Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

pfwein

Apr 5, 2010, 4:56 PM
Post #51 of 220 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] ClimbX [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
adatesman wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
What patents?

Well, a quick search of the USPTO site turned up patents for the guy from MR:
D516783 (shoe heel)
6470599 (concave shoe sole)
6050003 (boot with outside preformed stress relief)
7107656 (safety buckle)

Looks like he has some provisional ones as well...
20070209114 (sleeping bag with air pockets)
20060037179 (another safety buckle)
20050229364 (the safety buckle from 7107656)
20050138848 (climbing shoe with tension support sole)
20040226193 (climbing shoe with hooking rim)
20030196354 (climbing shoe with hooking teeth on the heel)
20030196350 (climbing shoe with lateral sling shot band)
20030172555 (internal split toe with a creased sole for climbing shoes)
20030115776 (climbing shoe with multiple hardness rubber sole)
20030037463 (climbing shoe with hooking rim)
20020152642 (climbing shoe with concave sole)

So yeah, if ClimbX is using stuff from any of them I'd expect things to become rather interesting.

I don't understand the need for all the discussion about trade secrets, secret sauce, and the Colonel's recipe - all the patents were posted a few posts into this thread. So Mad Rock should have recourse, yes?

You can't validly made that assumption without more information. Let me put it another way. The following is NOT necessarily true:
Company A owns some patents;
Company B copied some of Company A's products;
therefore Company B is infringing Company A's patents.

Here's one way to look at it: companies obtain patents for products that have not yet been released and may never be released. We don't know what products MadRock's patents cover without looking at the patents.

If anyone wants to see the patents, just go to the USPTO's website or, even easier, use Google's patent search feature: http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en

On a related point, while patents are presumed to be valid, that presumption is rebuttable, so perhaps ClimbX will take the position that MadRock's patents are invalid (to the extent it needs to). It's impossible to say in the abstract whether that's a good defense to the specific patents that may be at issue.

Also--patents and trade secrets are not necessarily one versus the other. It may be that certain aspects of a shoe are protected by a patent and other aspects (say, the formulation of the rubber) are protected as trade secrets. ClimbX could be liable for patent infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, both, or neither.

edge

Apr 5, 2010, 5:19 PM
Post #52 of 220 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] ClimbX [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
So, climb x is copying mad rock's copies and selling them for 10 bucks less. What an outrage.

They're still not worth it.Cool
+1

Adk

Apr 5, 2010, 5:44 PM
Post #53 of 220 (3974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] ClimbX [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:
So, climb x is copying mad rock's copies and selling them for 10 bucks less. What an outrage.

+1

A copy of a copy is not an inferior product.
"I used better ink than the copy so mine physical print will last longer if exposed to the elements"

The design may be stolen but the materials could be of better quality making them a better shoe even though they were cheaper to manufacture or maybe it's that Climb X isn't marking them up so much as Mad Rock.Unsure

curt

Apr 5, 2010, 5:50 PM
Post #54 of 220 (3969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Patents aside, I find this information on the ClimbX website to be quite troubling:

ClimbX wrote:
...Now Under New Old Management. Welcome friends and fans the first Climb X website—as you will quickly notice, the company name may be new, but the products inside these pages are longtime favorites. While we’d much rather discuss our latest designs and leave the boring office talk behind, the short story is the original owners and management have decided to take a more prominent role in the direction, product mix and strategy of this business. With this change, a new name has been chosen to set us apart and differentiate this company from the previous one: we are now Climb X. Same sales team. Same distributors. Same production facility. Same product development staff. The same award-winning products.

In this catalog, you will find many of the same products as before
(renamed, and with the usual running upgrades and color changes) as well as some fresh all-new offerings...

ClimbX is actually telling us that they are currently producing the same products "as before" - meaning when these people worked for MadRock.

Curt

Partner cracklover

Apr 5, 2010, 6:01 PM
Post #55 of 220 (3957 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] ClimbX [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
Patents aside, I find this information on the ClimbX website to be quite troubling:

ClimbX wrote:
...Now Under New Old Management. Welcome friends and fans the first Climb X website—as you will quickly notice, the company name may be new, but the products inside these pages are longtime favorites. While we’d much rather discuss our latest designs and leave the boring office talk behind, the short story is the original owners and management have decided to take a more prominent role in the direction, product mix and strategy of this business. With this change, a new name has been chosen to set us apart and differentiate this company from the previous one: we are now Climb X. Same sales team. Same distributors. Same production facility. Same product development staff. The same award-winning products.

(renamed, and with the usual running upgrades and color changes) as well as some fresh all-new offerings...

ClimbX is actually telling us that they are currently producing the same products "as before" - meaning when these people worked for MadRock.

Curt

Of course! Don't you remember their original "press release"? It basically said that they are the *real* MadRock (under a new name), and Young Chu had been kicked to the curb. Here's an excerpt to refresh your memory:

In reply to:
February 5, 2010: Joseph Garland, a founding member of Mad Rock Climbing since its inception in 2002 who announced his departure from the company in early January has returned to the industry, and is now working for Mad Rock's parent company and manufacturer. Three of Mad Rock's original partners: Alex Kim, Ken Kim and Joe Garland will continue the business under the new name "Climb X," with Joe Garland being named its new President. Original Mad Rock President and partner Young Chu will retain the Mad Rock name, but is no longer a member of this group. Climb X will assume the former Mad Rock operation, its distributors, most of its sales reps, international staff, warehouse, factory & production, and product development facility, as well as its Chinese and international warehouse facilities.

GO

Adk

Apr 5, 2010, 6:03 PM
Post #56 of 220 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:

ClimbX wrote:

Curt

I honestly don't find it troubling at all.

blueeyedclimber

Apr 5, 2010, 6:31 PM
Post #57 of 220 (3937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] ClimbX [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

+1

"I used better ink than the copy so mine physical print will last longer if exposed to the elements"

The design may be stolen but the materials could be of better quality making them a better shoe even though they were cheaper to manufacture or maybe it's that Climb X isn't marking them up so much as Mad Rock.Unsure

My point wasn't that the copy was inferior, it was that the original was inferior. They are a cheaper shoe, well, because they are a CHEAPER shoe.

jt512

Apr 5, 2010, 6:36 PM
Post #58 of 220 (3927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] ClimbX [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Adk wrote:
edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

+1

My point wasn't that the copy was inferior, it was that the original was inferior. They are a cheaper shoe, well, because they are a CHEAPER shoe.

Do you have any hard data to back that up, or is that just your impression?

Jay

A post merely asking for evidence gets one star. Only on rockclimbing.com

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Apr 5, 2010, 6:51 PM)

Partner cracklover

Apr 5, 2010, 6:39 PM
Post #59 of 220 (3922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
curt wrote:

ClimbX wrote:

Curt

Nor do I. I find the soap-opera element purely entertaining, and the "live by the sword, die by the sword" (or in this case, theft) element to be sad, but also funny in an ironic way.

GO

karmiclimber

Apr 5, 2010, 6:40 PM
Post #60 of 220 (3919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My point was that its ironic. And hilarious. "You're trying to kidnap what I've rightfully stolen!!" The biggest name in cheaper climbing shoe copies is calling no fair on someone for copying them. *Pops the popcorn*

curt

Apr 5, 2010, 6:41 PM
Post #61 of 220 (3916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
curt wrote:

ClimbX wrote:

Curt

Well, some people have ethics and some people don't.

Curt

karmiclimber

Apr 5, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #62 of 220 (3912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Mad Rock had mad ethics when they copied other climbing companies.

curt

Apr 5, 2010, 6:48 PM
Post #63 of 220 (3900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] ClimbX [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:

Oh, I'm not defending MadRock. I'm simply calling BS on ClimbX.

Curt

Adk

Apr 5, 2010, 6:51 PM
Post #64 of 220 (3892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
Adk wrote:
curt wrote:

ClimbX wrote:

Curt

Well, some people have ethics and some people don't.

Curt

Right. Ethics or morals?

Partner cracklover

Apr 5, 2010, 7:17 PM
Post #65 of 220 (3867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

Curt

Oh come on, Curt. I know you have a soft spot for MR, but when you look at how they got their start, doesn't this simply seem like them getting their just desserts?

GO

edge

Apr 5, 2010, 7:21 PM
Post #66 of 220 (3862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

+1

So you are hoping that the stolen designs, made in the very same factory, will be made with increased care, better materials, and for a lower price?

I'm not a betting man, but that hypothesis may make me one.

(This post was edited by edge on Apr 5, 2010, 7:46 PM)

curt

Apr 5, 2010, 7:46 PM
Post #67 of 220 (3842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] ClimbX [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
curt wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

Curt

Oh come on, Curt. I know you have a soft spot for MR, but when you look at how they got their start, doesn't this simply seem like them getting their just desserts?

GO

I don't know enough of the details about the breakup between Young Chu and Charles Cole to comment definitively. It is my understanding, however, that at least some of the designs and product development that ended up in the MadRock shoes was done jointly between the two. My source for that information is a long-time 5.10 employee.

So, I am less certain about any impropriety that may have occurred at MadRock's inception--maybe so, maybe not, I simply don't know. On the other hand, ClimbX, in my view, is a blatant rip-off of MadRock.

Curt

Adk

Apr 5, 2010, 7:47 PM
Post #68 of 220 (3839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Adk wrote:
edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

+1

So you are hoping that the stolen designs, made in the very same factory, will be made with increased care, better materials, and for a lower price?

I'm not a betting man, but that hypothesis may be an exception.

I haven't seen anywhere that they will be made in the same factory or with the same materials. I've seen that some of the same basic designs or looks are being carried through though.
The real question to some is who has the right to use them.
I honestly could care less who has the right. That is for them to decide.
I'm glad that the company has split. It will be a good thing in the end. One company will flourish and the other will either wither or finally pull it's head out of the sand.

curt

Apr 5, 2010, 8:01 PM
Post #69 of 220 (3829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
edge wrote:
Adk wrote:
edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

+1

I haven't seen anywhere that they will be made in the same factory or with the same materials...

Then you haven't been paying attention.

Curt

edge

Apr 5, 2010, 8:03 PM
Post #70 of 220 (3824 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:

I haven't seen anywhere that they will be made in the same factory

You quoted that yourself four posts up.

Production facility = factory in Chinese.

Partner cracklover

Apr 5, 2010, 8:06 PM
Post #71 of 220 (3818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
edge wrote:
Adk wrote:
edge wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
karmiclimber wrote:

+1

I haven't seen anywhere that they will be made in the same factory or with the same materials.

Then you're not paying any attention. They said quite clearly that they took over the Chinese operations (including the factory).

GO

edge

Apr 5, 2010, 8:08 PM
Post #72 of 220 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, Curt, Edge, and Cracklover all of the same opinion?

Where's the wormhole, I don't remember tumbling into a wormhole...

Partner cracklover

Apr 5, 2010, 8:36 PM
Post #73 of 220 (3800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

D'oh! I posted too slowly...

That's what I get for actually working.

Anyway, in response to this:

In reply to:
I don't know enough of the details about the breakup between Young Chu and Charles Cole to comment definitively. It is my understanding, however, that at least some of the designs and product development that ended up in the MadRock shoes was done jointly between the two. My source for that information is a long-time 5.10 employee.

So, I am less certain about any impropriety that may have occurred at MadRock's inception--maybe so, maybe not, I simply don't know. On the other hand, ClimbX, in my view, is a blatant rip-off of MadRock.

Yeah, sure, there is no rock-solid evidence that the guy who left five ten under suspicious circumstances and then started making cheap knock-offs in China did anything untoward.

You are absolutely right, I suppose, and perhaps we should all give the original founders of of Mad Rock the benefit of the doubt.

But if so, then why not extend that same courtesy to the current "controversy"? One could argue that the whole thing may be a misunderstanding that's been blown out of proportion. Or even go so far as to suggest that Joe might have been the aggrieved party, who was summarily fired, but everyone except senior execs sided with him, and wanted him to keep running their company the "right" way, while the big bad executives moved to Vietnam just to cut out the workers demanding a fair wage.

Any number of fairy tales could be dreamed up.

But so far as I'm concerned, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... then the old saying about there being no honor among thieves seems apropos.

GO

sidepull

Apr 5, 2010, 8:42 PM
Post #74 of 220 (3793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] ClimbX [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
sidepull wrote:
adatesman wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
What patents?

Well, a quick search of the USPTO site turned up patents for the guy from MR:
D516783 (shoe heel)
6470599 (concave shoe sole)
6050003 (boot with outside preformed stress relief)
7107656 (safety buckle)

Looks like he has some provisional ones as well...
20070209114 (sleeping bag with air pockets)
20060037179 (another safety buckle)
20050229364 (the safety buckle from 7107656)
20050138848 (climbing shoe with tension support sole)
20040226193 (climbing shoe with hooking rim)
20030196354 (climbing shoe with hooking teeth on the heel)
20030196350 (climbing shoe with lateral sling shot band)
20030172555 (internal split toe with a creased sole for climbing shoes)
20030115776 (climbing shoe with multiple hardness rubber sole)
20030037463 (climbing shoe with hooking rim)
20020152642 (climbing shoe with concave sole)

So yeah, if ClimbX is using stuff from any of them I'd expect things to become rather interesting.

I don't understand the need for all the discussion about trade secrets, secret sauce, and the Colonel's recipe - all the patents were posted a few posts into this thread. So Mad Rock should have recourse, yes?

You can't validly made that assumption without more information. Let me put it another way. The following is NOT necessarily true:
Company A owns some patents;
Company B copied some of Company A's products;
therefore Company B is infringing Company A's patents.

Here's one way to look at it: companies obtain patents for products that have not yet been released and may never be released. We don't know what products MadRock's patents cover without looking at the patents.

If anyone wants to see the patents, just go to the USPTO's website or, even easier, use Google's patent search feature: http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en

On a related point, while patents are presumed to be valid, that presumption is rebuttable, so perhaps ClimbX will take the position that MadRock's patents are invalid (to the extent it needs to). It's impossible to say in the abstract whether that's a good defense to the specific patents that may be at issue.

Also--patents and trade secrets are not necessarily one versus the other. It may be that certain aspects of a shoe are protected by a patent and other aspects (say, the formulation of the rubber) are protected as trade secrets. ClimbX could be liable for patent infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, both, or neither.

Excellent! You've done a great job of proving why people hate lawyers!

Adk

Apr 5, 2010, 8:43 PM
Post #75 of 220 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought Mad Rock moved their facility?
..just say....WRONG!!!!!Cool

I could have swore though. LOL!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook