Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
Longest/highest multi-pitch doable on a weekend from NYC?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

pawelx

Mar 29, 2010, 6:05 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1175 views)
Shortcut

Longest/highest multi-pitch doable on a weekend from NYC?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am in the US for a few months, based in NYC, with generally only weekends available for climbing. I would like to do some good multi-pitch trad climbs in the 5.5-5.8 range. I checked out the Gunks already last weekend, and the climbing there is great – will definitely be returning many times throughout this spring. But I would also like to try something a bit longer. So far I have read about the Whitehorse Ledge in New Hampshire, and routes there are supposed to be up to 10 pitches / 1000 feet of climbing. Are there any other destinations that I should look into?

5-6 hours of driving from NYC is probably the most that I can put up with…

Thanks

olderic

Mar 29, 2010, 6:36 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pawelx] Longest/highest multi-pitch doable on a weekend from NYC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cannon is marginally closer - I think you'd be hardpressed going from NYC-> North Conway in 6 hours - unless you do it in the dead of night (no traffic). I also think that finding a 10 pitch route on Whitehorse would be a stretch - could be done if you belay every possible inch of Standard I suppose. On the other hand there is more moderate climbing at Whitehorse. the riock quality is better and you have Cathedral right next store.

But the obvious place for you is Wallface in the Daks.

pawelx

Mar 30, 2010, 1:35 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Longest/highest multi-pitch doable on a weekend from NYC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wallface looks great. Are there any long routes there in 5.5-5.7 range though? The easiest I saw are around 5.8, and if the grading is as stiff as what I have seen in the Gunks, 5.8 on trad gear might be a little too hard to lead for me.

cush

Mar 31, 2010, 2:31 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pawelx] Longest/highest multi-pitch doable on a weekend from NYC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

even the 5.8s on wall face aren't too terribly long. if you want easier multi pitch stuff check out some of the other stuff in the dacks. there are plenty of 3-5 pitch moderates around poko moonshine and keene valley.

edit: plus, if you're down for something a little bit more alpine rock-ish you could try the slide on the north(i think) face of mount colden. it's about 1500 feet long. a lot of scrambly stuff but quite a few sections of solid 5.5-5.6 climbing.

(This post was edited by cush on Mar 31, 2010, 2:33 PM)

Partner chugach001

Apr 7, 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cush] Longest/highest multi-pitch doable on a weekend from NYC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love Roger's Rock. Stellar location with plenty of mid-level routes. Keene Valley sounds like the best fit for your needs.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook