Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
AREA CLOSURE!!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sway-reincarnate

Jul 28, 2007, 1:16 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3985 views)
Shortcut

AREA CLOSURE!!!!  (North_America: United_States: South_Carolina: North_Augusta)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sadly, due to the amount of underage drinking, drug deals, gang fights, and littering... this area has now been closed. Signs have been posted, the trails have been roped off and the Cops are patrolling the area for trespassers.

Last week coming back from a climb in this area we came across a policeman, who told us that they were working on closing the area due to all of the above reasons. We asked him was it against the law to be climbing down there since it was public domain. His response was something like the following "Although it isn't illegal at this point, you should not be climbing down there because some kid died a few years back after falling off, also we are going to close the whole area down anyway".

I am trying to get the people together and get a hold of the right people to get this area at least opened up to the climbing community.

Unfortunately with the closure of this area, and the Clarks Hill WMA, there is no longer any top rope climbing within the Augusta area. Unsure

anthony_160

Dec 15, 2007, 8:28 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3779 views)
Shortcut

trail closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This area can be approached by another means, as far as signs go, there are none to deter you from a day of dusty climbing.
I've waited to post this based on the hope of the original trail re-opening, but due to delinquents littering, causing random acts of vandelism, and their all around bad attitudes, this place had stayed closed.
I've been approaching this spot periodically for about a month now with no problems, hopefully it will continue.

If you decide to try your luck please please be discrete for there are some great problems here. I'll post some pics of the boulder problem I've been working in the top section.

cavscout26

Apr 19, 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anthony_160] trail closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any one have any more info about this area? Is it still closed or not?

whiskeyboriskie

Jul 4, 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cavscout26] trail closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude I have been wondering the same thing. I tried to find this spot a few months ago off the frisbee golf trail and had no success, but I would be willing to try and find it again and see if its still closed.

greatwhitebuffalo

Jul 4, 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whiskeyboriskie] trail closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would definitely be down to find this place if it wasn't restricted. Anyone know if its still illegal to climb there?
In reply to:

cavscout26

Jul 6, 2010, 1:29 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whiskeyboriskie] trail closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Let us know if find anything out about it.

tsalizz

May 9, 2011, 3:35 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cavscout26] trail closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend and I climbed there for the first time today. Didn't have time to do set a top rope, but had a lot of fun on the bouldering problems. Don't know about the legality of climbing here, but there's a sandy beach popular with boaters and locals that's pretty easily accessed without crossing any barriers.

That being said the most accessible route to the wall has a sign and a fence, but the fence in it's current orientation wouldn't prevent any access. If anyone still climbs this area let me know.

tkeefe

Dec 8, 2011, 5:57 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2353 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tsalizz] trail closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I go to school in Charleston and i live near edgefield just off of martintown road. I would LOVE to start climbing in this area! I am pretty familiar to the rec/hammonds ferry and all i want to know is a more detailed description on how to get to the different routes. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! i plan on scoping out the area when i get back to NA
In reply to:

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook