RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

flamer

Dec 15, 2002, 10:36 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Dr. Piton...."docking" the pig...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

HHHmmm, here's a question for ya. Maybe more of a what do you think about... Ever tried using one of your beloved adjustable daisy's on your pig? They make it very easy to unweight the pig from the haul line or the anchor. Kind'a like a mini haul. Granted it's not the best for a serious lower out, but it can be a good way for you to get the bag off the anchor and onto the lower out line. Just a little trick I've used...and so easy! Obviously it has some flaws, so I'm curious what do you think?
josh

mountaingoat8

Dec 15, 2002, 11:08 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Dr. Piton...."docking" the pig... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gee, when i saw that post i thought:

"why is he discussing Fl's new constitutional amendments on a rockclimbing site?"

silly me

Partner philbox

Dec 16, 2002, 12:24 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess that`s one way of doing it. But the question I need to ask you is, why haul on an adjustable daisey to unweight the pig when you could simply untie a docking tether and let that pig fly.

Yes Virginia, pigs really do fly.

...Phil...

passthepitonspete

Dec 16, 2002, 2:17 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What the .....? Flying pigs?!

Voice of Curly from the Three Stooges:
"Oh, wise guy, huh?"

Hmm, using an adjustable daisy would work, I suppose, but here are the problems:

It's expensive - a Docking Tether cord is much cheaper

Only the Yates-style adjustable daisy [with] would be easily releasable - the Metololius-style [which has the D-ring setup and doesn't slip over time like the buckle kinds do] would be rather difficult to release under tension

The lower-out concept is neither here nor there - you have tied your pig onto the haul line with an alpine butterfly knot, and your excess haul line becomes your lower-out line.

I still believe the Docking Tether to be the Better Way.

However, your idea sounds good in theory...

flamer

Dec 16, 2002, 2:24 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, the Yates is the one I've been using. point taken about the cost. I am using one of my old ones. I guess working at a shop has it's bene's(I don't any more damn it!). I have found it to work quite well, and would suggest it's use when available.
Philbox- You don't actually "haul" on the daisy!You just leave it attached to the bag - when El piggy gets to the hauler- clip it in, zip it up- Wham Bam- Unweighted! Ready to Cut'er loose- Alpine butterfly; ala' PTPP, pulled tight on upper haul- push the little button- Zip! Bang!-unweighted- unclip- off she goes!
You Funny guy!
josh

[ This Message was edited by: flamer on 2002-12-15 18:35 ]

valygrl

Dec 17, 2002, 4:08 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I have not done this with a pig, but I have done it with... my SELF! (This was cleaning a roof, using Yates daisies.)

And "- Zip! Bang!-unweighted- " is an accurate description of the speeeeeed at which the object (oink!) will move to the end of the daisy. You don't get any control over the speed of lower-out with a Yates daisy that is heavily weighted. It's all or nothing. You push the button and it zips out. (Much in the way that a munter hitch does NOT.)

So the pig (or me, in my case) zips to the end of the daisy as fast as she wants to go. At this point, I really have to say "Squeal like a pig!" It's unavoidable.

So unless your pig is going to come up tight on the lower-out line or the haul line, for sure, for sure before she hits the end of the adjustable daisy, you're going to end up with a traditional situation - pig hanging from (fully extended, adjustable) daisy, and no way to get her off the anchor.

I would think it is doable, but I would prefer (and I am speaking purely theoretically here) to use that sweet little munter hitch on the top of the docking tether.

On the other hand, this might be just the excuse I am looking for to get those Metolius Adjustable Daisies and retire the annoying Yates ones....

My $.02

Go ahead. Call me a pig. I dare you.

flamer

Dec 17, 2002, 7:29 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can control the speed if you hold on to the other end of the "strap", or just don't push the button all the way...play with it a little you'll see! And you should have the bag slightly tensionedby the "upper" Haul before you try to get the pig off the anchor using any method. This is just a quick and easy way of doing this, there are many ways! You have to find what works best for you, Dr. piton talks about the "better" way all the time...well that is the better way in his opinion. Now please uunderstand that I am NOT bashing him in the least! He is incredibly knowledgable and experienced! However I don't use all of the same methods, and wouldn't nessecarily agree with everyway he does things! The thing everyone needs to realise is there are a hundred different ways to do almost everything...and the more of them you know the better! I think it was best described to me as "one more tool for your toolbox". As with all of these methods, try it out!
josh

valygrl

Dec 17, 2002, 7:47 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Josh - Ok that's interesting. I couldn't control the speed, it wouldn't slide in control - either it was locked or it was zipping. I did try to manage my speed with both the buckle and the other end of the strap.

I wonder if it depends on which way the buckle is pointing too, which could be different for the haul bag than if you are lowering yourself.

I wasn't trying to disagree with you as much as it probably sounded like. Was just trying to share my own experience of using these things.

Clearly I should have had more coffee before writing that other post.

Happy hauling!

Anna

passthepitonspete

Dec 17, 2002, 9:22 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dr. Piton wrote,

Quote:"Your relationship with your pig is like any other relationship you have in life - either you must retain control, or you will be controlled. This maxim holds true both with sows and with sweeties. This is especially true if your sweetie also happens to be a sow."

"Carpe hottiem!"

flamer

Dec 18, 2002, 1:29 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

josh

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook