RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

TheProducer

May 29, 2010, 9:07 PM
Post #1 of 12 (7001 views)
Shortcut

Complete List of Top Rope Gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, can some one please give me a complete list of gear (including lengths and such) to use for top roping. or what you use and what type of exact gear a.k.a not just 3 locking carabiners but the names of them and for what.

yes i know to get expert experience, which i am this sunday im taking an anchor course with EMS. so thanks!

acorneau

May 29, 2010, 9:24 PM
Post #2 of 12 (6986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheProducer] Complete List of Top Rope Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

TheProducer wrote:
Hey guys, can some one please give me a complete list of gear (including lengths and such) to use for top roping. or what you use and what type of exact gear a.k.a not just 3 locking carabiners but the names of them and for what.

yes i know to get expert experience, which i am this sunday im taking an anchor course with EMS. so thanks!

Wow, not askin' much, are ya?

A little searching on this site's beginner FAQ's and maybe a few other websites (Google) will tell you a lot.

Unfortunately no one can tell you exactly what you need because 1.) no one knows what your circumstances will be and 2.) everyone has different preferences for gear.

clc

May 29, 2010, 9:53 PM
Post #3 of 12 (6972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I usually clip 2 quickdraws into the top anchor {2 bolts}clip the draws to the rope. your done. The brand or model of draws or biners does not matter. DMM, Black Diamond and Petzl are common where I climb.

Most importantly listen to "expert" this weekend

Partner oldsalt

May 29, 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #4 of 12 (6952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

TheProducer wrote:

You don't mention the most important part of the equation: a Partner!

You are going to have a belayer, right? I strongly recommend that you go with someone with enough experience to be useful to you, and to keep you both safe this trip.

If you are taking out someone with less experience, and you don't know about gear, you will be doing something [understated]unsafe[/understated].

I am speaking from experience... I took my son-in-law as my partner for my first outdoor experience. We ended up climbing 4th-class scree on my rope. It was still exciting, but if an anchor had failed or one of us fell on that cheese grater surface, we would have had many regrets.

Your best gear is someone with more experience than you.

dagibbs

May 30, 2010, 1:13 AM
Post #5 of 12 (6935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

TheProducer wrote:
not just 3 locking carabiners but the names of them and for what.

Well, I name my locking carabiners Mary, Claudia, and Marco. Mary and Claudia are really curvy, and they keep me company in my tent at night. But Marco is far straighter, and just holds my shoes for me.

TheProducer

May 30, 2010, 2:52 AM
Post #6 of 12 (6911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Complete List of Top Rope Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha, yeah i guess you guys are right with preferences and circumstances. Truth-fully my plan was to take this course with the guide for TR anchors and cliff etiquette and such, master it, practice it over and over, memorize the checks and everything about it, write it down, just so i know it really well and start TRing this summer just so i didnt have to pay for a guide everytime i wanna go climbing outdoors, my climbing partner is going to be my sister, shes older than me but is less experienced with climbing, she just knows how to climb and belay pretty much, iv been taught about equalizing anchors and know quite enough (not trying to brag or sound like a know it all guy) to the point where i feel like i'd be able to test and see if a system is unsafe or not. But Oldsalt you bring up a valid point with the experience, id like to have someone there when i go out for the first time to set it up and climb, the place im going to is basically so populated its considered an outdoor gym (YUUUK!!) but hopefully i can just ask another climber when im there if they would check my system and make sure its on point!

any ways sorry for that 3824902384 word rant Wink thanks for the jokes and advice guys!

Partner oldsalt

May 30, 2010, 3:03 AM
Post #7 of 12 (6902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You sound like someone I'd like to climb with. Do the work and climbing is the real deal. Whatever that means.

lofstromc

May 30, 2010, 3:25 AM
Post #8 of 12 (6898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock and Ice had a magazine called "How To Climb the Complete Guide". It wasn't a monthly issue; it was something else. In it they had a very good step by step procedure on how to set up a toprope. Look for it, it will help you.

jeepnphreak

Jun 1, 2010, 4:00 PM
Post #9 of 12 (6735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I try to give the best advice I can here.
Go to the anchor coarse first. Get the proper insrtuctions.
Durning that time get the info ON what kind of anchor point you will be incounrting in your area; there is not a universal anchor that is used. Trees, bolts, chains, car bumpers, pro in cracks ect.

after you know what you have to anchor to then you can start buying gear.

patmay81

Jun 1, 2010, 4:57 PM
Post #10 of 12 (6697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TheProducer wrote:
haha, yeah i guess you guys are right with preferences and circumstances. Truth-fully my plan was to take this course with the guide for TR anchors and cliff etiquette and such, master it, practice it over and over, memorize the checks and everything about it, write it down, just so i know it really well and start TRing this summer just so i didnt have to pay for a guide everytime i wanna go climbing outdoors, my climbing partner is going to be my sister, shes older than me but is less experienced with climbing, she just knows how to climb and belay pretty much, iv been taught about equalizing anchors and know quite enough (not trying to brag or sound like a know it all guy) to the point where i feel like i'd be able to test and see if a system is unsafe or not. But Oldsalt you bring up a valid point with the experience, id like to have someone there when i go out for the first time to set it up and climb, the place im going to is basically so populated its considered an outdoor gym (YUUUK!!) but hopefully i can just ask another climber when im there if they would check my system and make sure its on point!

any ways sorry for that 3824902384 word rant Wink thanks for the jokes and advice guys!
I'm usually not a grammar nazi, but that is a sentence that would make even Herman M. blush!

desertwanderer81

Jun 1, 2010, 8:18 PM
Post #11 of 12 (6653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TheProducer wrote:

Why not just wait till you take the course and ask the people there what the best gear for the area would be?

gunkiemike

Jun 1, 2010, 9:25 PM
Post #12 of 12 (6633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TheProducer wrote:
Truth-fully my plan was to take this course with the guide for TR anchors and cliff etiquette and such, master it, practice it over and over, memorize the checks and everything about it, write it down, just so i know it really well and start TRing this summer just so i didnt have to pay for a guide everytime i wanna go climbing outdoors,

It sounds like you're assuming you will be shown THE ONE AND TRUE WAY (tm) to build a TR anchor. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are MANY ways to arrange an anchor. It depends what you have to work with gear-wise and anchor-wise (trees? boulders? bolts? gear?). If nothing else, the instructor must teach you the essential elements of a good anchor - SRENE or some equivalent standard. If you come away with some rigid rule like "Two bolts means a 4 ft sling + 4 locking biners", then the instructor has failed to teach you what you need to know. That's where the mentor/old salt comes in. He/she can take any reasonable TR spot and likely show a half dozen different ways to construct the anchor.

Put another way - if the crowd you climb with is fond of long pieces of webbing, tell that to your instructor and they can focus on webbing-based set-ups. OTOH, if 9 mm static rope is your thing, learn how to use that. If you have trees in the area, learn how to rig off them. Likewise if there are bolted anchors and/or boulders (Otter Cliff, ME comes to mind) focus on what to do there.

In short - there is no COMPLETE LIST of TR gear.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook