RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

climbnewb

May 16, 2010, 6:51 PM
Post #1 of 12 (6465 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Etiquette
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

I have just started climbing, specifically bouldering, and I was wondering if there is a special climbing etiquette, or unspoken rules, of climbing.

Basically, what are some things I should do / avoid doing so the more experienced climbers around me aren't annoyed by me being a "noob"?

bill413

May 16, 2010, 7:11 PM
Post #2 of 12 (6446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbnewb] Climbing Etiquette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

climbnewb wrote:
Hello,

I have just started climbing, specifically bouldering, and I was wondering if there is a special climbing etiquette, or unspoken rules, of climbing.

Basically, what are some things I should do / avoid doing so the more experienced climbers around me aren't annoyed by me being a "noob"?

Stand back & observe for a bit. Do folks jump in randomly, or does there seem to be an order of rotation. Do they walk right up, or take a moment to see what other folks are doing?

Applies to the forums too; maybe there is already information on this problem.

(This post was edited by bill413 on May 16, 2010, 7:11 PM)

Partner j_ung

May 16, 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #3 of 12 (6387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know there are actually a whole set of such unwritten rules, but they're the exact same as in life. Everything you need to know about climbing etiquette you learned in kindergarten.

chalker7

May 16, 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #4 of 12 (6371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Climbing Etiquette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
You know there are actually a whole set of such unwritten rules, but they're the exact same as in life. Everything you need to know about climbing etiquette you should have learned in kindergarten.

But there clearly ARE some children left behind, as a general rule. Not that any of them are members of this site.

Gmburns2000

May 16, 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #5 of 12 (6350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Climbing Etiquette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chalker7 wrote:
j_ung wrote:
You know there are actually a whole set of such unwritten rules, but they're the exact same as in life. Everything you need to know about climbing etiquette you should have learned in kindergarten.

But there clearly ARE some children left behind, as a general rule. Not that any of them are members of this site.

Wait, what? Where'd everyone go? Who turned out the lights? Unsure

jbro_135

May 17, 2010, 2:25 AM
Post #6 of 12 (6281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you're obviously concerned about etiquette I would say that you're off to a good start. If you pay attention to what's going on around you and are somewhat conscientious you should do just fine. OH and don't stick bolts in stuff.

dingus

May 17, 2010, 2:38 AM
Post #7 of 12 (6269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] Climbing Etiquette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Potato goes in front.

DMT

climbnewb

May 17, 2010, 6:33 AM
Post #8 of 12 (6234 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] Climbing Etiquette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I know with most sports the experienced always look down at the newbies.

I don't want to be a newb that the people go "that's why i don't want new people joining the sport!" I've gone bouldering twice ever, and i've forced my self to complete v0's and v1's because i love the accomplishment and i don't want them to look at me a laugh.

Partner j_ung

May 17, 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #9 of 12 (6182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] Climbing Etiquette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chalker7 wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Certainly not. Laugh

climbnewb, don't take the general attitude on this site to be indicative of what you'll see at the crags. The web is less hospitable. By the above, I meant be polite and friendly. It's a selfish sense of entitlement in a crowd that tends to be less effective for all levels of climber. Toproping a classic? Offer to let others climb through. Want to climb with music? Use headphones. Have a dog? If he's not a quiet little angel, leave him at home -- you know, do-unto-others type of stuff.

(This post was edited by j_ung on May 17, 2010, 12:04 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

May 17, 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #10 of 12 (6163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbnewb wrote:
Well, I know with most sports the experienced always look down at the newbies.

I don't want to be a newb that the people go "that's why i don't want new people joining the sport!" I've gone bouldering twice ever, and i've forced my self to complete v0's and v1's because i love the accomplishment and i don't want them to look at me a laugh.

Be comfortable in your own skin. Don't worry about people laughing at you. Using your own inadequacies as a motivational factor is OK because it can get you to strive for improvement. However, the better approach to life is to remove your faults.

I'm talking about posting, but the same goes for climbing as well.

granite_grrl

May 17, 2010, 5:38 PM
Post #11 of 12 (6045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sure would be nice if you cleaned off your shoes before you hopped on the rock. Too many people don't think about it, but it can tend to smooth out the holds making them harder to use.

jeepnphreak

May 17, 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #12 of 12 (5983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbnewb wrote:
Hello,

So a few "rules" in my area, I dont boulder..but when headed out to the craig...

supply as much gear as you can. If you need to borrow shoes or harness mention this before you leave.

when more experienced climbers are taking you out to climb, new guy carries the rope(s).

The new guy buys the beer at the end of the day.

yes you can climb with me, but let the more experence climbers set the rope and belay. after a few times out they will let you know if/when they are ok to let you belay or lead.

Dont worry about when its your turn to climb, make a pseudo line and wait your turn, if bouldering. if waiting for a rope, the more experienced climbers will often let you climb fitst after the rope is up. We like giving Noobs a new experience.

Dont talk to much when some ons is working a route, so the belayer do his/her thing so there no distraction, chat up the other climbers in your group instead. Just be sure your not interfer with the climber and belayer. Dont be concerned by look dumb if if will save someones life ie YOU.
climbers, I have found that climbers like to help people out and share their knowledge.

climb your best and have fun. Dont worry if you dont top out the first time, make that route a project and try again later. and it ok to ask for Bata if you stuck on a move. The point is have FUN.

again ask questions. If there is somthing you dont know make sure the more experineced climber know this so they can tell/show the proper way. for example, If you dont know how to tie in, ASK.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook