder, sport climb around san deigo in March best safest camping as well (i dont think ill bring my trad rack). I realize there is a lot to offer on this site but sometimes its nice to talk to people in person about the stuff especially after I noticed a post about a lot of routes in some of the areas I was thinking about going to being chopped.

Also does anyone know places that rent pads? If you had three days to climb where would you go and why : )

thanks for any and all beta
sincerely
a new englander

Mt Woodson is great. I could spend 3 days there trying not to get spit off those huge boulders. The climbing there is hard. Boulder or Toprope some routes there.

I went to Santee and it's fun bouldering for a day.

The campgrounds in the San Diego area are nice and safe. Most of them gated, so the reservation helpsWink

I use this guidebook. It includes Woodson, Santee, and some routes at Mission Trails.

http://www.amazon.com/...imbing/dp/0934641579

858jason

Mar 10, 2010, 8:20 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mt. Woodson is great, but hard to find stuff. Bring a local.

Check here for topos, better than buying a book for only three days: http://www.climbingtoposofsandiego.com/

Valley of the Moon would be a good sport climbing destination, but it's right near the border, camping might be less than safe. Bring a partner though, it's somewhat remote.

El Cajon Mt. has good climbing, I think most of the climbs on the left side have been left alone. The site above sometimes has updated info on chopped routes.

girlclimb

Mar 10, 2010, 3:14 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2943 views)
Shortcut

Re: [858jason] best locations for beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the beta! anyone know possibility of renting a pad in san Diego?

858jason

Mar 10, 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

girlclimb wrote:
Thanks for the beta! anyone know possibility of renting a pad in san Diego?

You might try REI. I think they'll rent non-critical climbing gear, but don't know for sure.

When will you be out here?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook