Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Best way to get to Bishop after flight from Philadelphia?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sp00ki

Aug 11, 2010, 7:27 PM
Post #1 of 15 (8736 views)
Shortcut

Best way to get to Bishop after flight from Philadelphia?  (North_America: United_States: California: Bishop_and_Eastern_Sierra)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My girlfriend and I are starting to plan a week long bouldering trip to Bishop in early November.

After looking over travel options, i realized i should probably ask the advice of those who've done it before.
We're going to rent a car at some point, and would like to do so as close to Bishop as possible.
Is a flight to Reno or Las Vegas followed by driving a rental for five hours the best bet? Is there a closer option?
I noticed there's an Eastern Sierra Regional Airport in Bishop (KBIH); I'm assuming this is private charter only... right?

Thanks

majid_sabet

Aug 11, 2010, 8:52 PM
Post #2 of 15 (8714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Best way to get to Bishop after flight from Philadelphia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
My girlfriend and I are starting to plan a week long bouldering trip to Bishop in early November.

After looking over travel options, i realized i should probably ask the advice of those who've done it before.
We're going to rent a car at some point, and would like to do so as close to Bishop as possible.
Is a flight to Reno or Las Vegas followed by driving a rental for five hours the best bet? Is there a closer option?
I noticed there's an Eastern Sierra Regional Airport in Bishop (KBIH); I'm assuming this is private charter only... right?

Thanks

just rent a car and forget about flying little can of aluminum in around sierras.

vegastradguy

Aug 11, 2010, 9:25 PM
Post #3 of 15 (8699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Best way to get to Bishop after flight from Philadelphia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm....reno is closer (i think most of my friends can do the drive in about 3.5hrs), but not sure if it'll be cheaper from philly vs. vegas.

i suspect if you could fly into Bishop, it'd be pricey and im not entirely sure you can even rent a car in the area.

silascl

Aug 11, 2010, 9:29 PM
Post #4 of 15 (8696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could fly into Mammoth Lakes and save 4 hours or so of driving.

Then again, you'll have to fly to LA to fly to Mammoth, so a direct flight combined with driving might end up being faster. It will also be a heck of a lot cheaper.

hummm

Aug 11, 2010, 9:52 PM
Post #5 of 15 (8686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reno is only about 2 hours closer than Vegas, but I suspect you get a much better deal flying into Vegas. Plus, you get to climb Red Rock as well.

Either Reno or Vegas. There are flights to Mammoth Lakes (45 Miles away) which is operate by Horizon, but they really only fly out from LAX or Reno. Limited schedule follows the ski seasons.

wrbill

Aug 11, 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #6 of 15 (8672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reno or Vegas, I know that you can rent a car in Reno for about $100 a week with unlimited miles, now that is for in town. I'm sure they should have some good deals.

Reno: 200 miles from Bishop, close to Tahoe and Lovers Leap.

Vegas: 270 miles from Bishop, close to Red Rock

So the question is where have you been wanting to go more. Lovers Leap or Red Rock.

sgreer

Aug 11, 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #7 of 15 (8672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mammoth Lakes is a 3:45 min drive from Fresno via 41 to Tioga Pass through Yosemite. And as the earlier post states, Bishop is only 45 miles from Mammoth. Another plus is the Fresno/Yosemite Int'l airport is super fast to get through. This route is also the most scenic option taking you through the breadth of the Sierra Nevada, right through YNP.

wrbill

Aug 11, 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #8 of 15 (8665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgreer] Best way to get to Bishop after flight from Philadelphia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only thing about Tioga Pass is that if it gets hit with a big storm then they can close the pass. If that happens then you will be looking at a full day of driving to get around. I do not see the problem with going to Bishop, it would be on your return trip. Just something to think about.

sgreer

Aug 12, 2010, 6:28 PM
Post #9 of 15 (8635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wrbill] Best way to get to Bishop after flight from Philadelphia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RIGHT. November = Bad time to drive the pass. May be closed by then.

marc801

Aug 12, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #10 of 15 (8630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgreer] Best way to get to Bishop after flight from Philadelphia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depending on weather and how early winter arrives, getting over those 8K' summits between Reno and Bishop can also be problematic. November is also likely a bit late for Tahoe and the Leap as well.

Suffer the extra driving and go through Vegas.

trenchdigger

Aug 12, 2010, 7:13 PM
Post #11 of 15 (8615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Best way to get to Bishop after flight from Philadelphia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
just rent a car and forget about flying little can of aluminum in around sierras.

Sierra, majid... singlular, not plural. There's just one that we're talking about here.

wrbill

Aug 13, 2010, 6:37 PM
Post #12 of 15 (8582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Best way to get to Bishop after flight from Philadelphia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will tell you Hwy395 is kept up very well as it is a main trucking highway. Yes it could get snow that time of year, but not the point to shut is down. I have drove that route more times than I can count druing all time of the year and have never had a problem. Yes you are right about the Leap, but that road is also kept plowed as it is the only road for that people that live on Hwy 50. Just a thought of Reno Bishop route.

troutboy

Aug 13, 2010, 6:57 PM
Post #13 of 15 (8574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wrbill] Best way to get to Bishop after flight from Philadelphia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Reno is much easier. Smaller airport, no problem exiting the city, and rental cars are cheaper.

Be sure to factor in the outrageous taxes imposed on renting a car in the Vegas airport into your cost equation.

You can rent a car at a remote location in Vegas and avoid the airport taxes. Pretty easy to get to that remote location, either by cab or maybe free shuttle (Enterprise will usually do this for you).

TS

wrbill

Aug 13, 2010, 7:14 PM
Post #14 of 15 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [troutboy] Best way to get to Bishop after flight from Philadelphia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is the point that I am trying to make. Reno is closer and as you said the rental cars are cheaper. Plus in November the snow is not that bad to shut down the roads, not saying that it can't happen, but the odds are with you that they will not be shut down.

keinangst

Aug 13, 2010, 7:31 PM
Post #15 of 15 (8554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

However, flights are generally much cheaper and more plentiful to Vegas (same with rental cars).

I'd take the slightly longer drive in exchange for 10x more flexibility in case of cancellations, slim rental inventory, etc.

Forget about flying that last leg--that's just extra hassle and one more failure point for lost luggage, etc.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook