Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
10 days in USA
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

beyond_gravity

Apr 27, 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #1 of 3 (4990 views)
Shortcut

10 days in USA  (North_America: United_States)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My friend and I are road tripping down from Calgary from May 18th to May 28th. We originally planned on going to Tuolumne but now realize that there is a good chance the road will still be closed.

Would the High Sierra climbs be out as well? (Mt. Whitney, Evolution Traverse, etc)? Does the valley have a reasonable amount of longer, easier rock climbs? Alternatively, was also thinking about hitting up the Moab area and Zion.

Any beta to point me in the right direction would be awesome. We're looking for longer multi-pitch trad climbs up to 10b/c and/or alpine climbs up to 10a. Bonus if there is good whitewater kayaking too!

Cheers,
-Jeremy

edge

Apr 27, 2010, 11:39 PM
Post #2 of 3 (4980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beyond_gravity] 10 days in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Tuolumne will be definitely out.

Try the East Butt of El Cap, or the East Butt of Middle Cathedral. Both 5.9+-5.10.

Royal Arches to Crest Jewel will more than keep you happy for a day. (Partial day to climb, but a lifetime to remember.) Also check out the Central Pillar of Frenzy on Middle Cathedral; highly recommended

You will have more 5.10 and under routes in the Valley than you could complete in 50 ten day trips. Have fun!

caughtinside

Apr 27, 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #3 of 3 (4970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beyond_gravity] 10 days in USA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The high sierra will still have a ton of snow this May. It's still climbable if you want to do stuff in gnarly alpine conditions with snowy approaches.

And yeah, Tioga pass will almost certainly still be closed.

Don't know what the moab area is like at the end of may but I will guess it could be ok to way hot.

The valley does have lots of good 5.10 longer routes if you don't mind more crowds and the valley camping scene which can be fun but also a hassle.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook