Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Partner cracklover

Mar 31, 2010, 4:44 PM
Post #76 of 113 (9942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

angry wrote:
You had the opportunity to absolutely crush BD in the bigger sizes and you squandered it. Everyone who has ever endeavored to climb a wide crack has been complaining about the 4,5,6 vs old 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5 sizing change since it happened.

While this may suck for experienced climbers who actually know what sizes they need, for new climbers (the ones actually buying most of the gear) the new sizing offers a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

The way some new climbers may look at it is: a rack of large from company A is four cams covering range X inches, versus a rack from company B is five cams covering a smaller range. I suspect that some new climbers might choose company A.

Though in truth, I think that's more important in the midrange. Once you get to the big stuff, people are less often looking for a "rack" of cams, and more often looking for that one "right" size individual cam.

Dunno, I'm just trying to see how BD might justify the change from a marketing perspective.

GO

jeepnphreak

Mar 31, 2010, 5:48 PM
Post #77 of 113 (9907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Chrisrow] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chrisrow wrote:
Finally, price. Yes Dragons will be more expensive than Camelots in the US.

Cheers
Chris Rowlands
Brand Manager DMM

This will be the major factor in when I choose a piece of gear to buy. When is comes down to two pieces of pro both from a reputable company that has both proen to make quality gear. The price will be what convnces me on the purchace. If one DMM dragon and BD C4 are what I need Ill WILL chose the more reasonable priced cam. A full rack is expensive and every little bit I can save isreally important to me. Sorry but if your product IS more expensive that is less sales to me you will make.

qwert

Mar 31, 2010, 7:05 PM
Post #78 of 113 (9880 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why all the negativism?

Yes it is/ will be expensive, but so is the holy C4 (if you compare it to rockempire for example).
Yes, the range is small(er), but the (theoretically?) higher holding power is a nice thing, expecially if you are not climbing on hard, perfect and rough granite cracks.

If i need/want some new cams, the dmm dragons will be on the list of cams i consider, right next to their 4CUs, the Friends, C4s, maxcams and rockempires.
Maybe is see something in them that will me make get them, maybe i just realize that they are essentially nothing that special (just like all "normal" cams) and get a rockempire, since i dont really need cams anyways (limestone ... Crazy).

qwert

tomtom

Mar 31, 2010, 7:48 PM
Post #79 of 113 (9864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I actually don't believe I am being overly harsh.
Calling people idiots is being harsh.

tomtom

Mar 31, 2010, 7:49 PM
Post #80 of 113 (9872 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Everyone who has ever endeavored to climb a wide crack has been complaining about the 4,5,6 vs old 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5 sizing change since it happened.

Yes, people have been falling out of wide cracks after BD changed their sizing.

Don't be a angry moron.

(This post was edited by tomtom on Mar 31, 2010, 7:50 PM)

jeepnphreak

Mar 31, 2010, 7:55 PM
Post #81 of 113 (9866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a question...
What cam Iam I looking at here is the picture
These cams have the thumb loop.

This img is off the DMM site, link called enter the dragon.

I would buy these cams here.
I got rid of my 2nd gen BD c4 because I do not like the stud at the end of the wire, I like the thumb loop.
Why have you at DMM not manufacturec these?

caughtinside

Mar 31, 2010, 7:58 PM
Post #82 of 113 (9865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
I have a question...
What cam Iam I looking at here is the picture
These cams have the thumb loop.

This img is off the DMM site, link called enter the dragon.

I would buy these cams here.
I got rid of my 2nd gen BD c4 because I do not like the stud at the end of the wire, I like the thumb loop.
Why have you at DMM not manufacturec these?

if you read the post from the DMM guy above, you'd know it was because they couldn't get the thumb loop stems to test strong enough. The thumb loops on C4s are patented so had to be done a different way.

Partner xtrmecat

Mar 31, 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #83 of 113 (9814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And as far as the salemanship on Hot Forged cams. I see no particular advantage. Cold forging, when done right to the right alloy would yield better traits to the lobes, without heat treating to make it just so. The information needed to asses if they indeed do any good by hot forging is most likely proprietary, and not attainable by just asking.

This is not the only industry I see this marketing strategy, looking for unsuspecting marks, to attain profits, rather than really reengineering and improving something. You know, make a better mousetrap, not another angle to stay in the game and bolster profits. I believe I see the latter.

It is funny how just the highlights are touted as better, but the details are clear as mud. Alloy, heat treating, surface hardness, spring tension, trigger action in the hand, etc. Instead, lighter, best camming angle, two axle, extendable.... blah, blah blah. If you invented the wheel, yay. If you made a wheel, well, so does everyone else. Hell, they couldn't even dream up a thumb loop, instead opted to eliminate it to save weight, you know, so they can say it is lighter than........ Function doesn't appear to be the engineering motive from where I sit.

Bob

caughtinside

Mar 31, 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #84 of 113 (9811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xtrmecat wrote:
And as far as the salemanship on Hot Forged cams. I see no particular advantage. Cold forging, when done right to the right alloy would yield better traits to the lobes, without heat treating to make it just so. The information needed to asses if they indeed do any good by hot forging is most likely proprietary, and not attainable by just asking.

This is not the only industry I see this marketing strategy, looking for unsuspecting marks, to attain profits, rather than really reengineering and improving something. You know, make a better mousetrap, not another angle to stay in the game and bolster profits. I believe I see the latter.

It is funny how just the highlights are touted as better, but the details are clear as mud. Alloy, heat treating, surface hardness, spring tension, trigger action in the hand, etc. Instead, lighter, best camming angle, two axle, extendable.... blah, blah blah. If you invented the wheel, yay. If you made a wheel, well, so does everyone else. Hell, they couldn't even dream up a thumb loop, instead opted to eliminate it to save weight, you know, so they can say it is lighter than........ Function doesn't appear to be the engineering motive from where I sit.

Bob

fair enough. I think we've gotten an earful of the marketing side from the DMM chap, but I'll reserve judgment until I get to try some. Hopefully someone else's rather than buying them first!

Don't really care about how they forge them, so long as they are light and strong. I consider weight savings to be an improvement.

I like the thumb loop too, but I really don't aid that much so it's loss isn't a deal breaker for me.

Mostly concerned about the skinny slings and the cost and availability of reslinging them, but I wouldn't say that's a deal breaker.

I like Camalots, but if I can get a non made in china alternative, I'm tempted to go that way.

patto

Mar 31, 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #85 of 113 (9799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I understand that. Don't be an idiot.

C4's aren't exploding out of cracks, the bodies aren't piling up. So don't act like they've solved a problem.
Well on a couple of occasions C4s have slid out of cracks which resulted in falls. There is a good chance that a smaller camming angle would have helped here. It all depends on the rocks you climb. It you are climbing rough granite then all is well for large cams. If you are climbing slick quartzite then I would love the security of the dragons.

Its funny that people fault DMM for a low cam angle but I never see Metolius faulted for its EVEN lower cam angle.
johnwesely wrote:
Oh, that's why my C4s always fail when I fall on them or use them as a component in an anchor. I just thought that I sucked at placing them.

Hey dude no need to get defensive about your precious C4s. Im not insulting your first born child. For what its worth I love my C4s too.

This is one of the most hostile reaction's to a new cam to the market I am ever seen. I think it mostly comes down to Dragon's similarities with BD C4s and peoples love of their C4s. It seems like DMM is going to have an uphill battle.

Personally I am happy with my set of C4s and I'm not about to replace them. I'd much rather a lower camming angle on my C4s as I climb mostly on quartzite/sandstone that can be quite polished. But my second set is WC/DMM/Metolius.

I would like to try the Dragons but I think the stem termination would annoy me. I like thumb loops.

Its all personal preference really. I think the double axle design will reign as king for a while, it gives great range without all the drawbacks of other fancy designs. That said double axle is next to useless in sizes over #4 C4.

(This post was edited by patto on Apr 1, 2010, 1:14 AM)

adatesman

Apr 1, 2010, 3:57 AM
Post #86 of 113 (9750 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

Partner cracklover

Apr 1, 2010, 4:23 AM
Post #87 of 113 (9746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Its funny that people fault DMM for a low cam angle but I never see Metolius faulted for its EVEN lower cam angle.

Really? You must have never read a thread about small cams.

GO

patto

Apr 1, 2010, 4:59 AM
Post #88 of 113 (9729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
patto wrote:
Well on a couple of occasions C4s have slid out of cracks which resulted in falls.

Not poking; just would like to see references/links on this as I don't recall hearing about this in the past couple years. Angelic

Yeah Aric, you shouldn't poke! I've been feisty with my forum arguments of late. Wink

Cams slipping out of cracks is not a completely uncommon occurance. However naturally, proving that it was due to slick rock and large camming angles as opposed to bad placement is next to impossible.

And like I said it depends very much on the rock you are climbing. Hard smooth sandstone/quartzite, is much less grippy for large cams than course granite. I haven't climbed in the UK but I figure there is a reason why they prefer the smaller angles too.

A quick digging turns up a few threads.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...0rock%20cam;#1641870
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...0rock%20cam;#1611560
http://www.chockstone.org/...&MessageID=11854
http://www.chockstone.org/...&MessageID=11763

No conclusive evidence though. In fact in one thread it was me suggesting that it could be the cam angle! Hardly an unbiased sample. I have also read one reported incident of a cam catching a fall and then skating out of the slick crack afterwards which the climber watched on. This suggests that the cam must have been at the very tipping point of the holding friction.

Either way I'm sticking with my C4s they are great cams. But I am mindful of the fact that they may not be the best choice if the crack looks slicker than usual.

(This post was edited by patto on Apr 1, 2010, 5:00 AM)

Chrisrow

Apr 1, 2010, 8:27 AM
Post #89 of 113 (9687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[Final word: DMM is known to take an existing design concept and make it lighter, more functional, and sexier, and charge a premium for it. They didn't really achieve that here. These cams aren't clearly better than BD's, but they are priced as if they were. In general, it seems as though the design team was focusing far too much on strength, and not nearly enough on function. This seems like a missed opportunity.
And also in reply to various posts too,

1) I don't believe anybody from DMM has claimed our product is superior to Camelots, we have merely outlined the features of our product

2)Actually we are also well known for bringing completely new and innovative products to the market
Mamba. Worlds first fully captive sports draw
Prowire, Lightest full strength full size biner in the world.
Predator, Worlds first fully curved technical Ice tool
Revolver, Worlds first biner to incorporate a pulley wheel to help reduce friction
Rebel
First Hot Forged one piece Ice tool
Phantom Screwgate. Lightest strongest Keylock biner in the world
Wirelock. World's first wiregate Clean Nose biner.

3) Please don't get hung up on the comparison of Camelots to Dragons, there are plenty of other Reputable brands out there too. Nobody is expecting you to ditch your existing cams and rush out and buy Dragons. They are there to offer an alternative to what is already out there.The benefits which I have outlined are based on fact and only by using the units can you truly decide for yourself.

4)The Thumb grip isn't flat, it is dished and ribbed to make easier to locate and more secure to grip.

We could continue this discussion endlessly, and sadly still not reach agreement. All I would ask is that people are open and fair in their discussion and don't dismiss things out of hand without having used or seen the product, that I believe is a fair way forward. Finally apologies for delays in responding to individual posters, we do try to answer queries and questions etc, but fitting it all in is difficult.
Cheers
Chris

Adk

Apr 1, 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #90 of 113 (9651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for your time Chris.

hyhuu

Apr 1, 2010, 1:33 PM
Post #91 of 113 (9618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
adatesman wrote:
patto wrote:
Well on a couple of occasions C4s have slid out of cracks which resulted in falls.

Not poking; just would like to see references/links on this as I don't recall hearing about this in the past couple years. Angelic

Yeah Aric, you shouldn't poke! I've been feisty with my forum arguments of late. Wink

Cams slipping out of cracks is not a completely uncommon occurance. However naturally, proving that it was due to slick rock and large camming angles as opposed to bad placement is next to impossible.

And like I said it depends very much on the rock you are climbing. Hard smooth sandstone/quartzite, is much less grippy for large cams than course granite. I haven't climbed in the UK but I figure there is a reason why they prefer the smaller angles too.

A quick digging turns up a few threads.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...0rock%20cam;#1641870
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...0rock%20cam;#1611560
http://www.chockstone.org/...&MessageID=11854
http://www.chockstone.org/...&MessageID=11763

No conclusive evidence though. In fact in one thread it was me suggesting that it could be the cam angle! Hardly an unbiased sample. I have also read one reported incident of a cam catching a fall and then skating out of the slick crack afterwards which the climber watched on. This suggests that the cam must have been at the very tipping point of the holding friction.

Either way I'm sticking with my C4s they are great cams. But I am mindful of the fact that they may not be the best choice if the crack looks slicker than usual.

It sounds like operator's errors to me. Just curious, where are these "hard smooth sandstone/quartzite that is less grippy than granite" you are talking about? Isn't UK famous for its gritstone?

adatesman

Apr 1, 2010, 3:50 PM
Post #92 of 113 (9554 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

shoo

Apr 1, 2010, 3:59 PM
Post #93 of 113 (9550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just want to say that while I think that the dragon cams missed an opportunity here, in general, I love DMM's gear. I use at least one DMM product nearly every day I climb.

It's also worth noting that a lot of the backlash here likely stems from earlier product photos showing a nice looking thumb loop. I think a lot of people are disappointed that the final product didn't have that feature. While I understand the reasoning behind it, it's still disappointing. When one hand giveth, and the other hand taketh away, is pisseth people off.

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 1, 2010, 4:04 PM
Post #94 of 113 (9549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

patto wrote:
I think the double axle design will reign as king for a while, it gives great range without all the drawbacks of other fancy designs. That said double axle is next to useless in sizes over #4 C4.

Nah, double axles has always been a marketing ploy that just adds weight. In terms of usable size range in the most commonly placed cams, the supposed increase is so small it rarely matters. Notice that the charts always tout the full expansion of cams even though you can't use 40% of that range. Most of the C4 functional range comes from the lax cam angles, not the double axle.

MS1

Apr 1, 2010, 4:09 PM
Post #95 of 113 (9545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
Just want to say that while I think that the dragon cams missed an opportunity here, in general, I love DMM's gear. I use at least one DMM product nearly every day I climb.

+1. Even though I'm not much interested in pricier c4s with a skinny sling, I love DMM's passive pro (esp. the offset nuts) so much that it makes my wife jealous.

jeremy11

Apr 3, 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #96 of 113 (9457 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chill out folks, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Also, don't forget DMM made the HB alloy and brass nuts available again! Thanks.

The business and gear world is full of this sort of thing. Companies make virtually identical products, change the aesthetics and ergonomics a bit, put a couple fancy technical terms in the marketing material, and start selling it.
It is good to get another dual axle cam out there.
The thumb loop and thin sling is the biggest problem.
The price is high, but DMM is aiming for the higher price market.

Angry etc, innovation in offwidth cams isn't really an economically feasible thing, and going back to the old BD sizes isn't "innovation" although it is bringing a good thing to the market.
If you want big cam innovation, do it yourself.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

Yes, that 8.5" cam is staying shut by itself. Cool

patto

Apr 5, 2010, 4:47 AM
Post #97 of 113 (9359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Hence asking so politely! Laugh
Don't worry :-) I would snap at you. Besides I've never found a reason to. :-)

adatesman wrote:
Thanks Patto. For some reason I thought you were talking about the slippage being due to the dual axle design as opposed to holding power of the larger cam angle. No idea how that idea got into my head...
No I was just referring to camming angles. I like the dual axle design.

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Nah, double axles has always been a marketing ploy that just adds weight. In terms of usable size range in the most commonly placed cams, the supposed increase is so small it rarely matters. Notice that the charts always tout the full expansion of cams even though you can't use 40% of that range. Most of the C4 functional range comes from the lax cam angles, not the double axle.

Camalots have 33% more expansion range than WC I wouldn't call that 'so small it rarely matters. Even if you only use 40% of stated range 40% of a much rger range is still much large than 40% of a small range. DMM Dragons have 28% more expansion range than other DMM cams while keeping camming angle the same.

So around half to two thirds of the extra range in C4s come from the double stem. For me the double axle is definately NOT a marketing ploy.

Hey I was biased against Black Diamond but after much resarch and playing with gear I bought C4s to replace my mixed BD, DMM, WC Metolius rack.

Hey did you just turn me from defending DMM in this thread to defending BD? Lol! Wink

billcoe_

Apr 5, 2010, 5:32 PM
Post #98 of 113 (9260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I don't know how this made it 4 pages without me jumping on the lets Slag DMM train. I love DMM stuff. However, I would have hoped for a lighter product. That they chose to redesign/rework the dual axle design certainly validates the BD Camalot, yet stepped backwards on the thumb loop. I can't wait to see them anyway.

Yet at the end of the day, Metolius has the lightest cams and they stick like glue. Will folks chose to pay more to get heavier weight? Sure, they already do with the BD's to get the range increase. Folks will get the Dragons cause they're so damn sexy if nothing else.

Thanks for the DMM words in the discussion and the competition in the marketplace Chris! Like you say, the proof is in the pudding, and the pudding will be along soon enough.

patto

Apr 11, 2010, 7:59 AM
Post #99 of 113 (9089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just thought that this would be interesting to add to the discussion. Mostly telling us what we already know but some good information nonetheless:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...ing-camalots-and-c3s

In reply to:
Camalot and C3 sling design
The previous generation of BD Camalots had a cast stainless steel tailpiece. There was a nice big surface area with a smooth radius. The webbing went through this and was sewn in a single loop. When we redesigned the Camalots in 2004 we wanted to make them lighter and also allow more surgically precise when placing. Hence was born the current thumb loop. One of the challenges came when adding the sling to the mix. The deformation of the thumb loop under load is significant. I dug up the following photos from when we were developing the new Camalots.
[Camalot thumb loop under load.]

Just sewing a loop of 11/16” SuperTape (as was used before) didn’t get us to where we wanted to be strength-wise. Why? Because when the Camalot was loaded during testing, the cable pinches down, and ultimately cut the webbing at loads less than we were happy with (gunnin’ for 14 kN but only getting about 10 kN). Same with similar-width Spectra.
[During ultimate testing, the cable pinches and cuts a single layer of webbing (Spectra in this case).]

We also noticed that during drop testing, the cabled thumb loop would get tweaked under standard Indian Creek whipper-type loads. And no one wants to throw down significant dough on a brand new cam only to have the thumb loop formed into a “V” after just a few lobbers.

So we determined that having the double layer of webbing was substantial enough to get us the strength we were after, didn’t cut the webbing and produced less tweakability (engineering term) of the thumb loop.
[A double layer Camalot sling doesn’t cut under ultimate strength testing.]

And for those wondering, yes, we also experimented with the extendable sling design and found that when the sling is extended the cams not only failed at lower loads, but the thumb loop was damaged more easily.
[Tweaked vs. non-tweaked thumb loop after similar falls (loads).]

Basically, in all cases the perceived benefits were outweighed by our strength and durability requirements, therefore we went with the sling configuration you see on the current Black Diamond Camalot line.

Bottom line is that DMM went down a different route to solve this problem. (Possibly due to patent reasons? I don't know.) There are advatages to each but I think most of us, myself included, like the thumb loop.

atlnq9

Apr 13, 2010, 4:13 AM
Post #100 of 113 (9993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] DMM Dragon Cam final design [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

xtrmecat wrote:

Can you please provide me the data that you used to arrive at your statement? Please provide me with information showing the same strength to weight ratio for a metal which gets its strengthening from cold work with no strengthening heat treatment. Please keep your answers within reason, ie. no beryllium.

Just fyi all metals have undergone a heat treatment at some point it just depends on where it was in the processing sequence and what the purpose of it was (softening, diffusion, reduce segregation, strengthening, erase prior cold work, corrosion resistance, etc.).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook