RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

skatebrider

Aug 23, 2010, 3:40 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1874 views)
Shortcut

Heat Shrink Tubing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I've been searching around the forums looking at opinions of marking gear. Using heat shrink tubing looks like a decent idea to me, but I started to wonder if it could be used on cams (maybe on the sling?) considering there’s no way to get it onto the stem without stretching it out. Essentially looking for opinions and experiences with shrink wrap tubing, and if your experience has been bad what you chose instead.

Thanks for any help
-Ben

trenchdigger

Aug 23, 2010, 3:48 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skatebrider] Heat Shrink Tubing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adding heat shrink tubing to the sling would make it significantly stiffer. Why would you want to do that?

I do use heat shrink over swages and cable ends when I re-trigger cams. It stiffens up the joint, slightly, reducing fatigue on the cable and reducing the likelyhood of any non-smooth edges of the swage snagging on soft gear.

trapdoor

Aug 23, 2010, 3:49 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lay out your gear and cover all of the soft goods well. Then with a color of your choice make one pass with some spray paint and wah lah your gear is marked forever. No need to get too crazy with the paint though.

skatebrider

Aug 23, 2010, 3:51 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Heat Shrink Tubing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wasn't saying that I wanted to put it over the sling and that was my exact same thought that it would make it stiffer. I was aiming at finding a better solution and putting it out there that I had already thought of that and found it unfavorable.

-Ben

acorneau

Aug 23, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

skatebrider wrote:
Hi, I've been searching around the forums looking at opinions of marking gear. Using heat shrink tubing looks like a decent idea to me, but I started to wonder if it could be used on cams (maybe on the sling?) considering there’s no way to get it onto the stem without stretching it out. Essentially looking for opinions and experiences with shrink wrap tubing, and if your experience has been bad what you chose instead.

Thanks for any help
-Ben

I once tried HST on my biners. Initially, it was a good idea, but they started to loosen up and eventually either rip off or become so annoying that I ripped them off myself.

I moved to nail polish and other than have to touch it up it every year or so, it's great. I went with the brightest version of Barney-purple I could find, 99 cents at the grocery store.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook