RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

fiend

Nov 10, 2001, 6:17 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Anyone shooting medium format?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I personally have no experience with medium format cameras but I was recently bouldering with a friend of a friend who had his medium format camera with him.
The shots were amazing but the medium format doesn't seem quite as handy for complicated route shots etc.

Just wondering if anyone else shoots this.

greatgarbanzo

Nov 10, 2001, 7:24 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Anyone shooting medium format? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i shoot all of my pictures with this type of camera... they allways are really good... so i think that this type of camera is great...

saltspringer

Nov 13, 2001, 8:16 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use medium format equipment for portraiture & some of my landscape work but for climbing, 35mm is much more versatile. For the price of one fast medium format lens I was able to get a top of the line Nikkor 20-35mm f 2.8 lens which is perfect for a lot of panoramic climbing shots; for about half that price I was able to buy a 180mm Nikkor f 2.8 telephoto for the close-up action shots in climbing...in medium format? I'd have to start selling dope to afford that habit!

krillen

Nov 15, 2001, 7:37 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Selling dope eh?...hmmmm....I mean....uhhhh....nevermind

can you guys define medium format for us laymen?

marcsv

Nov 16, 2001, 3:12 AM
Post #5 of 6 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i use medium format for work, product shot models. i agree the format is the most recomended if you want to get the details. but wait bringing an expensive camera to a crag. crag photos are left to the 35 mm format because it needs less setup time. basically its a point and shoot equipment (unless you're like me who still preffer a fully manual camera over an automatic).

by the way i only use nikon for my 35mm's (FM2, FM10 and F50) and for my medium format a Rollei 6008 (now you understand why i WILL NOT take this camera to a crag.

wolf2000

Nov 30, 2001, 8:42 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would definatly have to say that your much better of with a good 35mm at the crag and for most sports shots, Like everyone else has said medium format is great for still pictures because of the larger negative but they are to bulky to be efective at the crag, when your at the crag you want to be able to move around and get pictures from many different angles and even from up on the wall, I personally live my Nikon FM10 for taking my pictures at the crag, and it gives me a high enough quality that I have been able to sell some of my pictures as small posters. just use high quality profesional film

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook