Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Off time in Georgia/Tennessee
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dynomaster

Dec 12, 2002, 3:29 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3118 views)
Shortcut

Off time in Georgia/Tennessee  (North_America: United_States: Georgia: Georgia_North: Rocktown)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone! I'm heading to the rocktown area for two weeks . I'm bringing my bike and slacklining equipment to use on my off time. I was wondering what else there is to do up there in my off time. Thanks for your help!

Dyno On
Andy

climbincajun

Dec 12, 2002, 3:33 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3118 views)
Shortcut

Off time in Georgia/Tennessee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whaddya mean 'off time' ?

...oooohhh, I know! visit the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee. They won't sell you any whiskey, but you get free lemonade!

[ This Message was edited by: climbincajun on 2002-12-12 07:34 ]

cabouldering

Dec 12, 2002, 9:41 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3118 views)
Shortcut

Off time in Georgia/Tennessee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is some good caving on Pigeon Mountain.

CABouldering

kingjawsh

Mar 14, 2005, 11:04 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3118 views)
Shortcut

rocktown [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Me and some friends of mine are headen down there in like 3 weeks... i pretty stoked.. gonna be my first real climbin trip.. and as of the JD distilery i've heard it the best glass of lemonade you'll ever have...

pinnaclechick

Mar 14, 2005, 2:01 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3118 views)
Shortcut

Re: rocktown [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If by "bike" you mean mountain bike, there's a trail up there (Pigeon Mountain/Lost Wall/Rocktown) to a place called High Point, I think usually used by horseback riders and hikers. The trail starts at the end of a field on your left after you pass the "horse camp" area. I can't remember if it's marked with a sign or post, sometimes the entrance is grown over a little bit, and some brambles along the trail for the first 100 feet or so. The going can be rough, it's pretty steady uphill, but not a very steep grade. Places where the dirt on the trail is washed out exposing big rocks and roots, and some places where your tires want to bog down in deep sand. You may be tempted to get off the bike at times and walk it over something especially menacing, you may even start wondering about the meaning of life when you're about 3/4 of the way up, your chest heaving and sweat pouring off you. Leave your bike for a while where the big tree trunk is blocking the trail and walk the rest of the way (maybe a couple hundred more feet) up to the 'highest point', stand on the rocks and let the breeze cool and enliven you while the buzzards circle patiently overhead, drink some water maybe.. then go back, point your tires down the trail and go. If the possibility of tendonitis or wheel chairs only pique your interest, it's an awesome ride.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook