Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

MohonkNeighborsassoc.

Aug 5, 2010, 8:41 PM
Post #76 of 194 (9811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photoguy190] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey photoguy190,

The preserve has been the Plaintiff in every case against it's neighbors. I had hoped that the above articles would be interesting from a historical standpoint. As I stated before as we get more docs and decisions we will post them here and on our Facebook page which is in the works. You are right to want to see both sides as that's the only way to see the whole story. Thanks for your interest.

The Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association

curt

Aug 5, 2010, 8:41 PM
Post #77 of 194 (9810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MohonkNeighborsassoc.] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

MohonkNeighborsassoc. wrote:
I think we can all agree that the Mt house is a nice building. However it's carved into the side of the mountain and as such negates the preservationist legacy of AK smiley. But, to be honest it's their land and they can do what they want but don't call yourself a preservationist and a "save the ridger" while your building hotels, spas, 2 visitor centers, golf courses, the 12 or so houses next to the mt house, a fire company, getting paid $25,000 by the city of ny to drill a tunnel through your lands, clear cut the mountain etc, etc etc... Yeah the mountain house is from 1870's and the golf course is from 1880's and the aqueduct is from 1907 and the visitor center is 1970's and the new vc and spa is from a few years back but it keeps growing and thats development, not preservation...

You should really consider that old adage of remaining silent and thought a fool instead of speaking and removing all doubt. You do realize that the Smiley brothers didn't build the original hotel on that site--right? Additionally, it is patently absurd to opine that the small amount of "development" done by the Mohonk Mountain House is not offset many times over by the preservation of thousands of acres of land along the ridge--and the creation of the Mohonk Trust, now the Preserve.

Curt

jakedatc

Aug 5, 2010, 8:45 PM
Post #78 of 194 (9797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey photoguy190,

The preserve has been the Plaintiff in every case against it's neighbors. I had hoped that the above articles would be interesting from a historical standpoint. As I stated before as we get more docs and decisions we will post them here and on our Facebook page which is in the works. You are right to want to see both sides as that's the only way to see the whole story. Thanks for your interest.

OOOO A FACEBOOK PAGE OMG R U SRS!! I can't 2 B friendz! i'll like totally *like* your status if you *like* my status. R U on Myspace 2!?

psst not really helping prove that you're a real group since they would actually get a professional website.

boymeetsrock

Aug 5, 2010, 8:46 PM
Post #79 of 194 (9792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
boymeetsrock wrote:
It is certainly possible that this is not Kent. Based on the facts that he has barely refuted that he is Kent, he has the same posting style, has shot his cause in the foot in the same fashion, and is barking up the same tree (albeit from a different angle), I feel safe in my assumption.

Seems he realized his last line of "reasoning" did not take, so he has regrouped and is trying a different angle.

I don't think it is kent.. kent posted up on Gunks.com and has said it was not him. Kent at least has the balls to put his name behind what he says. I think his tactics are stupid and self defeating but i'll at least respect that he doesn't hide behind a fake entity

Fair enough. I still have my doubts.

photoguy190

Aug 5, 2010, 8:53 PM
Post #80 of 194 (9782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey photoguy190,

Being the Plaintiff means nothing it terms of using strong armed tactics. Many rightful owners sue to get those with illegitimate claims off their property. Your articles don't say why anyone is being sued just that there is question in deeds. I'm asking that you post up why the persevere is suing their neighboring land owners.

Others have asked your name, I ask are you being sued? Or do you have property that is adjacent to the preserve?

johnwesely

Aug 5, 2010, 8:53 PM
Post #81 of 194 (9781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think we can all agree that the Mt house is a nice building. However it's carved into the side of the mountain and as such negates the preservationist legacy of AK smiley. But, to be honest it's their land and they can do what they want but don't call yourself a preservationist and a "save the ridger" while your building hotels, spas, 2 visitor centers, golf courses, the 12 or so houses next to the mt house, a fire company, getting paid $25,000 by the city of ny to drill a tunnel through your lands, clear cut the mountain etc, etc etc...

Of man, you just totally called out my hypocrisy. Why do I have the right to try and preserve the Gunks when I built the Mountain House and golf courses.

On a serious note, it is not like the Mountain House and climbers are friends or anything. I am not really sure what you are getting at.

curt

Aug 5, 2010, 8:56 PM
Post #82 of 194 (9773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey photoguy190,

The preserve has been the Plaintiff in every case against it's neighbors...

That's not even true in the three articles you have posted here. Do you think that purposeful misrepresentation will enhance your chances for greater support?

Curt

bill413

Aug 5, 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #83 of 194 (9716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

]I think we can all agree that the Mt house is a nice building.

Please reconcile this with "eyesore" several posts back.

In reply to:
But, to be honest it's their land and they can do what they want
Within zoning (determined by a government in which local residents have a great deal of say), tax laws, and conservation easements.

In reply to:
clear cut the mountain etc, etc etc...

This may be historical ignorance on my part, but when did the Mohonk Preserve (or was it the Mountain House) clear cut an area? I know that there used to be a lot of bark removal for the tanning industry, but my impression is that ended by the early 1800's.

Gmburns2000

Aug 5, 2010, 11:28 PM
Post #84 of 194 (9706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Jakedatc,

Did you read the three articles we posted? Tell me what you think ok. Thanks

answer his fucking question. if you're a real organization then you'll have names that can be put out there publicly. he's not asking for home addresses, e-mails, SSN, phone numbers, or the VIN off your car; he's asking who the members are of this organization who is asking for the climbing community's support (and yes, asking us to not support the MP is asking support).

as it stands right now, wow, the owners really do not seem to have their act together. sorry to say that, but wow, this is the second time the owners have looked like utter shit.

of course, to be fair, this could be anyone.

jsh

Aug 6, 2010, 2:25 PM
Post #85 of 194 (9633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Post the names of your President, vice president, Mailing address and phone number where your 'association" can be reached.

Evasion of a simple, direct question is one of Kent's hallmarks: he will 'reply' so you can't accuse him of ignoring you, but that 'reply' meanders off into whatever direction he feels like prattling on about.

That, combined with the auto-reply, and the escalation of outrage for not following his direction, the elision into property values/taxes, the flips between uber-friendly and hostile: clearly Kent. Don't be fooled by his denial - that's kindergarten stuff.

I asked a similar, simple direct question early on in the Gunks version of this. The 'moderation' there is ill-advised, so I will ask it again here: how many members does your group claim? (hint: the answer should be an integer). How many climbers support you, as you suggest there are so many above? (again, an integer will suffice).

Further along the lines of legitimacy: are you licensed to provide the services you claim? (hint: yes, or no). Or are they just hooks with bait on them?

Coppertone asked: does your request to stop 'donating' cover day and yearly passes, or just donations? The actions you request of climbers negatively impact the local economy (and thus property values); how do you reconcile that with your aim?

Last, in the previous iteration of your lunacy, you baited? bribed? hijacked? climbers to join your revolution against zoning laws in Gardiner (to protect your imaginary profit); the end result was that climbers are now banned from 50' of the Nears. Why or how do you expect climbers to back you now?

Looking forward to more non-answers,
Julie

(This post was edited by jsh on Aug 6, 2010, 2:49 PM)

jimlawyer

Aug 6, 2010, 2:49 PM
Post #86 of 194 (9610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsh] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have another question to add to Julie's list:

The Mohonk Preserve and the Mohonk Mountain House are clearly two different entities. (One is a for-profit hotel corporation that doesn't allow climbing, the other is a non-profit land trust that welcomes climbing.) However, you have confused the issue by siting ridgeline blemishes and continued development by the hotel to support your call-to-action against the Preserve.

If you group the evils of the hotel with the evils of the Preserve, why doesn't your call-to-action include a boycott on the hotel?

If the hotel is not among your axis of evil, then I should point out that they are a neighbor of the Preserve, and since you represent "neighbors", do you also represent the hotel? Probably not.

So, which neighbors *specifically* do you represent? Certainly not all of them. And why do you obfuscate the issue by including the hotel in the mix?

jakedatc

Aug 6, 2010, 3:11 PM
Post #87 of 194 (9590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jsh wrote:
jakedatc wrote:
Post the names of your President, vice president, Mailing address and phone number where your 'association" can be reached.

Evasion of a simple, direct question is one of Kent's hallmarks: he will 'reply' so you can't accuse him of ignoring you, but that 'reply' meanders off into whatever direction he feels like prattling on about.

That, combined with the auto-reply, and the escalation of outrage for not following his direction, the elision into property values/taxes, the flips between uber-friendly and hostile: clearly Kent. Don't be fooled by his denial - that's kindergarten stuff.

I asked a similar, simple direct question early on in the Gunks version of this. The 'moderation' there is ill-advised, so I will ask it again here: how many members does your group claim? (hint: the answer should be an integer). How many climbers support you, as you suggest there are so many above? (again, an integer will suffice).

Further along the lines of legitimacy: are you licensed to provide the services you claim? (hint: yes, or no). Or are they just hooks with bait on them?

Coppertone asked: does your request to stop 'donating' cover day and yearly passes, or just donations? The actions you request of climbers negatively impact the local economy (and thus property values); how do you reconcile that with your aim?

Last, in the previous iteration of your lunacy, you baited? bribed? hijacked? climbers to join your revolution against zoning laws in Gardiner (to protect your imaginary profit); the end result was that climbers are now banned from 50' of the Nears. Why or how do you expect climbers to back you now?

Looking forward to more non-answers,
Julie

woo even Julie and I agree on this!

i see this getting deleted soon enough.

sethg

Aug 6, 2010, 3:28 PM
Post #88 of 194 (9576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I posted early on in the Gunks.com thread that I assumed the "Association" was actually Kent. He denied it both publicly and in pms to me.

But the Kentian hallmarks of these posts, as Julie points out above, are really hard to deny. So I'm assuming Kent is the puppetmaster in all this, even if nominally he has some colorable argument that another person or entity is the one doing the posting. I could be wrong but the person behind the posts clearly has no intention of identifying him- or herself.

Really I don't give a shit who this organization actually is, but I find the issue very entertaining. The self-destructiveness of it all is amazing. Isn't it obvious that this whole attempt to hide the true identity of the poster has brought discredit on the whole crusade? Wouldn't it be much more effective to just say "My name is X. I own property next to the Mohonk Preserve and they really did me wrong? Here's why..."

MPNA, whoever you are, can't you see how counter-productive your whole way of going about this posting has been? It's nearly on a par with trying to gain sympathy from climbers by closing 10 feet of the Nears and forcing them to walk 45 minutes out of their way.

Also, saying we shouldn't give money to the MP, then when questioned about it claiming you aren't asking us to do anything.... that was another master stroke. Keep up the good work.

Partner rgold

Aug 6, 2010, 4:28 PM
Post #89 of 194 (9541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been trying to stay out of this massive troll. But finally some of the chum got me.

AG wrote:
The preserve has been the Plaintiff in every case against it's neighbors.

This is false. In at least one relatively recent case, a neighbor either won or settled an adverse possession suit against the Preserve for 150 acres, whereas the Preserve has never brought an adverse possession suit against anyone (the claims to the contrary apparently referring to the actions of the Shawangunk Conservancy a decade ago).

2. I personally don't see eye-to-eye with Kent about the Gardiner zoning situation, but I believe him to be a man of integrity. He says MPNA, which for all anyone knows is a single individual and not an organization at all, isn't him. We should all believe it.

3. The MPNA troll seems to me to be founded on a fundamental contradiction:

First come references to adverse court rulings as evidence of the Preserve's misdeeds. Such references are only of value if one believes the courts are capable of discerning the truth, so it seems that assumption is a given in this situation.

Next, we are asked to withhold support for the Preserve if it wins certain unspecified cases. But if the truth, as established by the court, is that the Preserve legally owns the land in question and the "neighbors" do not, then the Preserve's actions seem to be justified and the neighbors illegal claims to the land become the proper subject for condemnation.

You can't rely on court judgments against the Preserve (actually, not against the Preserve) as grounds for condemnation and then go on to ask for more condemnation from rulings supporting the Preserve.

glytch

Aug 6, 2010, 4:38 PM
Post #90 of 194 (9533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As I read through this thread, my reaction upon reading every third response MPNA is, roughly,

"aw shit mpna, u got PWND"

Unfortunately, there's pretty much no chance that this situation ends with anything resembling a cogent response or direct argument (reasonable or unreasonable) from MPNA.

glytch

Aug 6, 2010, 4:53 PM
Post #91 of 194 (9522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [glytch] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just considered the distinct possibility that the MPNA is an impressively well-planned troll. A mite far-fetched, but not completely out of the question. If someone wanted to stir the pot and reduce Kent's support even further (if that's even possible), this MPNA set of postings would be (and has been) a very effective approach to take.

Probably not what's going on here, but there's a chance that someone's sitting at home giggling about all of the folks they've riled up on climbing message boards.

onyerbike

Aug 6, 2010, 5:04 PM
Post #92 of 194 (9517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sent AG a PM with similar intent, though it was less eloquently stated. We'll see if any of this draws a response.

rgold wrote:

<snip>

Next, we are asked to withhold support for the Preserve if it wins certain unspecified cases. But if the truth, as established by the court, is that the Preserve legally owns the land in question and the "neighbors" do not, then the Preserve's actions seem to be justified and the neighbors illegal claims to the land become the proper subject for condemnation.

You can't rely on court judgments against the Preserve (actually, not against the Preserve) as grounds for condemnation and then go on to ask for more condemnation from rulings supporting the Preserve.

Partner cracklover

Aug 6, 2010, 6:46 PM
Post #93 of 194 (9667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:

First come references to adverse court rulings as evidence of the Preserve's misdeeds. Such references are only of value if one believes the courts are capable of discerning the truth, so it seems that assumption is a given in this situation.

The MPNA troll didn't specify, but I inferred a different meaning than you, Rich.

I thought MPNA was saying that if the ruling is *against* the Preserve, that would show that they are continuing to attempt to steal land from their neighbors, and the courts are slapping their hand.

GO

marc801

Aug 6, 2010, 6:54 PM
Post #94 of 194 (9657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I thought MPNA was saying that if the ruling is *against* the Preserve, that would show that they are continuing to attempt to steal land from their neighbors, and the courts are slapping their hand.
It actually doesn't matter - it's fairly clever positioning by MPNA.

In the current case, MP is the plaintiff (the one doing the suing) in an evil, fraudulent land grab attempt. So if the court rules against the MP, then we should stop supporting them as they've been shown as evil.

If the court rules in favor of the MP, then MPNA can say, see, they're continuing their pattern of legal abuse against their neighbors, and that's evil, so we should stop supporting them.

curt

Aug 6, 2010, 7:15 PM
Post #95 of 194 (9614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
...In the current case, MP is the plaintiff (the one doing the suing) in an evil, fraudulent land grab attempt. So if the court rules against the MP, then we should stop supporting them as they've been shown as evil.

If the court rules in favor of the MP, then MPNA can say, see, they're continuing their pattern of legal abuse against their neighbors, and that's evil, so we should stop supporting them...

My biggest problem I have here (and I have several) is that there is currently no reason to believe that the Mohonk Preserve is, in fact, a plaintiff in any lawsuit against any landowner.

Curt

Partner rgold

Aug 7, 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #96 of 194 (9697 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

Oopsie---Gabe is right. Cancel my third point.

Partner philbox

Aug 8, 2010, 10:40 PM
Post #97 of 194 (9343 views)
Shortcut

Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've recycled the rest of this thread because the thread went so far off topic. Feel free to start another thread in the Suggestions forum if you wish to discuss.

There are a couple of late on topic replies which I will reproduce through the quote function.

curt wrote:
If you go to this website:

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/FCASSearch

you can search for lawsuits filed in all Counties of the State of New York. If you go to "party search" and enter "Mohonk Preserve" as the plaintiff, exactly one current case appears:

Court: Ulster Civil Supreme
Index Number: 002747/2009
Upstate Index Number: 09-2747
Case Name: MOHONK PRESERVE, INC. vs. ULLRICH, CHRISTOPHER E., SARAH C.EMOND,
Case Type: Other Real Property
Track: Standard
RJI Filed: 08/31/2009
Upstate RJI Number: 55-09-01628
Date NOI Due:
NOI Filed: 03/02/2010
Disposition Deadline: 06/03/2011
Disposition Date:
Calendar Number: 55-09-01628
Jury Status: Non-Jury
Justice Name: HON. MARY M. WORK

I think it would be interesting to get more information about this particular lawsuit. Perhaps MPNA or Kent can bring us up to speed?

Curt

CapedCrusader wrote:
That's one Curt, but there is one other. The one you cited goes to trial sometime this fall. The trial for the other case is already over and a decision is pending.

I know little about either case and so cannot responsibly comment until decisions are issued.

Carry on. Note also that part of the reason for the recycle is to preserve the on topic content of this thread for future reference as referred to in a few of the posts within this thread.

chadnsc

Aug 9, 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #98 of 194 (9770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually chadnsc what I said was please look at the information presented here, become familiar with it if you want, we will post outcomes of current lawsuits where the Mohonk Preserve is suing their neighbors, and in general just be an informed consumer. If you want to donate to them after reading the outcome of the lawsuits, that is your business. The MPNA would like to thank the many climbers who continue to support us.

Actually Mo you asked us as climber (since according to you we make up a large part of their funding) to stop donating to the Mohonk Preserve if the lawsuit didn't turn out the way you want it to.

Gmburns2000

Aug 9, 2010, 1:10 PM
Post #99 of 194 (9762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Actually chadnsc what I said was please look at the information presented here, become familiar with it if you want, we will post outcomes of current lawsuits where the Mohonk Preserve is suing their neighbors, and in general just be an informed consumer. If you want to donate to them after reading the outcome of the lawsuits, that is your business. The MPNA would like to thank the many climbers who continue to support us.

Actually Mo you asked us as climber (since according to you we make up a large part of their funding) to stop donating to the Mohonk Preserve if the lawsuit didn't turn out the way you want it to.

Subtle correction here: they actually want climbers to stop donating if the lawsuit turns out the way they want it to. In other words, their position is if the Mohonk loses then that must mean there is some sort of moral meaning behind it and thus, we should stop supporting the Mohonk because even the courts make it official that the Mohonk is bad.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 9, 2010, 6:28 PM
Post #100 of 194 (9686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Mohonk Preserve Neighbors Association [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know this is off-topic, but I'd like to take this time to formally reinforce my support of the Mohonk Preserve and the efforts it makes in environmental education and conservation.

I just made a donation of $50, designated to go specifically toward land acquisition. If you, too, would like to donate to the Mohonk Preserve, the link to do so is here:
https://web.memberclicks.com/...mop&formId=42439

On a quasi-related tangent, I'd like to point out that recreation is NOT the primary mission of the Mohonk Preserve.
"The Preserve's mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains by inspiring people to care for, enjoy, and explore the natural world."

To me, this means that climbing, hiking, cycling, strolling, riding, photographing, having picnics, etc., are encouraged to facilitate the development of our relationship with nature. Please consider that, when being asked as a climber or member of some other user group, to withhold your financial support, that such a request comes at the detriment of plants and animals who don't have the option to simply go somewhere else. The Shawangunk Ridge(and by association, the Preserve) is the only place available for them.

Our natural lands have all but disappeared, and the acreages protected by The Mohonk Preserve and other entities which do similar work are vitally important.

Let those who feel unjustly wronged with the Preserve's actions seek legal assistance and justice - I'd never suggest otherwise! But please don't seriously consider withholding donations which sustain the preserve.

If you would like to support the MPNA, why not consider making a donation directly to that organization as well?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook