Premier Sponsor:

Poll: Stone Mountain, NC
Never heard of it 2 / 7%
I've heard of it, it sounds like hell, will never climb there 1 / 4%
I've heard of it, can't wait to climb there 4 / 14%
I've climbed there, it is hell, will never do it again 2 / 7%
I enjoy climbing there but the runouts seem ridiculous 2 / 7%
The runouts actually make perfect sense to me 10 / 36%
Even though first hand experience tells me to never climb there in summer, I will do it anyway 3 / 11%
Most of the above 4 / 14%
28 total votes

swoopee

May 18, 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1471 views)
Shortcut

Stone Mountain, NC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't know why but I both love and hate Stone Mountain. Everytime that I climb there, there is at least one brief moment that makes me swear that I will never go back, but then as soon as I leave, I am thinking about going back.

csproul

May 18, 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swoopee] Stone Mountain, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb there often, I love it, and the run-outs are part of its charm. The nice part is that the harder you climb, the better the protection (with some exceptions of course). Going there in the summer would just be silly.

TarHeelEMT

May 18, 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Even though first hand experience tells me to never climb there in summer, I will do it anyway

I was tempted to go with "the runouts make perfect sense," but I couldn't help but laugh at climbing Stone in summer.

The runouts do make sense, though. The mind game is pretty much the point of climbing at Stone. While it's scary as hell, it's at least reasonably safe, and there are few places where you could replicate the experience.

I love it, but I'd lose my marbles if I climbed there every weekend.

notapplicable

May 19, 2010, 3:18 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Stone Mountain, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
The nice part is that the harder you climb, the better the protection (with some exceptions of course).

And, much like other places, the cleaner and safer the falls (with some exceptions of course).

guangzhou

May 19, 2010, 3:47 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Stone Mountain, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
csproul wrote:
The nice part is that the harder you climb, the better the protection (with some exceptions of course).

And, much like other places, the cleaner and safer the falls (with some exceptions of course).

I've climbed a bit at stone. Did some hard routes and I don't remember more bolts on them. Bolted like Glacier Point in Yosemite.

sungam

May 19, 2010, 9:45 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the perfect situation. Living on the other side of the pond I can reminisce on the time I spent there, and pretend to plan a return trip and think of the fun routes I would do there - all without ever actually having to climb there again. Bliss!

Partner j_ung

May 19, 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Stone Mountain, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stone Mountain is terrific, and there are a few very-well protected gems there, to boot. Check out Fleet Feet and Fantastic for two. On all the other routes, if you just don't lose your shit, you send. I'll point out one other thing, too: the falls, though potentially loooonnnng... are safer than some people seem to think. Most result in only the most minor of injuries or none at all, a few result in major road rash, and I don't think anybody's ever died from one.

trenchdigger

May 19, 2010, 1:10 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Stone Mountain, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yah, there are some runouts, but c'mon people, it's a 45 degree slab with big crystals and ridiculously good friction. The grades are soft and the climbing generally not technically difficult (just keep your weight over your feet). Is it fun? Hell yah... But the "Stone Mountain Runout" is overhyped. If you want to earn some serious hardman status (or die trying) you'll have better luck elsewhere.

tks

May 19, 2010, 2:14 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Stone Mountain, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't understand the hype either: Stone has slab routes that were put up on lead. You can't drill a bolt if you don't have a stance. If you've done any slab climbs anywhere else, the protection at Stone Mountain doesn't seem unreasonable.

The climbing and the protection at Stone is in line with slab at Whitehorse, Suicide, and Joshua Tree.

csproul

May 19, 2010, 2:47 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Stone Mountain, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
csproul wrote:

I've climbed a bit at stone. Did some hard routes and I don't remember more bolts on them. Bolted like Glacier Point in Yosemite.
Generally there aren't more bolts on the harder climbs, but they are usually placed closer to the crux sections, so it feels less run-out to me. And I agree, Stone is not really different than climbing in Tuolumne/Suicide/Glacier Point...

swoopee

May 19, 2010, 3:35 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1222 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tks] Stone Mountain, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tks wrote:
I don't understand the hype either: Stone has slab routes that were put up on lead. You can't drill a bolt if you don't have a stance. If you've done any slab climbs anywhere else, the protection at Stone Mountain doesn't seem unreasonable.

The climbing and the protection at Stone is in line with slab at Whitehorse, Suicide, and Joshua Tree.

Shhh! Don't tell everyone. Climbers that are much better than I am are totally impressed that I lead moderate routes at Stone. Wink It is now one of my favorite places to climb, and the runouts do make perfect sense. If it wasn't a 2 hour drive for me, I'd climb there more often.

trenchdigger

May 19, 2010, 4:27 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tks] Stone Mountain, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tks wrote:
Though I haven't climbed at Whitehorse, I would generally disagree. The climbing at Stone is generally less technical than at JTree and especially Suicide, and there is a notable lack of harder routes that you find at both of those other places. The shiny, new stainless bolts at Stone now are also far better than most of the bolts you'll find at the other locales.

Now, I had a great time climbing at Stone Mountain. I just thought the original post seemed like a bit of chest puffing without much to back it up.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook