Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

markc

Sep 1, 2010, 8:20 PM
Post #26 of 29 (436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Spliced Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
Dang, missed the original post quote there.

That's okay - it was probably something like the PM I received:
aspenshayn wrote:
Hello, I am doing some research on accidents involving splices in webbing. I am involved with helping a woman who fell due to spliced webbing connected by tape. Her accident occured last year and I am seeing tons of history of the same type of fall. I would really appreciate it if we could talk or if I could just follow up with you with some more questions. Thanks for your time.
Shayn. Aspen, Colorado.

This smells like a fishing expedition. As others have said, it's your responsibility to inspect your gear regularly and to know how to use it properly. If you can't do so, you should not be climbing independently.

markc

Sep 1, 2010, 8:41 PM
Post #27 of 29 (420 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aspenshayn] Spliced Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

aspenshayn wrote:
A girl I know fell due to a splice in the webbing concealed by tape. The tape/splice gave way and she fell resulting in major injuries.

I feel compelled to respond to this point. I don't know the young woman in question, but she wasn't injured due to a taped splice in webbing. She was injured due to a lack of sufficient climbing knowledge, lack of inspection of equipment, and presumably a lack of redundancy in the anchor. If you're trying to learn climbing on your own as you go, the price of error can be extremely high. I hope she mends well and learns from this experience.

spikeddem

Sep 1, 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #28 of 29 (392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Spliced Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
aspenshayn wrote:
A girl I know fell due to a splice in the webbing concealed by tape. The tape/splice gave way and she fell resulting in major injuries.

I feel compelled to respond to this point. I don't know the young woman in question, but she wasn't injured due to a taped splice in webbing. She was injured due to a lack of sufficient climbing knowledge, lack of inspection of equipment, and presumably a lack of redundancy in the anchor. If you're trying to learn climbing on your own as you go, the price of error can be extremely high. I hope she mends well and learns from this experience.

Nicely said.

Partner xtrmecat

Sep 1, 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #29 of 29 (379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Spliced Webbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gmggg wrote:
aspenshayn wrote:
I do work in a law firm, not as a lawyer. there is no suit. A girl I know fell due to a splice in the webbing concealed by tape. The tape/splice gave way and she fell resulting in major injuries. I just wanted to know if this was happening more than the instance in 1996, 2000, 2003 and 2009 that I know of already.
As far as the dime a dozen dead lawyer joke. That's fine, but remember there are the good and the bad jsut like any profession. But they are the reason you have the rights you do today and many good things have come from just 1 concerned lawyer.

Where are the bad EMTs? The bad nurses? The bad NGO aid workers?

You need to work on tightening up that language if you hope to be a lawyer one day son.

Misrepresenting your intentions, exactly the type of behavior I would expect from a professional anything, right...???..? !

As far as to why I have rights, I thank veterans, not lawyers. Those that came before put into writing what lawyers have been trying to chip away at ever since. This may be off your topic, but we smelled a rat right away, you may wish to de-scent yourself better next time.

Bob

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook