Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

USnavy

May 26, 2010, 7:35 AM
Post #1 of 43 (4619 views)
Shortcut

How does time affect rope impact force?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am considering picking up a new rope on sale but noticed it was made over four years ago. Normally I wouldn't care if I was using it for sport. However considering its for trad and it already has an impact force of just under 9 kN, I ask, how much does four years in a closet increase the impact force of the rope? Is it relatively miniscule or noticeable?

(This post was edited by USnavy on May 26, 2010, 7:35 AM)

gmggg

May 26, 2010, 2:10 PM
Post #2 of 43 (4580 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I am considering picking up a new rope on sale but noticed it was made over four years ago. Normally I wouldn't care if I was using it for sport. However considering its for trad and it already has an impact force of just under 9 kN, I ask, how much does four years in a closet increase the impact force of the rope? Is it relatively miniscule or noticeable?

Who made the rope?

Arrogant_Bastard

May 27, 2010, 5:05 AM
Post #3 of 43 (4501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What color is the rope?

shimanilami

May 27, 2010, 5:36 AM
Post #4 of 43 (4488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How long is the rope?

majid_sabet

May 27, 2010, 5:56 AM
Post #5 of 43 (4484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

you mean picking up your first rope ever?

cleethree

May 27, 2010, 4:56 PM
Post #6 of 43 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how big was the closet?

moose_droppings

May 27, 2010, 5:50 PM
Post #8 of 43 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cleethree] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cleethree wrote:
how big was the closet?

You sure you don't mean, what is the mass of the closet?

Please read completely through this for clarification.

Laugh Wink

justroberto

May 27, 2010, 5:59 PM
Post #9 of 43 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
USnavy wrote:

you mean picking up your first rope ever?
Ya your mom let me use hers before but after tearing through it faster then I tear through her, I decided to get my own.

bill413

May 27, 2010, 6:01 PM
Post #10 of 43 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
cleethree wrote:
how big was the closet?

Laugh Wink

Well, like so much else in climbing, It Depends.
Is it a metric or non-metric closet?

gmggg

May 27, 2010, 7:31 PM
Post #11 of 43 (4368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
cleethree wrote:
how big was the closet?

Laugh Wink

Well, like so much else in climbing, It Depends.
Is it a metric or non-metric closet?

The correct non-metric name for closet would really be storeroom. Closets are a special subset of cabinets used primarily for linens and other household goods. Trying to convert from storerooms to closets is like trying to convert from cabinets to cupboards.

patmay81

May 27, 2010, 7:39 PM
Post #12 of 43 (4362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm, I've got a rope that I store in a 360 cu.ft. closet (not cupboard or cabinet) after every time I use it. I've had this particular rope (10.2MMx60M, green and white, maxxim) for at least 4 years.

It seems to work great for trad still.
I can't say what the impact forces are on it any more, but it still catches falls just fine as of last week.

Partner cracklover

May 27, 2010, 7:52 PM
Post #13 of 43 (4356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

Ropes tend to shrink over time without usage. Make sure you don't rap off the end! You might want to consult this thread for suggestions on how to measure it.

GO

seatbeltpants

May 27, 2010, 8:26 PM
Post #14 of 43 (4342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hehehe - thank you all for improving my friday morning :D

hafilax

May 27, 2010, 8:42 PM
Post #15 of 43 (4333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Where do you come up with these questions?

majid_sabet

May 27, 2010, 8:54 PM
Post #16 of 43 (4320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Ropes tend to shrink over time without usage. Make sure you don't rap off the end! You might want to consult this thread for suggestions on how to measure it.

GO

correct except ,when you rapping, your weight actually is adding 5% to length of the rope( static elongation) so with 50m you could easily rap a 52 +_ meter

gmggg

May 27, 2010, 8:57 PM
Post #17 of 43 (4313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
cracklover wrote:
USnavy wrote:

GO

correct except ,when you rapping, your weight actually is adding 5% to length of the rope( static elongation) so with 50m you could easily rap a 52 +_ meter

That all depends on what you eat while you are climbing.

bill413

May 27, 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #18 of 43 (4287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
cracklover wrote:
USnavy wrote:

GO

I'm going to have to get a more accurate barometer.

jt512

May 27, 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #19 of 43 (4275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
cracklover wrote:
USnavy wrote:

GO

Get one that's calibrated in inches of mercury, so Aric can throw another hissy fit.

Jay

bill413

May 28, 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #20 of 43 (4248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
bill413 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
cracklover wrote:
USnavy wrote:

GO

Get one that's calibrated in inches of mercury, so Aric can throw another hissy fit.

Jay

Of course, barometers tend to be read in decimal inches of mercury (29.81" or 1009.5mb where I am right now).

adatesman

May 28, 2010, 1:12 AM
Post #21 of 43 (4233 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

donald949

May 28, 2010, 1:17 AM
Post #22 of 43 (4228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
So its going to be a trad rope? A trad trad or a sport trad? As in new trad or old trad. Do you ever think you might use it as a Mixed trad trad rope?

bill413

May 28, 2010, 1:42 AM
Post #23 of 43 (4214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
This:
USnavy wrote:

Coming from the guy who so recently said this while arguing relative experience with Dingus?

USnavy wrote:
I have climbed near 100 multi-pitch lines including the longest and only grade V sport climb in North America and a R rated grade III+ 5.11d. Soon I will be adding El Cap to my tick list as well. Enough with the "your a noob" bullshit, your what, 40? 45? Please...

Well, if he climbed them all in less than 4 years...

marc801

May 28, 2010, 3:57 AM
Post #24 of 43 (4190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm surprised no one has asked the most important, obvious question yet: what time of day do you plan to fall on the rope? We all know that impact force increases exponentially the later in the day the fall is taken.

One wonders at this point, was the OP born a moron or were special classes required?

(This post was edited by marc801 on May 28, 2010, 3:58 AM)

norushnomore

May 28, 2010, 8:41 AM
Post #25 of 43 (4002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] How does time affect rope impact force? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
I'm surprised no one has asked the most important, obvious question yet: what time of day do you plan to fall on the rope? We all know that impact force increases exponentially the later in the day the fall is taken.

One wonders at this point, was the OP born a moron or were special classes required?

Common, you don't need to be a smart a$$ here. This is a legit question, and if you are climbing a lot you are going thru a lot of ropes.

A few years back I did get a rope on sale at Gear Express. First time I tried using it became obvious something was not right about it, no give, very stiff. I examined the packaging and found out it was over 4 years old.

I called GE guys, they were very nice, apologized and overnighted me a replacement rope.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook