Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

jaablink

Aug 17, 2010, 1:54 AM
Post #26 of 217 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Come on up… I will have time to play the last 2 weeks of September before heading out on one of 2 back to back expeditions.the weather should be prime for the Gunks then.

(This post was edited by jaablink on Aug 17, 2010, 2:00 AM)

spikeddem

Aug 17, 2010, 2:05 AM
Post #27 of 217 (4966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

angry wrote:
15 years.

I started as a troll, mellowed out, got serious and gave real content. I'm bored now, I mostly lurk averaging 5 posts a week or so, none of them with any content.

Overall, I'd say I'm at 50%. In the last 3 years, 1%.

Based on this weeks events, I have deleted the rc.n00b bookmark from the toolbar of my browser hoping that I stop visiting.

As someone who has been through all the generations of this site, all I have to say is that you're better off without it.

:(

Bag11s

Aug 17, 2010, 3:18 AM
Post #28 of 217 (4930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing with alot of energy for 22 years and have made contributions to this site since last spring. I am not sure how to rate my posts as to quality or helpfulness. Regardless of the subject, and with mixed success, I try to get across a sort of unbounded enthusiasm for pulling down. Climbing has been a source of ridiculous pleasure for me over all this time. Energy radiates out of my back from the moment I recover from my former session until I can get back at it again. I guess I post this way to encourage raw beginners in the hope they can also tap in to this deep source of sustained fun. For the rest of you I'm preaching to the choir, for sure, but there you go.

areyoumydude

Aug 17, 2010, 3:41 AM
Post #29 of 217 (4915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bag11s] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing fer 17 years or so and posting here fer about 7 years. I'd say about 99.9 % of my posts are sh!t.
Glug,glug... urrrp!

skyfurr

Aug 17, 2010, 6:03 AM
Post #30 of 217 (4878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently got back into climbing after many years away, and was only climbing for 3-4 years to begin with... so very much a relearning stage at this point; now I feel experience is something to look forward to for me:)
As such, this site is as good as any so far I've come across for online discussion in the sport.

I've browsed other climbing forums but have to say rc.com stands out with a certain vitality, not least of all because of the light natured -even sarcastic/joking tone often present here, forums always feel more natural when you can say what you want without feeling all "taboo" about it.
A big thing rc.com has going for it;)
Much prefer a forum that leans more to users navigation of discussion rather than the delicate tiptoeing around "what might happen if someone gets offended". This is often overtly the case here.

All the other main sites so far visited are stale in comparison.
Just my own observation/opinion of course.
I can't complain about the amount of quality advice and info obtainable here either.

skiclimb

Aug 17, 2010, 6:07 AM
Post #31 of 217 (4874 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing for over 20 years. Though not so active the last 5 years. there are a few areas I am extremely knowledgeable in such as Alaskan mountaineering. Bigwalls i am mediocre but have enough experience to help newbies and aspirers.

The rest I have good general experience and knowledge.

Outside the soapbox I usually try to keep my posts useful and helpful. Most of them are.

I do occasionally troll Curt and bouldering..just for kicks..(secretly i am impressed by good bouldering) SHH...thats a secret

curt

Aug 17, 2010, 6:09 AM
Post #32 of 217 (4870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
I do occasionally troll Curt and bouldering..just for kicks..(secretly i am impressed by good bouldering) SHH...thats a secret

Dammit. I knew it. Cool

Curt

skiclimb

Aug 17, 2010, 6:15 AM
Post #33 of 217 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

Dammit. I knew it. Cool

Curt

Sumbitch...

Still though it's the kind of impressed you can get by a person who does any freakish rediculous made up activity unusually well. .. like a guy who can disassemble an M-16 in 3 seconds or whatever..or a person who can tell you the MLB stats of some minor leaguer who got called up for 2 weeks 27 years ago.

Impressive but pointless..

curt

Aug 17, 2010, 6:18 AM
Post #34 of 217 (4861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
curt wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

Dammit. I knew it. Cool

Curt

Sumbitch...

Still though it's the kind of impressed you can get by a person who does any freakish rediculous made up activity unusually well. .. like a guy who can disassemble an M-16 in 3 seconds or whatever..or a person who can tell you the MLB stats of some minor leaguer who got called up for 2 weeks 27 years ago.

Oh, I agree with that.

Curt

jt512

Aug 17, 2010, 6:21 AM
Post #35 of 217 (4853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
curt wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

Dammit. I knew it. Cool

Curt

Sumbitch...

Bouldering: Finding the hardest way up the smallest rocks.¹

Jay

¹ Paraphrased from a post by Dingus on rec.climbing a long time ago.

curt

Aug 17, 2010, 6:26 AM
Post #36 of 217 (4849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
skiclimb wrote:
curt wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

Dammit. I knew it. Cool

Curt

Sumbitch...

Jay

Which is a paraphrase of Yvon Chouinard from the 1960s:

"Bouldering is the hardest way of getting nowhere."

Curt

(This post was edited by curt on Aug 17, 2010, 6:28 AM)

jt512

Aug 17, 2010, 6:27 AM
Post #37 of 217 (4844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
jt512 wrote:
skiclimb wrote:
curt wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

Dammit. I knew it. Cool

Curt

Sumbitch...

Jay

"Bouldering is the hardest way of going nowhere."

Curt

Dingus's version is funnier.

curt

Aug 17, 2010, 6:30 AM
Post #38 of 217 (4840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
curt wrote:
jt512 wrote:
skiclimb wrote:
curt wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

Dammit. I knew it. Cool

Curt

Sumbitch...

Jay

"Bouldering is the hardest way of going nowhere."

Curt

Dingus's version is funnier.

Perhaps, but it's only a knockoff of the original.

Curt

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 17, 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #39 of 217 (4788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing for 1/2 a year plus hanging out in the gym climbing for 3 years. Learned all I know about climbing and safety from RC.com + books. I read the I&A threads religiously and post to the soap box irreligiously ("chihuahua on meth").

I've probably had two or three posts worth anything, the rest are crap.

I don’t ask many n00b questions because I think there aren’t that many good ones to ask.

bill413

Aug 17, 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #40 of 217 (4772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
Learned all I know about climbing and safety from RC.com + books.

Yur gonna die!!!

Tongue

How's that for affecting my S/N ratio?

(This post was edited by bill413 on Aug 17, 2010, 1:09 PM)

ClimbClimb

Aug 17, 2010, 1:10 PM
Post #41 of 217 (4761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
I think part of the noise is brought about by the problem of repetitive threads. We all know that the search engine does not return immediately useful information, especially to the people that are inclined to post up the question that's just been asked (for the 45th time) last week. I don't have an answer to this, just the observation.

The answer is to install a search engine that works on the site servers, or do one of those Google or Yahoo things... Because the search engine is worse than useless for finding things, and sending new people off to "just search for it" is really one step short of telling them to go to hell.

Partner cracklover

Aug 17, 2010, 1:51 PM
Post #42 of 217 (4730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing pretty seriously for 12 years.

I try to keep most of my posts serious, and rarely involve myself in flamefests. I used to participate more in this site, though - submitting lots of photos, volunteering as a photo editor, creating new threads, trip reports, and giving out really good info when I had it to give. But a few years ago it became clear that this was not a site that really appreciated such things. I've scaled back since then.

Besides, who needs the huge time-suck involved in keeping current with everything here if most of the participants would rather you eat shit and die anyway?

GO

dynosore

Aug 17, 2010, 2:17 PM
Post #43 of 217 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing for about seven years, not as much lately but that will change soon. In six years intermittently on this site i've seen some knowledeable people come and go, unfortunately a lot more goers in the last couple years than comers. That sounded better in my head. Anyways, I don't post too often but hope someone gets useful info or a laugh if I do.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 17, 2010, 3:36 PM
Post #44 of 217 (4665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Thanks, Curt. I agree that you participate in both forms, and yes, I can tell the difference.Wink

I'd like to type more and respond to more people but using the iphone for this is annoying Mad

Iphone spray.

See how I did that?

blueeyedclimber

Aug 17, 2010, 3:37 PM
Post #45 of 217 (4662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, Jay. Would you venture a guess to what percentage of your posts are helpful and of high quality?

Or should I just answer for you and say....100%? Cool

Josh

carabiner96

Aug 17, 2010, 3:39 PM
Post #46 of 217 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing for 10 years now, and generally don't post much outside of the scummunity. When I do, it's usually for the sole purpose of antagonizing someone.

majid_sabet

Aug 17, 2010, 4:42 PM
Post #47 of 217 (4621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
15 years.

I started as a troll, mellowed out, got serious and gave real content. I'm bored now, I mostly lurk averaging 5 posts a week or so, none of them with any content.

Overall, I'd say I'm at 50%. In the last 3 years, 1%.

Based on this weeks events, I have deleted the rc.n00b bookmark from the toolbar of my browser hoping that I stop visiting.

As someone who has been through all the generations of this site, all I have to say is that you're better off without it.

I wish I had known you some 15 years ago. It would had made our RELATION MUCH STRONGER

You know what I mean dear ISLAND JUNGLE MAN

blueeyedclimber

Aug 17, 2010, 4:46 PM
Post #48 of 217 (4614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

You know what I mean dear ISLAND JUNGLE MAN

PLEASE DO NOT EXPLAIN!

Josh

Dip

Aug 17, 2010, 5:06 PM
Post #49 of 217 (4601 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing 2 1/2 years, and although i only get outside about twice a month, i climb four times a week.

Probably the first week i became interested in climbing i stumbled across this site, and like the OP, i do like the sarcasm and the occasional entertaining thread, although sometimes the pissing contests get old.

I have, however, found a lot of useful and helpful information on this sight, and i hate to see some of the more knowledgeable people checking out. It's my hope that as i learn and spend more time in the trenches, or in this case on the rocks, i can step in and help fill the void left by those who became discouraged, although that will take some time, as i would never post claiming to know anything about anything unless there isn't a doubt in my mind i know what i'm talking about.

So far, i'd say my posts are 50/50, although as you can see there haven't been many.

Partner camhead

Aug 17, 2010, 5:26 PM
Post #50 of 217 (4587 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] Signal to Noise [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing for 12 yrs. Mostly post in community, but try to post decent advice once in a while as well.

I've been on the site for 9, so I have seen it in all of its evolutionary stages. Gotta say that its present condition right now is terrible in terms of moderation, navigation, photos, routes, and layout.

Far and away the biggest plus from this site is the people that I have met through it. Met some very good friends and excellent climbing partners. This site is not as gumby as people think it is once you get below the surface.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook