Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Advice for near Denver?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

John82

Jul 20, 2010, 2:41 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2958 views)
Shortcut

Advice for near Denver?  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: North_Central_Range)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone,

I have a slightly complex request, which makes it hard to just search the database to find somewhere to climb. I'm hoping a local to the Denver area will be able to offer some assistance.

I'm looking for a place to go sport climbing near Denver, routes in the 5.9 to 5.11 range, with two additional requirements. One person in my group has Crohn's disease so we want to be somewhere with restrooms nearby (say, within a half-mile). Also, we have a few non-climbers who plan to spend the day fishing while we climb, so ideally there would be somewhere within a few miles to fish.

Does anyone know of a place near Denver that would make everyone in my group happy? Many thanks if you can point me in the right direction!

-John

villageidiot

Jul 20, 2010, 3:33 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [John82] Advice for near Denver? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rifle is the best in regards to the bathrooms. I am not sure if it meets the other requirements very well.

John82

Jul 20, 2010, 5:10 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [villageidiot] Advice for near Denver? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice village. I'm checking it out now. Looks like it's about 4 hour drive from Denver. I'll talk it over with the crew and see what they think. That might be too far - anyone know of any places closer to Denver?

djlachelt

Jul 20, 2010, 5:23 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Jurassic Park, outside of Estes Park.
http://mountainproject.com/...ributaries/105744337

The parking lot for Lily Lake is part of Rocky Mountain National Park and has bathrooms (w/o running water). It is a 20min hike up to JP, and probably 15 back down to the bathroom.

There is a reasonable variety of climbing available, but only a couple at the 5.11 level. It's all sport climbing. And you can TR the 11s and a 12a if you want to.

You walk right past Lily Lake where lots of people fish. You could easily meet up for lunch. And the climbing area is very interesting for non-climbers... lots of places to scramble around and explore... they might not even want to fish.

It is also quite beautiful and quiet. You can see the Diamond on Longs Peak from many of the climbs.

Good luck

climbingaggie03

Jul 20, 2010, 6:08 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about clear creek canyon, the first crag, closest to golden has some pretty good routes, and the river runs through there. I think there's a toilet at the trailhead, but how about taking a couple of wag bags just in case?

Also, I don't know how long the approach to golden cliffs is, but it might work to climb there as well.

John82

Jul 21, 2010, 4:15 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] Advice for near Denver? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you so much! A quick 5 minute overview of Jurassic Park / Estes Park looks like it will work great (and looks to be a beautiful area).

I'm also checking out clear creek canyon now, it looks like it has potential too.

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate the advice. You guys rock!

djlachelt

Jul 22, 2010, 3:26 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a google map link to JP:
http://maps.google.com/...25,0.013604&z=16

Zoom in and check out the info in the red push pins for hints about leaving the path around the lake to take the social trail up to the climbing area.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook