RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

tom_Harding

Jul 28, 2010, 9:03 AM
Post #1 of 6 (11735 views)
Shortcut

New Wild Country Helium Friends
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you guys havent seen them already here are the new WC Friends. There going to do well.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=150835

psecody

Jul 28, 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #2 of 6 (11689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tom_Harding] New Wild Country Helium Friends [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the handle looks exactly like a c4... I don't know about the top though, it looks kinda cheap to me.

tom_Harding

Jul 28, 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #3 of 6 (11680 views)
Shortcut

Re: [psecody] New Wild Country Helium Friends [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

20% more camming angle by moving the trigger wires and increasing the range of the cam surface but only 6% lighter.... Are there any reason to not still buy C4's?

tom_Harding

Jul 28, 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #4 of 6 (11677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are the spec sheets...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=150863

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=150862

moose_droppings

Jul 28, 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #5 of 6 (11651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tom_Harding wrote:
If you guys havent seen them already here are the new WC Friends. There going to do well.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/...bpage.html?id=150835

Now clickably delicious.

And again.

tom_Harding

Jul 28, 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #6 of 6 (11650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some details from Richie Patterson at wild country

Thanks for all the interest in the Helium Friends - yes they are amazing and very cool - but because they are not available until next spring (probably Feb/ March) i do not want to go into too much detail as it would spoil the surprise and we are not revealing prices yet but they will be very competetive.

However, i think it's important to clarify a few points that have been raised:
1. The cam angle remains at the definitive 13.75 degree constant cam angle that Wild Country pioneered which we feel gives the optimum blend of range and holding power. However, i am not going to say how we have increased the range as is stated on the picture Mick has posted - this will be revealed later on - but save to say part of this was to slightly alter the size of each Friend. Importantly this also means there are less sizes (9 not 11) which cover better the same range as before - and overlap better too...

2. Weight - overall the new range is lighter (new 9 v old 9) but a couple of the smaller sizes have gained a few grams - we felt that this is a small prices to pay for the superb new thumb loop, extended reach and easier placement.

3. Slings / extending - the new Friend does have a thumb loop as well as a sling therefore there are two options for clipping: short or long.
Short would be about 5cm less than the current sling length. And we are pretty convinced that if you clip 'long' on the dyneema about 12cm longer than the current sling) then 90% of the time there will be no need for an extender.
And with dyneema loop in this way we can make 14kN across the range which alongside the Dragons makes them the strongest units on the market - especially in the smallest sizes - compare 14kN on our 0 and 0.5 with say Metolius or BD in the same sizes.
If we have an extendable loop the strength would go down and the loading is different.

Like i say the Helium Friends are not available until spring 2011 and there will be loads more info available before then...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook