RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

ludo

Jun 6, 2010, 2:54 AM
Post #1 of 25 (26450 views)
Shortcut

Log book
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I got this idea from scuba diving. All (well most) scuba divers keep a log book with a description of every single dive they have ever done. So coming back from Joshua tree this weekend, i thought about creating the same thing for rock climbing.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, a log book is basically a book or binder scuba divers keep to record all of your dives (depth, water temp, location, dive number, ect.) Now i created a basic one for rock climbing, so you can keep track of how many climbs you have done, there height, difficulty, location, and any notes you make on them.

I realize some of you think this is just plainly a stupid idea, but please, you don't need to tell me.

The template i created here is customized for me, i only boulder, I mainly climbing in Fontainebleau, France (not yet, but moving there in a couple weeks) so i keep that under the locations line so i can just check the box instead of fully writing it.

Here is a sample.
Tell me what you guys think, and email me if you want one, i can customize it for your needs to.

(This post was edited by ludo on Jun 6, 2010, 3:55 PM)
Attachments: rock climbing log book.pdf (120 KB)

jt512

Jun 6, 2010, 3:14 AM
Post #2 of 25 (26430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ludo] Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Seems like an awkward format. Difficult to summarize the data. Most climbers I know who keep a climbing log, use a 1-line-per-entry format. Might be useful as a data entry form for a database.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jun 6, 2010, 3:17 AM)

socalclimber

Jun 6, 2010, 3:35 AM
Post #3 of 25 (26411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never kept a log book so to speak, but I have made notes in my and/or check marks next to the routes I've done in my guide books.

ludo

Jun 6, 2010, 3:40 AM
Post #4 of 25 (26406 views)
Shortcut

Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a goal to make it as compact as possible so i could print more on one page, but i still need to clean it up some.

As of writing in my guide book, I do that also, but the problem with that is you can only keep track of the ones you bought an entire guide book for.

rhythm164

Jun 6, 2010, 5:31 AM
Post #5 of 25 (26365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wouldn't an Excel spreadsheet be easier, not to mention not a waste of paper.

jaablink

Jun 6, 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #6 of 25 (26334 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you just want records for yourself there is nothing wrong with what you have there. Its nice that you have the name and date on the top so you can index them easy.

I used the logging system here on RC.com but it is not reliable. Several months ago everything in the NH route database was erased , and with it everyone’s assents. They eventually got the routes back up but not the corresponding user data, good to have a hard copy….

Note, If you ever want to pursue any higher level educator status in the future this information will be useful

Route
Date
Grade
Commitment rating
Partner
Type of assent
Notes: onsite , redpoint, granite, crack, bad weather , good weather , time on route, descent time, supplies to bring, gear used, 15 pitch , special or tricky gear on p4, poor condition of fixed gear, skip intermediate belay on p8, bring no.5 for small offwith section….,….,….and so on…

Have a great time in France…

wonderwoman

Jun 6, 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #7 of 25 (26323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very cool idea! I keep a journal of climbs that I have done or want to do, but I am not 100% consistent with keeping it. I am, however, consistent with keeping track of ascents in my guidebook. Your format looks like something that I might use.

I also just downloaded the 8a.nu iPhone app that let's you record
ascents & then synchs to their website. I haven't really played with it yet, but it's the same basic idea as a log book.

Partner epoch

Jun 6, 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #8 of 25 (26318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All routes are less than 4.5m(15ft)? Crap, I knew I was doing it wrong!

Seriously, though. I use an excel spreadsheet. Though, I haven't touched it in a very long time. Usually I just mark it off in the guidebook as complete.

tehbillzor

Jun 6, 2010, 1:01 PM
Post #9 of 25 (26315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of my climbs i just keep in my head, but every once and a while i will write something down. When i write them down i record 2 pieces of information: where the climb is, and if i would do it again.

Partner angry

Jun 6, 2010, 1:28 PM
Post #10 of 25 (26306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tehbillzor] Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I personally wish that I'd written down every climb I've ever done.

Moreso, I wish I'd written them on paper.

I would fucking kill to have several notebooks, most many years old, pages falling out, with dates, climbs, grades, thoughts, and rough sketches.

I tried the database idea in excel and tried to go retroactively. I got through Vedauwoo and lost interest. It's basically insurmountable now 15 years into the game.

To me, such a collection of paper books would be precious.

Maybe I'll start tomorrow and go forward.

ludo

Jun 6, 2010, 3:51 PM
Post #11 of 25 (26262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
All routes are less than 4.5m(15ft)? Crap, I knew I was doing it wrong!

As I said I use this only for bouldering, and the grade of the climb is in the french bouldering grade, but I would be happy to change it for anyone

Here is a new draft:
Attachments: rock climbing log book.pdf (120 KB)

jt512

Jun 6, 2010, 4:22 PM
Post #12 of 25 (26241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ludo wrote:

Here is a new draft:

Is there a specific program you used to design the form? I'd like to be able to be able to design forms that look like that.

Jay

ludo

Jun 6, 2010, 5:27 PM
Post #13 of 25 (26218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only used microsoft word

Im also thinking about making a computer program that lets you do the same thing, but log it on your hard drive.
But that would be a while...

For a computer program-like log, i am working for on the same thing as above, but instead of printing it out And writing it, you would fill it out on the computer and click check buttons and radio buttons.

Agian, i could customize it for you

jt512

Jun 6, 2010, 5:58 PM
Post #14 of 25 (26201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ludo wrote:
I only used microsoft word

Im also thinking about making a computer program that lets you do the same thing, but log it on your hard drive.
But that would be a while...

For a computer program-like log, i am working for on the same thing as above, but instead of printing it out And writing it, you would fill it out on the computer and click check buttons and radio buttons.

It's been done before—by me and others—which is not to say that you shouldn't do it.

Microsoft Access is well suited for this kind of thing. You can design the data entry forms graphically. The data is stored in a database, and the user can design reports to view or summarize the data any way he wants to see it.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jun 6, 2010, 5:58 PM)

edge

Jun 6, 2010, 6:50 PM
Post #15 of 25 (26184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I personally wish that I'd written down every climb I've ever done.

Moreso, I wish I'd written them on paper.

I would fucking kill to have several notebooks, most many years old, pages falling out, with dates, climbs, grades, thoughts, and rough sketches.

I tried the database idea in excel and tried to go retroactively. I got through Vedauwoo and lost interest. It's basically insurmountable now 15 years into the game.

To me, such a collection of paper books would be precious.

Maybe I'll start tomorrow and go forward.

I bought this book when I started climbing, and filled up 4 of them from 1978 to 1983. I really wish I had continued to keep them after that.

Basically, I have four volumes of a powder blue book entitled "Climbing Notes" and in much smaller font "The Mountaineers", all printed in gold lettering. Inside, each page has spaces for:

Climb, Date(s)
Area/Range
Ascent Route
Descent Route
Altitude, Elevation Gain

Total Distance, Map(s)/Guide(s)
Times: Ascent, Summit, Descent
Grade, Class, Leads
Equipment Used:
Weather
Rope Partners
Climb Leaders, Number in Party
Flora/Fauna
Comments: (this section was by far the longest, with 16 lines allotted to describing the climb in question)
Driving Notes (route, time, distance)

God, I wish I had kept similar notes for my entire climbing career, instead of relying on memory, which I now find to be (I forgot my point here?)

Anyway, here is the first entry in my Log Book, without editing, which I wrote at the tender age of 17.

Beginners Route, July 21, 1977
Whitehorse Ledge, North Conway, NH
Beginners Route- FA Herbert Towle and party
Walked off around right side of cliff
1455'/442m, 900'/276m
A rock Climbers Guide/ Ross, Ellms
6 Hours, 3:30 pm, 45 min.
I, 5.4, 10 (leads)
Runners, biners, small titons, one 150'rope
Hot, dry, sunny
Steve Orth, Dave Orth
Loran Smith, Steve Orth, 3
Pine trees, no fauna on route, ants were present below Lunch Ledge.
"Because of it's low angle, we picked Whitehorse as the scene for our first major rock climb. Steve and I both wanted to lead, so we decided that he should lead the first half and me the second. The three of us were all on a 150', 3/8" Goldline, so the pitches were short, but we managed to make it up to the top of the arch without incident. Here Steve became scared of the overall situation, and after many attempts we were able to lower him enough to pendulum off to the side, where he grabbed some trees. This done, I led Dave up the rest of the climb on rather dubious protection. The slabs at the top offered little resistance except for one unroped section in which Dave almost slipped. No trouble after this.

From Brookfield, NH to N Conway, NH via rte 16; 1 hour, 50 miles. Steve drove.

What the Christ were we doing there? At the time my partners had no gear, and my entire rack was one 150' Goldline rope, a Whillans harness, one full set of Forrest Titons, 3 shoulder length slings, 10 steel oval carabiners, and a cliffhanger. I am not sure why I needed a cliffhanger at the time, but I had one.

The more I reread this Climbing Log, the more I realize that I should have been dead 40 times over.

And yet, I wouldn't trade any of those early experiences for the world, then or now.

(This post was edited by edge on Jun 6, 2010, 6:51 PM)

Partner oldsalt

Jun 6, 2010, 7:58 PM
Post #16 of 25 (26158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have kept a paper log of every climb, plus I did an Excel worksheet to note and tally the number of routes/pitches for each trip. I track TR/Lead Sport/Lead Gear/Solo TR/Solo Lead Sport/Solo Lead Gear.

My kids give me a new log book for Christmas each year. They have real value to me. (They: kids and log books, both)

I really enjoy going back to revisit trips. Since I live in Florida and drive to crags every month, my outdoor climbs come at a price.

Partner robdotcalm

Jun 6, 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #17 of 25 (26113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with JT that a database is the way to go. I use Microsoft Access. The advantage of a database to a spread sheet is that searching is so much easier and it’s also easier to keep extended notes (text) if one wants to. A few days ago somebody asked me to climb Anthill at Eldorado. Looked at the database and immediately saw I had climbed it 4 times the last being 18 years ago. Especially nice to read over the comments I had made.

Attached is a page of my main form

Cheers,
Rob.calm
Attachments: Climbing DB Access.jpg (51.9 KB)

ludo

Jun 7, 2010, 2:42 AM
Post #18 of 25 (26077 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im looking at access right now, had to download the openoffice one though because i wasn't ready to spend $120 on the Microsoft one

Thanks for the tip

(This post was edited by ludo on Jun 7, 2010, 2:44 AM)

Partner robdotcalm

Jun 7, 2010, 3:21 AM
Post #19 of 25 (26063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ludo wrote:
Im looking at access right now, had to download the openoffice one though because i wasn't ready to spend $120 on the Microsoft one

Open Office seems OK. If I were starting out, that's probably what I would go with.

r.c

ludo

Jun 7, 2010, 3:58 AM
Post #20 of 25 (26040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hadn't heard of access before and after a few hours playing with it i am in aw! What would take me weeks programming in visual basic i could make in a few days!

Im gona be working on a database for me this week :)

But im still keeping my hard-copies!

(This post was edited by ludo on Jun 7, 2010, 3:59 AM)

guangzhou

Jun 7, 2010, 5:44 AM
Post #21 of 25 (25996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ludo wrote:
I hadn't heard of access before and after a few hours playing with it i am in aw! What would take me weeks programming in visual basic i could make in a few days!

I remember having a log book for a year or so. Something we sold in Outdoor retail stores. I kept details note. Route name, grade, date, location, gear used and partner. I no longer do that.

granite_grrl

Jun 7, 2010, 1:59 PM
Post #22 of 25 (25945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Log book [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been keeping a log book since 2005. The earlier entries have a different format from the current entries. Over the years I have trimmed down info to the things that were important to me: date, area, wall (if applicable), people I was climbing with. The the routes I climbed, maybe the grade (depends how familiar I am with the area), tries on a route, significant redpoints, maybe key beta, etc etc etc.

It's nice to have and to look back on and I'm sure my entries will keep evolving.

Partner robdotcalm

Jun 8, 2010, 2:53 PM
Post #23 of 25 (25869 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ludo wrote:

Here’s a hint. To take advantage of a relational database, e.g., Access, try to enter information only once. For example, have a table for partner’s names. In it, you enter the name of each partner only once. Then in the form for climbing on a given day a partner’s name comes from the table and is not something you type anew each time you climb with that person. Also if that person changes their name, make the change in the name table and it is automatically changed throughout the database. Similarly, there will be tables for areas, crags, names of climbs, etc. This takes a bit more effort getting started but in the long run pays off handsomely.

I haven’t kept any paper notes since 1985. Geez, don’t you young people keep up with the times?

Cheers,
Rob.calm

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook