Some combination of your own gear and the gym's gear. 52 / 66%
79 total votes

joshy8200

Jul 28, 2010, 3:15 AM
Post #1 of 36 (3307 views)
Shortcut

Your gym's lead climbing policy?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just wondering what the majority (if there is one) of gyms do. If you climb at more than one gym and there are different policies, you can choose multiple answers.

cruxstacean

Jul 28, 2010, 3:32 AM
Post #2 of 36 (3287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joshy8200] Your gym's lead climbing policy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fixed draws, can rent/beg/barrow rope I think if needed.... is not having fixed draws common? never seen that....

(This post was edited by cruxstacean on Jul 28, 2010, 3:32 AM)

styndall

Jul 28, 2010, 3:50 AM
Post #3 of 36 (3277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never seen a gym without fixed draws either. Stone Summit, in Atlanta, permits you to use your own rope or to check one out from them to climb with.

climbingaggie03

Jul 28, 2010, 3:59 AM
Post #4 of 36 (3271 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Most of the places I've climbed make you use their fixed draws and their lead rope. Only one gym that i've climbed at, Hanger 18 in so-cal, let you use your own rope on their draws.

Seems to me that the more control the gym has over what is used in their gym, the less liability they expose themselves to. ie, they know where their rope has been and they don't know if your rope has been sitting in a bucket of cat pee and battery acid, although if your rope breaks, it might be hard to argue it's the gyms fault... who knows.

dagibbs

Jul 28, 2010, 4:05 AM
Post #5 of 36 (3261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My local gym has fixed draws, but expects you to bring your own rope. I've been to gyms that supply a rope, too.

cruxstacean

Jul 28, 2010, 5:44 AM
Post #6 of 36 (3223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Your gym's lead climbing policy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
although if your rope breaks, it might be hard to argue it's the gyms fault... who knows.

A lead rope breaking seems like a very, very remote possibility...

though making people use gym ropes could eliminate slippery <9.5mm ropes, reducing grigri accidents.

vegastradguy

Jul 28, 2010, 5:49 AM
Post #7 of 36 (3215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cruxstacean] Your gym's lead climbing policy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont think i know of any gym in the US that would require you to use your own draws. seems like the liability on that may be a bit high for such a low cost item.

ropes seem to be a mixed bag. the gyms ive been to that allow you to use your own rope seem to be the ones with enough lead traffic that they cannot afford the rope bill to supply ropes. the only exception to this rule is r2c2 here in vegas- its a lead only gym and they supply the lines- but i guess thats what they feel comfortable doing.

it really comes down to what the gym feels comfortable with from a perceived liability stand-point.

climbingaggie03

Jul 28, 2010, 5:53 AM
Post #8 of 36 (3214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cruxstacean] Your gym's lead climbing policy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cruxstacean wrote:
In reply to:
although if your rope breaks, it might be hard to argue it's the gyms fault... who knows.

A lead rope breaking seems like a very, very remote possibility...

though making people use gym ropes could eliminate slippery <9.5mm ropes, reducing grigri accidents.

I don't disagree with you that it's a remote possibility, however, I do remember an accident a year or two ago in a gym that a lead rope broke. If I recall it was either a small fall, it wasn't the ropes fault entirely, seems like the rope got caught on the gate of the biner or some strange rough surface and cut the rope.

and you're right, I think the more control the gym has over the things in the system, the lower their insurance premiums will be because they can have safe guards against all sorts of accidents, like getting dropped by gri-gri's and all the other things that can go wrong in the gym.

kriso9tails

Jul 28, 2010, 6:10 AM
Post #9 of 36 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't climb at the gyms here, but the gym I used to climb at was a mix. There were fixed draws on the lead-only routes, fixed draws at the anchors, but you had to place your own draws for the remainder. The gym didn't provide a rope, but it was usually pretty easy to borrow one if people knew your face there. You could borrow a grigri from the gym, but most people didn't.

charliesmall

Jul 28, 2010, 8:17 AM
Post #10 of 36 (3164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Over here in the UK I only know of one wall that lets people borrow lead ropes, and people tend to think this practice is a bit dodgy. I'd have thought that the wall were increasing their liability by letting people use the wall's lead ropes.
With regards to quickdraws, most walls have them fixed in place so you use them. One wall I know of makes you bring your own and another has an outside wall where you have to bring your own.

psecody

Jul 28, 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #11 of 36 (3135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charliesmall] Your gym's lead climbing policy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the gyms I climb at you have to use their draws but can either use their rope or your own, though it's simpler to use their rope so you only have like 15m to deal with as opposed to 60m. At one of the gyms you have to bring your own belay device to lead.

gblauer

Jul 28, 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #12 of 36 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [psecody] Your gym's lead climbing policy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Our gym has fixed draws, you have to use your own rope.

Dip

Jul 28, 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #13 of 36 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [psecody] Your gym's lead climbing policy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I voted for the second one, although i'm not sure must is the right word. They don't have fixed draws though. If you want to lead you check out the rope and draws from behind the counter. I don't think they'd mind if you brought your own, but i don't know why you would, since they're willing to let you put the wear and tear on their gear.

ajkclay

Jul 28, 2010, 1:20 PM
Post #14 of 36 (3064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some routes have fixed 'draws, others just bolt plates, you use your own rope.

I think it's a good system.

Vertical Reality Gym Adelaide South Australia.

Cheers

Adam

edit to add: You also provide your own belay device.

(This post was edited by ajkclay on Jul 28, 2010, 1:21 PM)

ClimbClimb

Jul 28, 2010, 1:28 PM
Post #15 of 36 (3052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the two local gyms here, it's their own fixed draws.

At one of them, they will lend ropes, although I don't know if it's official policy one way or the other. At the other, you bring your own rope and they won't lend you one.

bigjonnyc

Jul 28, 2010, 1:42 PM
Post #16 of 36 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbClimb] Your gym's lead climbing policy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We've got fixed draws for most of the lead routes in our gym. There is a section of Nicros A.R.T. wall, that only has hangers. If you want to lead it, I think they've got draws to lend, or they'll let you use your own. Not the most controlled environment I've seen. As for ropes, I bring my own, and I don't think they've got one to rent/lend.

kickasssoprano

Jul 28, 2010, 2:24 PM
Post #17 of 36 (3017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigjonnyc] Your gym's lead climbing policy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In my gym, you must provide your own rope (or climb on a friend's) but draws are fixed to the wall. You must also have your own belay device (most Ontario gyms require the use of gri gri's. There is a policy that you must provide your own rope and gri gri in order to take the lead class and test as well.

johnwesely

Jul 28, 2010, 3:47 PM
Post #18 of 36 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

At my gym, you use their rope and their draws. I am sure they would let you use your own line, but I would rather save the abuse.

tedman

Jul 28, 2010, 4:16 PM
Post #19 of 36 (2923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Your gym's lead climbing policy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fixed draws, their rope free to use, or you can bring your own in if you really want. Who doesn't have their own belay device if they are leading with any kind of regularity?

redlude97

Jul 28, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #20 of 36 (2877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] Your gym's lead climbing policy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What kind of gym do you not need to bring your own belay device for any type of climbing? Oh yea, the ones that stick grigris on all the TRs for the noobs

matterunomama

Jul 28, 2010, 5:31 PM
Post #21 of 36 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Draws are fixed. You can rent a rope for $2, use your own, or buy one cut to a gym length and they will keep it for you to use when you come in, hung next to the front desk. Most people use the last option.

viciado

Jul 28, 2010, 5:44 PM
Post #22 of 36 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fixed draws on every line. Pull the top rope, use your own lead line and put the top rope back properly when finished.

caughtinside

Jul 28, 2010, 5:49 PM
Post #23 of 36 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hanging your own draws at the gym would suck. Just think about the waste of time and cluster from cleaning.

ClimbSoHigh

Jul 28, 2010, 7:22 PM
Post #24 of 36 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have worked at 4 different gyms, 3 in ct and 1 in NY, and have climbed at many more on the east coast. From my experience most gyms arround here have fixed draws on the lead walls and have you use thier rope. O
In reply to:
ne of the gyms kept close track to the number of whippers taken and retires them as needed. No gym requires you to hang your own draws, probably because it would make cleaning a bitch. One gym, has a lead wall that has top ropes hung on each route through quick clips. If you want to lead, you just pull the TR. I think this is the worst of the set ups I have seen since there is no monitoring of whippers, and more importantly, you have ropes falling from the top that can (and has) hit neighboring belayers.

I would also think that the liability would not be much different if someone got hurt using their own gear rather than gym provided. The fact of the matter was that you got hurt on the gyms premises doing something the gym has santioned as acceptable. The liability waivers are quickly thrown out too in the event of a serious injury since there are medical bills that need to be paid. From the gyms point of view, it would be best to provide the ropes and gear, since the biggest issue would be poeple using thin ropes with gri gri's. (If a rope breaks in a gym setting, something the gym did is probably negligent i.e. random sharp peices of metal sticking from the wall/draw).

Personally I would rather use my own rope, draws, and belay device since I inspect them regularly, and know their history, the feel/friction, and don't mind putting miles on my own gear. This is also why I do not let people borrow my gear.

The one thing I do find shocking at most gyms is how casual they are about certifying the belayer. I would rather climb on 30 year old button heads with a hemp rope and a solid belayer, than brand new modern gear and a noob belayer. the condition of your gear means nothing compared to the condition of your belay. (slightly sarcastic about the hemp rope and button heads, but you get idea, a good belay is way more important that how old/used the draws/rope is. Gear rarely fails, belayers fail too frequently.)

taydude

Jul 28, 2010, 8:06 PM
Post #25 of 36 (2762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My home gym has one lead wall and has a weird setup. It's a 20ft high gym. The lead wall goes up 20ft then goes straight horizontal for ~20ft. The horizontal portion has fixed draws but the vertical portion requires 3 of your own draws. You have to climb the top rope there afterwards to collect your draws.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook