Premier Sponsor:

coach713
Deleted

Nov 12, 2001, 3:51 PM
Post #1 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

How did you get there?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howdy,... I have 5 boys, and we climb as much as we can. 3 of my boy were oustanding wrestlers, the other two concentrated on football and baseball. I found that my wrestler sons took to climbing 100% better than the other two boys.

I have seen some great athletes out climbing, and my question is,...

What sports if any, led you to climbing, or that you thought developed you more for climbing? It would be fun to know how all of you (guys and Girls) got to climbing,..

krillen

Nov 12, 2001, 4:47 PM
Post #2 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

How did you get there? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For me nothing is like or lead me to climbing.

I play ball hockey, soccer, adn will play just about anything. Climbing is in it's own category for me, but I can see how sports like wrestling which require body tension and controlled strength movements woudl translate well.

fiend

Nov 12, 2001, 4:55 PM
Post #3 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got into climbing because I didn't really like any other sports. I don't really like the whole 'kill the other team, promote and reward the ball hogging superstar' ideals that are prevalent in most team sports these days.

Oh and I throw like a girl.

litedawg

Nov 12, 2001, 5:12 PM
Post #4 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never really cared for "organized" sports; football, basketball, wrestling, ad nauseum. I mountain biked hardcore for about four years. Hiking and scrambling lead to rock climbing.

coach713
Deleted

Nov 12, 2001, 5:28 PM
Post #5 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

****I don't really like the whole 'kill the other team, promote and reward the ball hogging superstar' ideals that are prevalent in most team sports these days.

Oh and I throw like a girl.****

I loved the "Throw" thing

You're right about the Hogging superstar thing. I gave up coaching this year after 20-years. I can't take the whole mental thing with kids in team sports anymore. Individual sports though are different some what.

Since I started climbing with my 5-boys 6 months ago,.. It amazes me the strength endurance, commitment, athletic abilities and mental toughness of climbers. I guess that coming from a totally organized sports scene and mind set, I just figured that others have come to this as an extension of other sports.

It appears so far that Climbing is it's own focus and reward, and that's great.

ratstar

Nov 12, 2001, 5:40 PM
Post #6 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only 'team' sport I'll play is soccer. And its just a bunch of people my age playing. Not really any set teams or anything. But dont you think climbing is a team thing. You and your belayer/partner?

coach713
Deleted

Nov 12, 2001, 5:53 PM
Post #7 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, your right radstar. I never thought of it that way.. Plus, it has sure built a lot of trust between my boys and I.. That's a good point..

talons05

Nov 12, 2001, 6:39 PM
Post #8 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There wasn't any sport that I thought really prepared me for climbing. There are a lot of things that I think climbing has prepared me for though...

AW

coach

Nov 12, 2001, 7:41 PM
Post #9 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It wasn't another sport that led me to climbing. I began working with another Marine who is a graduate of the Marine Corps Mountain Leader Course and he offered to teach me to climb. I was almost 50 at the time and decided "why not!". I didn't want to wake up 10 years from now and wish I had at least tried it and found that I love it. Been climbing 3 times a week ever since.

Climb On

talons05

Nov 12, 2001, 8:23 PM
Post #10 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coach, I'm jealous that you get to climb 3 times a week. I'm lucky to get out once a month.

AW

woodse

Nov 12, 2001, 9:39 PM
Post #11 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not other sports but just a general interest, a girlfriend who was doing it and one of the greatest friends I ever came upon led to my climbing.

colin

Nov 12, 2001, 10:06 PM
Post #12 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Soccer, XC, and track(polevault and sprints). They give me the endurance and strength without the bulk most climbers want.

tangboy

Nov 12, 2001, 11:38 PM
Post #13 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am an outdoors man. i am 6'4" and can't play basketball worth a lick, so i got a lot of crap about being a "waste of hight" so i found something that i am good at and my height can be an advantage. we all have to find our place in life... and needing something to be good at led me to the best place to be... ON THE ROCK!
tang

rwaltermyer

Nov 12, 2001, 11:53 PM
Post #14 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've played on sport teams, won MVPs, won championships, but nothing compares to the mental and physical toughness of climbing.

The inner finding that comes with climbing is just unlike anything else.

But to stay fit and get better, lifting regular (back, forearms, rower, and finger pinches) helped me improve. Not to mention a home built bouldering wall.

God Bless
Randy

beta

Nov 13, 2001, 12:44 AM
Post #15 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting into climbing wasn't really something I intended to do.

I have always been athletic, individual sports, golf, running, biking, skating, skiing etc... the team sport thing turned me off, too many egos to deal with. Anyway, some guys and gals that worked for me were avid climbers, and after a few weeks of asking them the usual stupid questions like, how do you get the rope up there ?:lol: they invited me along,(probably sucking up to the boss). I did some top rope climbing that day and got HOOKED, the rest is history.

Nice thing is my enthusiasm for climbing has rubbed off on other people I know, and they are now crazy for climbing, how cool is that.

Jeff

biff

Nov 13, 2001, 1:33 AM
Post #16 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have come across a few wake boarders / water skiers who have picked up climbing faster than anyone else I have seen. Many of the same muscle groups are used in watersking and climbing. Forearm strenght in water skiing is esential, and balance is a requirement. But I suspect a gymnest woud be able to pick up climbing really quicly, they should have good balance, and strength shouldn't be a problem. A few examples of footwork and they should be able to do things quite quickly.

As far as team sports, lacrosse really builds endurance and strength, and in lacross you learn to be tough and how to take a hit essential in large falls and when bouldering with a slopy partner. click here for an example of how not? to spot

[ This Message was edited by: biff on 2001-11-12 17:37 ]

wigglestick

Nov 13, 2001, 5:31 PM
Post #17 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to climb at a gym which was in a University Recreation center and the wall was in a gym right next to the gym where the gymnastics team practiced. We used to sneak over there and steal chalk. (They had huge bowls of it!!!). Once we got caught and to avoid getting yelled at we invited them over to climb with us. Talk about picking up the sport fast. These guys were incrediblly strong but had terrible technique. One of them stuck with it and quickly moved up the grades. That guy could campus any route you would throw at him. Ahhhh genetics....

ecchastang

Nov 13, 2001, 6:27 PM
Post #18 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my brother(anamoly) took me to a small climbing area in northern mississippi(tishmingo) and I've been hooked ever since.

coach713
Deleted

Nov 13, 2001, 6:30 PM
Post #19 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great Bouldering technique Biff... I'm going to HAVE to get my wife out climbing NOW!! (Except she slaps!)

And Wigglestick, I belong to a lifting group/Gym here.. They have a tendency to put the chalk in the buckets unbroken figuring that the people using the chalk will break it up.. Makes it SOOOO easy to keep my boys in Chalk!

coach

Nov 13, 2001, 7:44 PM
Post #20 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Biff,
Don't see anything wrong with that spotting technique. Protect the valuables, right!

Climb On

rocmonkey

Nov 15, 2001, 10:46 AM
Post #21 of 21 (5616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coach
I started climbing as a result of a friend taking me for and abseil/repel.
I wanted to get some abseiling gear and the duded at the climbing shop told me to do their introductory abseiling and rock climbing course first.
And rock climbing it became...

breathe stone
RoC

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook