Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Slacklining:
Are Competitions Good for the Slackline Community?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Partner slacklinejoe

Oct 13, 2010, 5:21 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2297 views)
Shortcut

Are Competitions Good for the Slackline Community?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been wondering about this a lot lately, and I've been thinking hard about whether or not competitions are really healthy for our sport.

On one hand, you've got an opportunity to get slackers together and have some comradery, on the other, you encourage people to be jacklels, idiots, discouraging newbies and suddenly having the mindset that they should be paid and promoted to slackline in the park with their friends.

From my perspective, it's kind of disheartening. We run a few comps but a few we've quit supporting since they really only brought out a lot of ego maniacs who tried to claim "worlds first... such and such trick" or otherwise being dicks about it rather than the lighthearted fun we wanted to provide.

At 24 Hours of Horseshoe Hell's slackline afterparty, I walked the line with someone juggling on my shoulders. I've got videos / photos but I guess I'm odd because I don't feel the urge to claim it. Afterall, tight ropers have been doing that stuff for centuries.

Instead, I try to focus on providing free workshops and get togethers, but there's no doubt that competitions pull in more people.

As someone who wants encourage the sport's adoption, what are we (organizers) doing wrong or at least what can we do better?

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Oct 13, 2010, 5:23 PM)

giggly

Oct 14, 2010, 8:06 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Are Competitions Good for the Slackline Community? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not sure what you mean about that, but I have noticed your post in the past and It seems as if your not jerking around. So I will reply. I think getting slackers together seems like fun. But for me I have only gotten together with other slackers after traveling hundreds of miles some times thousands.
Localy on a local level. I have had one person try to Other than that I rarely find people.
I think comps are a good excuse for people to have a party. I don't think you should have to pay for it. Mabye a dollar and if someone dosn't have a doller let them in anyway and don't make a big deal about it. If you want to have a large event at a popular location which may draw spectators then I think your main focus is on selling your brand name.
When I get together with slackers in other places they are usually traveling as well. It always feels good to say hey watch me and someone watches.
Or they say how can you walk that line. I always like to hold hands with the cute ladies and walk them across the line. Slack lining is not a sport it is just somthing awsome to do. Try not to remind us about jacklels idiots and discouraging slackliners because your messing with my tranquility. I tend to stray away from mad rock products because I don't feel the positiveity. I do however feel drawn to misty mountain and organic products I like the sound of those names and they put a smile on my face.

shaun_the_conqueror

Oct 16, 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Are Competitions Good for the Slackline Community? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that's a pretty negative way of looking at it. Claiming "world's first" for tricks several years ago was one thing, but tricklining as a whole has developed in such a way that what was once REALLY REALLY impressive (i.e. a backflip is now just impressive because so many people are able to do it. I strongly believe in giving credit where credit is due and if someone is the first to do something mind blowing, the hell give him/her credit for it!

If you doing it in terms of making money and you're using money out of your pocket in the hopes of making it back and then extra, that is a huge mistake. Our overhead is really low since we rely entirely on event sponsors to provide prizes for our competitors. It works out really well. We ask for a $15 entrance fee (for competitors), provide a free raffle ticket, and in years prior to this one had free food. I'm talking like free pizza not just chips and such. The money that is "made" goes to buying beer/food for the after party which is ALWAYS a blast! Our whole event is geared around getting people who a) don't know how to slackline to learn (after the comp when we open the line and pads to anyone) b) people who have talent compete against others head to head c) provide a community wide event that draws people from around the country. The atmosphere has always been positive with live music and good people.

Next year we're thinking about doing a west coast series but this is just an idea. Maybe travel the comp to several west coast gyms and end in Arcata, CA for the finalist portion of the comp.

Either way, here's a link to the footage from this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTPa3efmb9M

Cheers,

Shaun

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook