Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Mar 24, 2010, 3:18 AM
Post #26 of 45 (5715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bhp] Dynamic Rope - Impact Factors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bhp wrote:
He's saying that climbing ropes don't behave like ideal springs.

Yeah, suuure he is.

In reply to:
In an elementary theoretical basis, the force exerted by/on a rope should be proportional to the percentage of stretch. In climbing ropes, and most other systems, really, this isn't exactly true. The stress/strain function is not linear.

However, that's not the claim he made. He said, "The coefficient of elasticity changes as the weight on the rope changes."

Jay

USnavy

Mar 24, 2010, 6:34 AM
Post #27 of 45 (5700 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Dynamic Rope - Impact Factors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
USnavy wrote:
The coefficient of elasticity changes as the weight on the rope changes.

Huh?
Modulus of elasticity, sorry. I have no idea where I got coefficient, its been a long day. Anyway I was saying that the elongation properties of a rope are not linear. Say placing 50 kg on a rope yields a stretch of 5%. Doubling that number to 100 kg will not yield a stretch of 10%. When you add a second identical rope the force created by the climber is shared between each rope. However the impact force is not doubled and the dynamic elongation is not halved because the elongation properties of the rope are not linear and adding a second rope to the system changes the properties.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Mar 24, 2010, 6:36 AM)

ptlong

Mar 24, 2010, 5:48 PM
Post #28 of 45 (5660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Dynamic Rope - Impact Factors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Modulus of elasticity, sorry. I have no idea where I got coefficient, its been a long day. Anyway I was saying that the elongation properties of a rope are not linear. Say placing 50 kg on a rope yields a stretch of 5%. Doubling that number to 100 kg will not yield a stretch of 10%. When you add a second identical rope the force created by the climber is shared between each rope. However the impact force is not doubled and the dynamic elongation is not halved because the elongation properties of the rope are not linear and adding a second rope to the system changes the properties.

Huh? Even if the stress/strain curves were perfectly linear the impact force would not be doubled and the elongation would not be halved. Nice try.

USnavy

Mar 24, 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #29 of 45 (5657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptlong] Dynamic Rope - Impact Factors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ptlong wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Huh? Even if the stress/strain curves were perfectly linear the impact force would not be doubled and the elongation would not be halved. Nice try.
Please carefully reread what you quoted then slap yourself in the face. I said it would NOT be doubled or halved. Nice try.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Mar 24, 2010, 5:56 PM)

jt512

Mar 24, 2010, 5:58 PM
Post #30 of 45 (5651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
ptlong wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Please carefully reread what you quoted then slap yourself in the face. I said it would NOT be doubled or halved. Nice try.

Apparently you have trouble understanding conditional statements.

Jay

adatesman

Mar 24, 2010, 6:06 PM
Post #31 of 45 (5644 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

ptlong

Mar 24, 2010, 6:10 PM
Post #32 of 45 (5640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
ptlong wrote:
USnavy wrote:

The REASON they are NOT doubled/halved is what I'm saying you have wrong.

Take the simplest case, two identical ideal springs in parallel. Now do a UIAA drop test. The increase in maximum impact force is what? (Hint: it isn't double).

trenchdigger

Mar 24, 2010, 6:26 PM
Post #33 of 45 (5631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
northcave wrote:
USnavy wrote:
Lets look at the Beal Joker. When that rope is used as a single it has an impact force of 8.2 kN. When used as a twin it has an impact force of 9.5 kN, an increase of only 14%.

True but the stress on the rope is halved even if the impact force on the person is more.

Apparently, the tension in the rope isn't quite halved, since 9.5 / 2 > 8.2 / 2 .

Jay

This is a big oversimplified since (roughly) T = w + sqrt(w^2 + 2*k*w*FF).
where:
T=impact force
w=weight of climber
k=spring constant
FF=fall factor

The point, however, is valid. The spring constant of a rope does increase with rope stretch. I would venture to guess that the increase in the spring constant with stretch is also non-linear.

Partner cracklover

Mar 24, 2010, 7:02 PM
Post #34 of 45 (5620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ptlong wrote:
USnavy wrote:
ptlong wrote:
USnavy wrote:

The REASON they are NOT doubled/halved is what I'm saying you have wrong.

Take the simplest case, two identical ideal springs in parallel. Now do a UIAA drop test. The increase in maximum impact force is what? (Hint: it isn't double).

I can't tell if USNavy doesn't understand what he's talking about or not. He's just not speaking (typing) very clearly.

Anyway, to answer your question - you'd have to solve for the new modulus given by the two springs working in parallel, and then plug that into the standard equations, with each spring getting half the load.

I'll leave solving the problem itself as an exercise for the reader.

GO
(edited typo)

(This post was edited by cracklover on Mar 24, 2010, 7:03 PM)

ptlong

Mar 24, 2010, 7:37 PM
Post #35 of 45 (5612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Dynamic Rope - Impact Factors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I can't tell if USNavy doesn't understand what he's talking about or not. He's just not speaking (typing) very clearly.

That's always a possibility. But I'd put my money on the former.

In reply to:
Anyway, to answer your question - you'd have to solve for the new modulus given by the two springs working in parallel, and then plug that into the standard equations, with each spring getting half the load.

Two identical springs in parallel have twice the stiffness (modulus). Using the Wexler equation posted by trenchdigger for a UIAA drop (about 1.8 factor) you get an increase in max impact of about 40%.

Now the reason that real ropes (e.g. those Beal numbers posted above) don't jive with the 40% number is partly due to what USnavy is talking about. But only partly.

(edit:grammar)

(This post was edited by ptlong on Mar 24, 2010, 7:40 PM)

Rudmin

Mar 24, 2010, 7:40 PM
Post #36 of 45 (5608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
That's not true. Yes adding a second rope will increase the impact factor but it wont be double. The coefficient of elasticity changes as the weight on the rope changes. Generally adding a second rope will increase the impact factor by about 20%. But that number can very quite a bit.

Lets look at the Beal Joker. When that rope is used as a single it has an impact force of 8.2 kN. When used as a twin it has an impact force of 9.5 kN, an increase of only 14%.

Actually that's %16%

(This post was edited by Rudmin on Mar 24, 2010, 7:46 PM)

jt512

Mar 24, 2010, 7:45 PM
Post #37 of 45 (5599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] Dynamic Rope - Impact Factors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rudmin wrote:
USnavy wrote:
That's not true. Yes adding a second rope will increase the impact factor but it wont be double. The coefficient of elasticity changes as the weight on the rope changes. Generally adding a second rope will increase the impact factor by about 20%. But that number can very quite a bit.

Actually that's %16

Maybe edit it again, and put the percent sign after the number.

Jay

Partner cracklover

Mar 24, 2010, 8:06 PM
Post #38 of 45 (5581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ptlong wrote:
cracklover wrote:

That's always a possibility. But I'd put my money on the former.

In reply to:

Two identical springs in parallel have twice the stiffness (modulus). Using the Wexler equation posted by trenchdigger for a UIAA drop (about 1.8 factor) you get an increase in max impact of about 40%.

Actually, an easier way to solve it than what I posted above is simply to think of the two ropes independently, with each holding half the force. Then the modulus doesn't need to be changed - you just add up the force on the two ropes, each with half the weight of the climber.

Either way, the answer (roughly 40% increase) is the same.

In reply to:
Now the reason that real ropes (e.g. those Beal numbers posted above) don't jive with the 40% number is partly due to what USnavy is talking about. But only partly.

What exactly are you referring to?

GO

jt512

Mar 24, 2010, 8:14 PM
Post #39 of 45 (5570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
ptlong wrote:

GO

He's referring to the UIAA ratings, posted by USNavy, of the Joker used singly and as twins. Take a look at my post right above yours.

Jay

Partner cracklover

Mar 24, 2010, 8:28 PM
Post #40 of 45 (5563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
ptlong wrote:

GO

He's referring to the UIAA ratings, posted by USNavy, of the Joker used singly and as twins. Take a look at my post right above yours.

Jay

That much I got. But in relation to that discrepancy (between the predicted 40% and the measured 16%), he states that it is explained "partly due to what USnavy is talking about. But only partly." What is it that USNavy said that explains that discrepancy? And what is the "rest" of the explanation?

GO

dugl33

Mar 24, 2010, 8:46 PM
Post #41 of 45 (5540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [northcave] Dynamic Rope - Impact Factors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Come on guys. You are all making this way more complicated than it is.

Its a rope swing for f sake! With two ropes no less. Even if the ropes were static the forces on our test dummy wouldn't ever amount to much. He will harmlessly accelerate through the bottom of the arc.

Ya'll ever played on a swing set? How's this any different? Throwing around equations, fall factor, impact forces, modulus of elasticity, non-existent "impact factors" ... all to solve the wrong fricken problem.

fxgranite

Mar 24, 2010, 9:00 PM
Post #42 of 45 (5530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Dynamic Rope - Impact Factors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
[image]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/popcorn.gif[/image]

It's a rope swing! Lets get torque involved!

redlude97

Mar 24, 2010, 9:03 PM
Post #43 of 45 (5527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
ptlong wrote:

GO

Jay

That much I got. But in relation to that discrepancy (between the predicted 40% and the measured 16%), he states that it is explained "partly due to what USnavy is talking about. But only partly." What is it that USNavy said that explains that discrepancy? And what is the "rest" of the explanation?

GO
If I understand your question correctly, you want to know why the actual number is 16% and the theoretical 40%. USNavy says its because of nonconstant elastic modulus. The equation stated above holds the spring constant constant. It is a function of distance stretched though so k must change as a function of stretch. You would likely need to take the derivative of the equation, then integrate it over the distance fallen after determining the change in spring constant as a function of stretch. The reason rope isn't an ideal spring is that rope stretch is achieved through multiple variables. Shift of the rope core weave as it responds to the force will have one nonconstant "springrate" while stretch of the actual rope material on the strand level will have another springrate. These kick in at different points during the stretch as well, overall leading to a nonideal case that is difficult to theoretically predict

ptlong

Mar 24, 2010, 9:57 PM
Post #44 of 45 (5504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cracklover, I'm not exactly sure why you prefer to halve the mass instead of double the modulus. Either way it's a doubling of the term under the radical in the Wexler equation and so (for large fall factors at least) an increase in max impact force of roughly the square root of two. But perhaps you're doing something else?

As to why real ropes don't behave like ideal springs there are a couple of important reasons I am aware of. The first is what USnavy is talking about, namely that the static pull stress/strain relationship is not perfectly linear. The second is that ropes convert a significant fraction of the fall energy into heat through internal friction of some sort. If you first assume that the stress/strain is linear you can get a rough idea of how much of the energy goes to heat this way by using Hooke's Law and the max impact force and dynamic elongation specs for a rope. But of course things aren't linear so this approach likely underestimates the heat lost due to damping.

In any case, with two ropes you are not only doubling the stiffness of the system but also increasing the amount of damping. This extra damping, in addition to the increase in stiffness with elongation, means that you get less impact from two ropes than Wexler predicts.

dugl33

Mar 24, 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #45 of 45 (5496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] Dynamic Rope - Impact Factors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maximum Tension (in Newtons) = M * g * (1 + 2*h/L)

M = mass of swing-bob-square pants
g = acceleration of gravity
h = height above bottom of swing from start
L = length of rope strand

So, for a 100kg dude, 15 meter height diff, 100*9.8*(1+(2*15/15)) = 100*9.8*3 = 2940 N = 2.940 KN

or more simply put, you are pulling 3 Gs, so forces of three times your weight spread over two ropes and two anchor points. How will it evar hold you? Wink

Of course, all this assumes you actually swing. Taking a factor 1 straight drop will feel much different, and result in much more force. And with two ropes instead of 1 it may well injure you, and will put much more force on the attachment points.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook