Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kifoa

Sep 29, 2010, 1:36 PM
Post #1 of 39 (8739 views)
Shortcut

TR soloing with two clove hitch
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there anybody TR soloing only with two clove hitch on rope SlyI searched the forum and found little information about it.I think compared with the yosemite two mini-traxion style that the clove method have some shortage as below:
1) There is one till two rope loop beside you when climing,maybe it prevent you moving and catch your leg when falling and you have to take the weight of the rope belowe clove hitch.
2) You have to unclip pre clove hitch ,tie a new,then clip in,most time only by one hand.even more complicated than leading.
3) The ff may be 0.5 and the compact force is 400KG when coming near the top.Some time you’ll fall 3 meters.the max value is the half compared with leading.
Although clove hitch method have many shortage,it is worth to have a try..you must care for not falling and do some action by one hand.All these are useful training for leading. do you agreeWinkof corse the cliff must have no rock sticking out.

kifoa

gmggg

Sep 29, 2010, 1:48 PM
Post #2 of 39 (8722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kifoa] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Where are you from?

carabiner96

Sep 29, 2010, 2:31 PM
Post #3 of 39 (8703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WinkTongue

malcolm777b

Sep 29, 2010, 3:05 PM
Post #4 of 39 (8689 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kifoa wrote:
Is there anybody TR soloing only with two clove hitch on rope SlyI searched the forum and found little information about it.I think compared with the yosemite two mini-traxion style that the clove method have some shortage as below:
1) There is one till two rope loop beside you when climing,maybe it prevent you moving and catch your leg when falling and you have to take the weight of the rope belowe clove hitch.
2) You have to unclip pre clove hitch ,tie a new,then clip in,most time only by one hand.even more complicated than leading.
3) The ff may be 0.5 and the compact force is 400KG when coming near the top.Some time you’ll fall 3 meters.the max value is the half compared with leading.
Although clove hitch method have many shortage,it is worth to have a try..you must care for not falling and do some action by one hand.All these are useful training for leading. do you agreeWinkof corse the cliff must have no rock sticking out.

kifoa

Is that what all that crap on your harness is for?

dingus

Sep 29, 2010, 3:11 PM
Post #5 of 39 (8684 views)
Shortcut

Re: TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A few hundred rope lengths on this rig has me convinced the ~ $100 investment for the mini traxes was worth it. With the chest sling attachment keeping the upper trax in tension on the rope, the fall potential is nil.

Your other points about cloves seem appropriate, pro and con. I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish...

In my case I wanted to be able to set up a top-down rap rope on some crag and then yo-yo pitches repeatedly, like laps in the gym. I have 4 main criteria:

1. Safety - A. its got to work, duh. And as importantly B. I have to have faith that it will work. I got to 'A' fairly quickly, 'B' took more time.

2. I wanted a self-feeding mechanism. So long as the rope is weighted, this rig IS self-feeding.

3. Quick turn-around top and bottom - my mark is no longer than a minute to switch from climb to rap mode and back again. I employ a 3rd locker on my belay loop for this purpose - and use a grigri for rapping.

4. No rope shredding - I am not using my rig to try to advance my grades per se, for me its more like the climbing equivalent of jogging - training and just plain fun doing workout laps, etc. So I am not hucking off all the time, if I were I'm not sure I would use the exact same rig. Its a little 'teethy' for my taste.

Now you'll probably die if you try any of this and my use is by no means an endorsement nor encouragement to you to try it. You are on your own in every respect, when you go soloing.

DMT

carabiner96

Sep 29, 2010, 3:19 PM
Post #6 of 39 (8671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
[IMG]http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad72/oldclymr2/080510%20Granite%20Carson%20Pass/DSC08437.jpg[/IMG]

A few hundred rope lengths on this rig has me convinced the ~ $100 investment for the mini traxes was worth it. With the chest sling attachment keeping the upper trax in tension on the rope, the fall potential is nil.

Your other points about cloves seem appropriate, pro and con. I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish...

In my case I wanted to be able to set up a top-down rap rope on some crag and then yo-yo pitches repeatedly, like laps in the gym. I have 4 main criteria:

1. Safety - A. its got to work, duh. And as importantly B. I have to have faith that it will work. I got to 'A' fairly quickly, 'B' took more time.

2. I wanted a self-feeding mechanism. So long as the rope is weighted, this rig IS self-feeding.

3. Quick turn-around top and bottom - my mark is no longer than a minute to switch from climb to rap mode and back again. I employ a 3rd locker on my belay loop for this purpose - and use a grigri for rapping.

4. No rope shredding - I am not using my rig to try to advance my grades per se, for me its more like the climbing equivalent of jogging - training and just plain fun doing workout laps, etc. So I am not hucking off all the time, if I were I'm not sure I would use the exact same rig. Its a little 'teethy' for my taste.

[IMG]http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad72/oldclymr2/080510%20Granite%20Carson%20Pass/DSC08435.jpg[/IMG]

Now you'll probably die if you try any of this and my use is by no means an endorsement nor encouragement to you to try it. You are on your own in every respect, when you go soloing.

DMT

I enjoy seeing other folks' TR solo setups, thanks!

gmggg

Sep 29, 2010, 4:01 PM
Post #7 of 39 (8648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 for the minitrax.

If I'm not climbing a full rope's length then sometimes I'll tie the rope off at the middle and use a minitrax on one strand and a grigri on the other. This way I have a backed up minitrax and a no-setup rappel ready to go when I get to the top.

You do have to pull rope through the grigri but it's pretty easy and not necessary to do so constantly as it's just your backup.

MS1

Sep 29, 2010, 4:36 PM
Post #8 of 39 (8631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

kifoa wrote:

kifoa

You are like the Professor of Complicated Bullshit Ideas. If you are too cheap to buy a minitrax or put together another similar set-up, just pre-tie some butterfly knots in the rope and clip into them as you climb. Tying all those cloves one handed will be a huge pain, and you might end up mis-tying them at some point due to fatigue. Not coincidentally, that's probably also when you are most likely to test your system by falling on it. See the problem?

markc

Sep 29, 2010, 6:19 PM
Post #9 of 39 (8577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
You are like the Professor of Complicated Bullshit Ideas. If you are too cheap to buy a minitrax or put together another similar set-up, just pre-tie some butterfly knots in the rope and clip into them as you climb. Tying all those cloves one handed will be a huge pain, and you might end up mis-tying them at some point due to fatigue. Not coincidentally, that's probably also when you are most likely to test your system by falling on it. See the problem?

A friend uses the butterfly knot system on occasion. He anchors the middle of his rope at the top. He clips the butterflies as he goes, leapfrogging two slings. He has the unknotted line for rappelling at any point.

I've used a system similar to this climbing tech tip:

http://www.climbing.com/...techtips/ttsport253/

I initially hung and took some falls low to the ground to get comfortable with the system, and don't have issues taking a fall on it at this point. It feels a bit fiddly at first, but it's better than staying at home.

CliffDestructo

Sep 29, 2010, 9:22 PM
Post #10 of 39 (8513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Its probably cheaper, more fun and safer to just con/ bribe a friend or make a new friend through the promise of beers at the end of the day of laps

justroberto

Sep 29, 2010, 9:47 PM
Post #11 of 39 (8501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MS1] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
You are like the Professor of Complicated Bullshit Ideas.
I'm still laughing...

sherpa79

Sep 29, 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #12 of 39 (8474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as the multiple minitrax go, why do you need two? I realize that this will grab reliably, but if you break the primary because you fall whats to keep the second one from failing as well? Why not some other combo? I'm not sure this is really a "redundant" system as far as all modes of failure are concerned. Though I'm always interested in other people's systems. It seems to me if all you are doing is TR soloing than paying for 2 minitraxions is somewhat unnecessary. Allthough outside of a hitch and pulley combo, you're probably likely to spend just as much money on another mechanical solution to the problem.
The gri-gri solution isn't perfect (because of feeding), but much more reliable in terms of a backup in my opinion. Though a gri-gri isn't LESS expensive than a mini-trax.
Not picking on you dingus, just trying to think through a system new to me. Thanks for sharing, expecially with pictures!

qwert

Sep 30, 2010, 9:37 AM
Post #13 of 39 (8406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sherpa79] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont have any idea what that clove hitch system is supposed to be, but i doubt its a good idea.

So ...

[obligatory]U R GUNNA DYE!!!111!eleven!!![/obligatory]

If you want to go TR soloing, try something like Dingus system.

Personally i use a petzl basic, and a prussik for backup (unfortunately i dont have a pic), a system thats completely self feeding.

I dont know what dingus motivation for the backup system is, but mine is the fact that you can block the cam of an ascender rather easily, if something like a small rock falls into it (there have been accidents with that).
Also i often have the biner in my ascender moving around, so that it gets crossloaded. So i like to have a second system, with a second biner.

qwert

dingus

Sep 30, 2010, 1:14 PM
Post #14 of 39 (8379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sherpa79] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sherpa79 wrote:
As far as the multiple minitrax go, why do you need two? I realize that this will grab reliably, but if you break the primary because you fall whats to keep the second one from failing as well? Why not some other combo? I'm not sure this is really a "redundant" system as far as all modes of failure are concerned. Though I'm always interested in other people's systems. It seems to me if all you are doing is TR soloing than paying for 2 minitraxions is somewhat unnecessary. Allthough outside of a hitch and pulley combo, you're probably likely to spend just as much money on another mechanical solution to the problem.
The gri-gri solution isn't perfect (because of feeding), but much more reliable in terms of a backup in my opinion. Though a gri-gri isn't LESS expensive than a mini-trax.
Not picking on you dingus, just trying to think through a system new to me. Thanks for sharing, expecially with pictures!

Its to make my fuzzies get warm. The business part of a trax, the part that actually comes into contact with the rope, is roughly the size of a postage stamp.

Mini trax units have been known to slip, Angry on this site experienced a 10 foot slide one day with his single trax failed to grasp the rope tightly.

There are other failure modes too, such as the fact the housing around the pulley assembly is wobbly after a few uses and could conceivable be leveraged open and allow the rope to pop out.

I could use a different 2nd device but I don't - because I have a 2nd trax. I 'tie them in' differently so the rope twist off method of dying mode is different for the two of them.

That's the reason the top grigri is girthed, to keep those plates snug.

Lastly I'm not trying to say the system I use (and copied from others) is superior. Its just the one I use.

Cheers
DMT

iron106

Sep 30, 2010, 1:29 PM
Post #15 of 39 (8370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am suprised nobody ever mentions using a Petzl Shunt (no teeth, it shows how to do it in the instructions, http://www.petzl.com/...HUNT_B03200-07-1.pdf) or the Trango Cinch (feeds better than the grigri).

dingus

Sep 30, 2010, 1:33 PM
Post #16 of 39 (8367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iron106] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iron106 wrote:
I am suprised nobody ever mentions using a Petzl Shunt (no teeth, it shows how to do it in the instructions, http://www.petzl.com/...HUNT_B03200-07-1.pdf) or the Trango Cinch (feeds better than the grigri).

So what's your experience with the Shunt? Got some pictures of your rig?

DMT

iron106

Sep 30, 2010, 1:41 PM
Post #17 of 39 (8362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
iron106 wrote:

DMT

I have not used it. I use a grigri and knots, ugh. It's just what I have.

I was putting it out there because I am hopeing to hear from anyone who has used it. It seems to feed nice, just no overhangs or falling on it.

dingus

Sep 30, 2010, 1:45 PM
Post #18 of 39 (8356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool. You make a good point about perhaps employing a different back up device, which is why I asked.

Cheers
DMT

cruxstacean

Sep 30, 2010, 3:06 PM
Post #19 of 39 (8318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iron106 wrote:

Just FYI, Trango doesn't recommend using the Cinch for top rope soloing... so, use at your own risk.

Now that I think about it, Petzl doesn't approve of using the Grigri for TR solo either do they?

iron106

Sep 30, 2010, 3:46 PM
Post #20 of 39 (8304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cruxstacean] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cruxstacean wrote:
iron106 wrote:

Just FYI, Trango doesn't recommend using the Cinch for top rope soloing... so, use at your own risk.

Now that I think about it, Petzl doesn't approve of using the Grigri for TR solo either do they?

No Petzl does not suggest that it works, just
""WARNING: any blockage or constraint of the device, or of the
cam, negates the braking action on the rope: DANGER OF
DEATH." "
and
"application is essential before use.
This product must only be used by competent and responsible
persons, or those placed under the direct and visual control of a
competent and responsible person.
Gaining an adequate apprenticeship in appropriate techniques and
methods of protection is your own responsibility.
You personally assume all risks and responsibilities for all damage,
injury or death which may occur during or following incorrect use of
our products in any manner whatsoever. If you are not able, or not
in a position to assume this responsibility or to take this risk, do not
use this equipment.
You must have a rescue plan and the means to rapidly
implement it in case of difficulties encountered while using
this equipment."

But I have something that works for me. Also the Grigri is a stronger device that the Cinch.

gmggg

Sep 30, 2010, 4:19 PM
Post #21 of 39 (8291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
iron106 wrote:

DMT

I know people have, but supposedly it's pretty dangerous in higher force falls. It's a really small contact area and a lot of mechanical advantage. [/internet rumor]

markc

Sep 30, 2010, 8:17 PM
Post #22 of 39 (8216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CliffDestructo] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CliffDestructo wrote:
Its probably cheaper, more fun and safer to just con/ bribe a friend or make a new friend through the promise of beers at the end of the day of laps

I don't know if this is a general reply or specific to me. Many of my long-term partners have drifted from climbing, moved, or have young kids. New partners don't always stick, and climbing doesn't always take with people you train up. While I haven't done it much, the nice thing about solo TRing is that you're not dependent upon someone else's schedule.

I see two major issues regarding safety. Folks with more experience may weigh in, as well. First off, the burden of safety checks is entirely on one person. Also, you may be the only one at the crag. It's important to communicate where you'll be and when you'll be back in case you're alone. That said, I'm using a pretty straightforward and redundant system.

Regarding cost, I already owned everything I need to solo TR. I had a great time the first time I tried this. I had the crag to myself. I rigged and climbed what I wanted, rested and had a snack when I wanted, and got in a good deal of climbing in a short time. I enjoyed the solitude. If I run into people in the crag who I want to climb with, I can join them. If not, being alone won't ruin my day.

edit - typo

(This post was edited by markc on Sep 30, 2010, 8:19 PM)

dingus

Sep 30, 2010, 9:14 PM
Post #23 of 39 (8186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
I see two major issues regarding safety. Folks with more experience may weigh in, as well. First off, the burden of safety checks is entirely on one person. Also, you may be the only one at the crag. It's important to communicate where you'll be and when you'll be back in case you're alone. That said, I'm using a pretty straightforward and redundant system.

Yup. You have to be your own keeper, full time. And I typically only solo TR when I AM alone at a crag. I don't like to do it around other people even though I have.

I also rarely tell anyone where exactly I am going to be nor when to expect me back. But that's just a quirk I have.

Cheers
DMT

gunkiemike

Sep 30, 2010, 9:29 PM
Post #24 of 39 (8181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cruxstacean] TR soloing with two clove hitch [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cruxstacean wrote:

No, but they DO approve of the Basic ascender for this purpose. It's what I've used for nearly 10 years.

hugepedro

Sep 30, 2010, 9:35 PM
Post #25 of 39 (8177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is what you do:

#1) Get a personality, so that...
#2) You can get a few friends (people, not cams), so that...
#3) When you want to climb you just call 1 of them and say, "hey, let's go climbing!"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook