RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

pencilbox

Oct 6, 2010, 6:15 PM
Post #1 of 20 (6089 views)
Shortcut

*&%#ing wide shoes...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all. Brand new to climbing here (actually taking it up b/c I enrolled my 7 y.o. in a class and he *loves* it).

I searched the forums for "wide climbing shoes" and some other variations. Good responses, but the newest result was from 2008. Any new info?

Thanks for the help.

redlude97

Oct 6, 2010, 6:17 PM
Post #2 of 20 (6085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pencilbox] *&%#ing wide shoes... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

evolvs run wide generally, and the scarpa thunder has an extra wide toe box.

pencilbox

Oct 6, 2010, 6:33 PM
Post #3 of 20 (6066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] *&%#ing wide shoes... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, RL. I saw Evolv come up in earlier posts quite a bit. Any particular model, that you know of?

redlude97

Oct 6, 2010, 6:44 PM
Post #4 of 20 (6054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pencilbox wrote:
Thank you, RL. I saw Evolv come up in earlier posts quite a bit. Any particular model, that you know of?
If you are just starting go with the evolv defy. good beginner show with a wide toe box

(This post was edited by redlude97 on Oct 6, 2010, 6:44 PM)

I_do

Oct 6, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #5 of 20 (6047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
pencilbox wrote:
If you are just starting go with the evolv defy. good beginner show with a wide toe box

Really? I've no chance of fitting my foot in a defy. Not wide enough where it needs to be. I've worn boreal spiders, red chili spirits, la sportiva katana's and miura's. I just might have weird feet though.

acorneau

Oct 6, 2010, 7:13 PM
Post #6 of 20 (6020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have wide, squared-off duck feet and have found the La Sportiva Nago (lace up) and Arco (velcro) to be my favorite shoe at the moment.

Five Ten generally runs a little wider in the toe box. Since you're just getting started try the Spires or Coyotes out. They'll be a little stiffer in the sole, supporting your feet while they build up strength.

Also, lace-ups or velcro shoes allows you to tighten them up as the shoes stretch and you're feet learn to be cramped up a bit.

One more thing: don't let anyone convince you that they have to be super tight. Yes, most shoes will break in a little, but you don't want to be in pain when you're just starting out.

pencilbox

Oct 6, 2010, 7:34 PM
Post #7 of 20 (6013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] *&%#ing wide shoes... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, ID and AC. AC, I usually describe my feet as "Flintstone-esque."

Definitely not going for the tight/hi-performance/cruel shoes experience. My main goal is just to climb w my son and some other friends w small kids.

I run barefoot, which I think has made my foot even a little wider than they used to be. IF my feet are already fairly strong, should I not worry about finding a stiff sole?

acorneau

Oct 6, 2010, 7:53 PM
Post #8 of 20 (6000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pencilbox wrote:
IF my feet are already fairly strong, should I not worry about finding a stiff sole?

I'd say that's a reasonable assumption.

Most "beginners" shoes usually have a slightly thicker sole and/or mid-sole, but again, find what shoes fit the shape of your foot and don't worry too much about the specifications.

Good luck.

redlude97

Oct 6, 2010, 9:23 PM
Post #9 of 20 (5959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] *&%#ing wide shoes... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I_do wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
pencilbox wrote:

Really? I've no chance of fitting my foot in a defy. Not wide enough where it needs to be. I've worn boreal spiders, red chili spirits, la sportiva katana's and miura's. I just might have weird feet though.
katanas and miuras run pretty narrow so no idea how you were able to use those and not the defys

bearbreeder

Oct 6, 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #10 of 20 (5928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive got wide feet and lace miuras fit me find

at the end of the day just try on every shoe you can ... and climb on the REI wall ... lol

and then return them if they dont work out ... gotta love big box stores

cruxstacean

Oct 6, 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #11 of 20 (5918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pencilbox wrote:
Hi all. Brand new to climbing here (actually taking it up b/c I enrolled my 7 y.o. in a class and he *loves* it).

I searched the forums for "wide climbing shoes" and some other variations. Good responses, but the newest result was from 2008. Any new info?

Thanks for the help.

I too have fairly wide shoes and fiveten fits fairly well. as mentioned la sportiva is not very wide - katanas murder my feet

evolv optimus primes are also very very wide but not a beginner shoe. I love mine though

klime_hard101

Oct 7, 2010, 1:12 AM
Post #12 of 20 (5887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

look up millet climbing shoes with laces. they are orange and black, they work well for me...
In reply to:

strangeday

Oct 7, 2010, 3:14 AM
Post #13 of 20 (5840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a quite wide foot, and started with red chili sausalitos. A nice stiff lace up. I now wear 5.10 moccasyms, which are a slipper, but tend to stretch quite a bit. After a few wearings, they feel like they shape to my foot, but they are definitely not stiff soled. Also, my wife swears by her sportiva mythos, but I'm not a fan of sportiva shoes. Good luck, and have fun with your son!!

I_do

Oct 7, 2010, 6:20 AM
Post #14 of 20 (5806 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cruxstacean] *&%#ing wide shoes... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cruxstacean wrote:
pencilbox wrote:

Thanks for the help.

I too have fairly wide shoes and fiveten fits fairly well. as mentioned la sportiva is not very wide - katanas murder my feet

evolv optimus primes are also very very wide but not a beginner shoe. I love mine though

And I can fit katana's but not optimus primes... I think it's more a question of shape and not a simple wide narrow thing.

Kartessa

Oct 7, 2010, 2:27 PM
Post #15 of 20 (5760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Find a store near you with LOTS of shoes to choose from and try everything on!

Every time I've gone in with a certain pair of shoes in mind, I've walked out with something compeltely different because how it looks on a website will never compare to how it feels on your feet.

pencilbox

Oct 7, 2010, 3:24 PM
Post #16 of 20 (5738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the thoughful replies, all. I'll let you know if I find anything, or if the blockfeeted beebles of the world are forever destined to pain and humiliation.

matterunomama

Oct 8, 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #17 of 20 (5700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have feet size 6.5 D width with a bunion. The only shoes I can comfortably wear are Evolve Defy and Pontas (take 5.5)

gwyn

Oct 8, 2010, 5:51 PM
Post #18 of 20 (5647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have La Sportiva Cliffs; they are wider than some but not really the right shape in the toe box--they stretch out so it works OK. A beginner shoe, but once broken in they fit comfortably so they are my main shoes for slabs and crack. (I believe the Nago replaces the Cliffs.)

Boreal Spiders have a toe box that matches my foot's profile. If I had the new rubber instead of the original rubber, I'd probably wear them for other than gym and edgy climbing.

I recently tried out a pair of La Sportiva Miura. Not bad for a more aggressive shoe. The heel wasn't too painful and while the toe box wasn't an ideal shape, it wasn't bad. I was taking off the shoes between climbs due to the heel, not the toes.

reaeper

Oct 10, 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #19 of 20 (5591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have very wide feet, and I LOVE my 5.10 Anasazis. Pretty expensive, but fits like a dream, and as an added plus, they're velcro. I use them for all my climbing, and they work great as an all around shoe. I highly recommend trying them.

(This post was edited by reaeper on Oct 10, 2010, 12:35 AM)

irukandji

Oct 20, 2010, 8:03 AM
Post #20 of 20 (5378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
I_do wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
pencilbox wrote:

katanas and miuras run pretty narrow so no idea how you were able to use those and not the defys

Somehow I doubt Miuras run wide. I have really wide, flat feet, and somehow the Miura is the best fit for me... Just go to all the shops you can go to, try on all the shoes you can and if you have really weird feet, by all means try to buy unlined natural leather shoes. They tend to stretch to a glove-like fit (will go up a full size in some places) after wearing them a bit. The fewer stitches on the leather, the more they will stretch. After that they'll be comfy.

(This post was edited by irukandji on Oct 20, 2010, 8:08 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook