Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

patmay81

Jun 24, 2010, 7:58 PM
Post #26 of 58 (2727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RiverRatMatt] Homemade QDs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

RiverRatMatt wrote:
socalclimber wrote:
Actually, I'm going to retract my statement. Since you are clearly new to climbing, you should not be attempting this.

And no, I do not have an entire rack of home made quick draws. I do however have a number of cams that I have had to re-sling this way.

Well, that is true, but I'm not new to tying knots, checking them, and making various gear :p

Any link to where I can buy -just- BD quickdraw slings without the biners? I really can't afford all new QDs.

these are my favorites:
http://www.ems.com/...sp?productId=3656491
these are cheaper (wear out faster in my experience):
http://www.gearexpress.biz/...;Product_Code=42224C

billl7

Jun 24, 2010, 8:06 PM
Post #27 of 58 (2721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Homemade QDs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
billl7 wrote:
(90% strength versus 77% strength in this testing

Please keep in mind that testing included only 3 samples for each knot looked at, so is far from being a definitive source.
Thanks for adding the qualifications of that testing. I know you provided it in the linked thread - prolly should have carried them over to here.

Bill L

jt512

Jun 24, 2010, 8:53 PM
Post #28 of 58 (2703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Homemade QDs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
adatesman wrote:
billl7 wrote:
(90% strength versus 77% strength in this testing

Please keep in mind that testing included only 3 samples for each knot looked at, so is far from being a definitive source.
Thanks for adding the qualifications of that testing. I know you provided it in the linked thread - prolly should have carried them over to here.

Bill L

Although, the difference in strength is large, and even comparing samples of just three, would be statistically significant, depending on the hypothesis being tested.

Jay

RiverRatMatt

Jun 24, 2010, 9:46 PM
Post #29 of 58 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Homemade QDs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Benchmark, Idaho Mountain Touring, and I'm pretty sure REI doesn't have any sewn QDs. Any other Boise stores?

I'll call up that Cali place today

bergbryce

Jun 24, 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #30 of 58 (2674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Homemade QDs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clc wrote:
holy shit man, you probably shouldn't be trusting your life to a knot if your not %100 sure its good. And obviously your not sure because your asking people on the internet. Get advice by local climbers and thy can show you , then they will tell you to buy sewn slings.
x2

I've got a handful of dogbones that have a lot of life left in them I'll sell you for a few bucks each. pm if interested.

(This post was edited by bergbryce on Jun 24, 2010, 10:02 PM)

bergbryce

Jun 28, 2010, 7:57 PM
Post #31 of 58 (2612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bergbryce] Homemade QDs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there is a store here in town that is going out of business and has a bunch of dogbones selling for $1 each + 15% off discount. I'd be happy to grab a bunch of them and send them to you. Cheaper/easier/better than self tied slings no doubt.

vegastradguy

Jun 28, 2010, 8:49 PM
Post #32 of 58 (2590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RiverRatMatt wrote:
Benchmark, Idaho Mountain Touring, and I'm pretty sure REI doesn't have any sewn QDs. Any other Boise stores?

I'll call up that Cali place today

I get all my dogbones @ REI- if they have any climbing gear, chances are good they have some petzl express draws on hand.

they also are available on their website, which you can order from and ship to a store for free for pick up.

RiverRatMatt

Jun 28, 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #33 of 58 (2562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bergbryce wrote:
there is a store here in town that is going out of business and has a bunch of dogbones selling for $1 each + 15% off discount. I'd be happy to grab a bunch of them and send them to you. Cheaper/easier/better than self tied slings no doubt.

If it's not too late, go for it and send me the bill :)

bergbryce

Jun 28, 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #34 of 58 (2558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how many do you want? 10?

Factor2

Jun 28, 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #35 of 58 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Homemade QDs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
RiverRatMatt wrote:
I've recently started climbing outside, and from what I've understood from The Freedom of the Hills is it is acceptable to make your own quickdraws from tied webbing and biners.

I've been using the 5 that I've made so far, aside from the downsides of not having the biners in a fixed location and orientation, is there any negative to making and using your own QDs? (the location/orientation issues can be solved with rubber bands..)

Pic of an example of mine:

[img]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/Andrelommech/HomeMadeQD.jpg[/img]
Do NOT do this. Someone just died using this same technique. See http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Do NOT climb. People have died doing this.

kjaking

Jun 29, 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #36 of 58 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Factor2] Homemade QDs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Factor2 wrote:

People die climbing, and yet we keep going upward. Gomers have found every possible way to screw up, but this particular discussion surrounds a technique that has been used since webbing was first avalible. If we aren't allowed to tie our own runners, then why do they sell the webbing? Its fine, I don't understand what has people all worked up when somebody doesn't feel like spending a ton of money.

That said, dogbones for $1! Why wouldn't you? Practically the same price as webing.

jt512

Jun 29, 2010, 12:23 AM
Post #37 of 58 (2528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kjaking] Homemade QDs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kjaking wrote:
Factor2 wrote:

People die climbing, and yet we keep going upward. Gomers have found every possible way to screw up, but this particular discussion surrounds a technique that has been used since webbing was first avalible. If we aren't allowed to tie our own runners, then why do they sell the webbing? Its fine, I don't understand what has people all worked up when somebody doesn't feel like spending a ton of money.

That said, dogbones for $1! Why wouldn't you? Practically the same price as webing.

Rather than write two paragraphs that cancel each other out, it would be simpler to write nothing.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jun 29, 2010, 12:25 AM)

kjaking

Jun 29, 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #38 of 58 (2522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
kjaking wrote:
Factor2 wrote:

Next time you have nothing to say, rather than write two paragraphs that cancel each other out, just write nothing.

Jay

Fine, its safe to use this technique, but manufactured draws are more convenient, and typically more expensive. Thats what I was saying. More direct for you? Or do I need to use even less syllables?

redlude97

Jun 29, 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #39 of 58 (2516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kjaking wrote:
Factor2 wrote:

Do you even know what I was talking about or look at the link?

kjaking

Jun 29, 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #40 of 58 (2514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
kjaking wrote:
Factor2 wrote:

Yeah, you are talking about using rubber bands on homemade QD's, which the OP never mentioned doing - his method is safe.

redlude97

Jun 29, 2010, 1:02 AM
Post #41 of 58 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kjaking wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
kjaking wrote:
Factor2 wrote:

Yeah, you are talking about using rubber bands on homemade QD's, which the OP never mentioned doing - his method is safe.
Are you effing kidding me?
redlude97 wrote:
RiverRatMatt wrote:
I've recently started climbing outside, and from what I've understood from The Freedom of the Hills is it is acceptable to make your own quickdraws from tied webbing and biners.

I've been using the 5 that I've made so far, aside from the downsides of not having the biners in a fixed location and orientation, is there any negative to making and using your own QDs? (the location/orientation issues can be solved with rubber bands..)

Pic of an example of mine:

[img]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/Andrelommech/HomeMadeQD.jpg[/img]
Do NOT do this. Someone just died using this same technique. See http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

jt512

Jun 29, 2010, 1:07 AM
Post #42 of 58 (2505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kjaking wrote:
jt512 wrote:
kjaking wrote:
Factor2 wrote:

Next time you have nothing to say, rather than write two paragraphs that cancel each other out, just write nothing.

Jay

Fine, its safe to use this technique, but manufactured draws are more convenient, and typically more expensive. Thats what I was saying. More direct for you? Or do I need to use even less syllables?

Except that you said that the cost was about the same. Nice try. Next time, try zero syllables. "Better to remain silent than to remove all doubt." I'm sure you've been told that before.

jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jun 29, 2010, 1:08 AM)

acorneau

Jun 29, 2010, 1:25 AM
Post #43 of 58 (2495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Except that you said that the cost was about the same. Nice try. Next time, try zero syllables. "Better to remain silent than to remove all doubt." I'm sure you've been told that before.

jay

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
-Abraham Lincoln

Factor2

Jun 29, 2010, 2:30 AM
Post #44 of 58 (2478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All this over a fun jab at redludes silly post.... Laugh

RiverRatMatt

Jun 29, 2010, 4:22 AM
Post #45 of 58 (2451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bergbryce wrote:
how many do you want? 10?

10 would be perfect

redlude97

Jun 29, 2010, 4:41 AM
Post #46 of 58 (2447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Factor2 wrote:
You think it is silly to warn people about the dangers of using rubber bands on slings to hold the biner in place after someone just died from doing it?

kjaking

Jun 29, 2010, 6:25 PM
Post #47 of 58 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
kjaking wrote:
jt512 wrote:
kjaking wrote:
Factor2 wrote:

Jay

jay

You can't normally get that good a price, but if you can...

Factor2

Jun 29, 2010, 8:45 PM
Post #48 of 58 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
Factor2 wrote:
You think it is silly to warn people about the dangers of using rubber bands on slings to hold the biner in place after someone just died from doing it?

No, I think it's silly to use the fact that somebody died because of it as justification. If you want to say don't do something because somebody died doing that thing, then you can feel free to say that, but it's stupid. Think of something, somebody has died doing it. Ergo, don't do anything.

RiverRatMatt

Jun 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #49 of 58 (2388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Factor2 wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
Factor2 wrote:

No, I think it's silly to use the fact that somebody died because of it as justification. If you want to say don't do something because somebody died doing that thing, then you can feel free to say that, but it's stupid. Think of something, somebody has died doing it. Ergo, don't do anything.

As the person the advice was directed at, I appreciate the warning and it is always good to know to look out for and learn from the fatal errors others have made.

redlude97

Jun 29, 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #50 of 58 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Factor2 wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
Factor2 wrote:

Except that wasn't the only thing I said, I linked to the thread that went into a thorough discussion of the dangers involved in using this technique, such that it should never be used on open slings. Just because i didn't rehash all the details doesn't mean your statement was analogous to mine.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook