Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Oct 14, 2010, 4:58 PM
Post #151 of 225 (5336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
i like to use revolvers to reduce impact force when i'm top-roping on a sketchy single-micronut anchor

Too bad, because when you reduce the friction on the anchor, you increase the impact force on it.

A belayer getting pulled off the ground doesn't produce lower peak forces?

Whether the belayer is anchored or not, reducing friction at the anchor increases the force on the belayer and decreases the force on the climber. If the climber is anchored (and the belay static), then reducing friction increases the force on the anchor because the increase in the force on the climber is greater than the reduction of force on the belayer. If the belayer is unanchored, then I'm unsure what the net effect on the anchor would be.

Jay

redlude97

Oct 14, 2010, 6:41 PM
Post #152 of 225 (5298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
i like to use revolvers to reduce impact force when i'm top-roping on a sketchy single-micronut anchor

Too bad, because when you reduce the friction on the anchor, you increase the impact force on it.

Whether the belayer is anchored or not, reducing friction at the anchor increases the force on the belayer and decreases the force on the climber. If the climber is anchored (and the belay static), then reducing friction increases the force on the anchor because the increase in the force on the climber is greater than the reduction of force on the belayer. If the belayer is unanchored, then I'm unsure what the net effect on the anchor would be.

Jay
Just to clarify, you don't mean unanchored but just not leaving the ground correct?

kachoong

Oct 14, 2010, 6:45 PM
Post #153 of 225 (5295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone knows pieces of gear are worthless without pics!

jt512

Oct 14, 2010, 7:54 PM
Post #154 of 225 (5259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:

Jay
Just to clarify, you don't mean unanchored but just not leaving the ground correct?

No, I mean anchored and unanchored, and I'm assuming, pursuant to spikeddem's question, that the force is great enough that it would pull the belayer off the ground (if he is unanchored).

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Oct 15, 2010, 2:11 AM)

chossmonkey

Oct 15, 2010, 1:40 AM
Post #155 of 225 (5220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
rangerrob wrote:
I've done Flyin' Hawaiin at Rumney, and I don't remember ever owning a stick clip. It's not impossible. I agree with anti stick clip guy on this one. He values his ethic that he needs to be able to confidently climb the entire route without the aid of an artificial long arm. It's sort of arbitrary, because the bolts are more or less arbitrarily placed, so the danger is arbitrary.

I would use a stick clip if I felt I needed it, but I would admire someone much more who climbed routes that they were comfortable with on their own terms.

The whole concept of a stick clip, and sport climbing in general is kind of absurd. You are manufacturing a route with whatever degree of danger you want to have in it. If it's okay to stick clip the first bolt, why not stick clip the second, or third? Why not leave the rope hanging from all but the chains? What's the difference?

Aside from bolting on the lead, why would someone intentionally make a sport route dangerous to lead? That's what i don't get about sport climbing. When you're placing gear you are either good enough to place the gear or you're not. With a sport climb you can easily make the route safer by just adding a lower bolt, and spacing them closer together. It's a joke, a farce...something that is there for pure entertainment. Not something to REALLY push the limits of what you yourself find as acceptable risk, and how close you can push yourself to the edge while still being in control.

RR

quoted just because it is well said, and to remind people once again that the question was, in fact, posted in the trad forum.

So why would you bring up a piece of sport climbing gear?

By your argument it should be limited to dodads and widgets.

Perhaps the most worthless piece of gear is your mother's failed diaphragm?

climbingaggie03

Oct 15, 2010, 3:15 AM
Post #156 of 225 (5198 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
rangerrob wrote:
I've done Flyin' Hawaiin at Rumney, and I don't remember ever owning a stick clip. It's not impossible. I agree with anti stick clip guy on this one. He values his ethic that he needs to be able to confidently climb the entire route without the aid of an artificial long arm. It's sort of arbitrary, because the bolts are more or less arbitrarily placed, so the danger is arbitrary.

I would use a stick clip if I felt I needed it, but I would admire someone much more who climbed routes that they were comfortable with on their own terms.

The whole concept of a stick clip, and sport climbing in general is kind of absurd. You are manufacturing a route with whatever degree of danger you want to have in it. If it's okay to stick clip the first bolt, why not stick clip the second, or third? Why not leave the rope hanging from all but the chains? What's the difference?

Aside from bolting on the lead, why would someone intentionally make a sport route dangerous to lead? That's what i don't get about sport climbing. When you're placing gear you are either good enough to place the gear or you're not. With a sport climb you can easily make the route safer by just adding a lower bolt, and spacing them closer together. It's a joke, a farce...something that is there for pure entertainment. Not something to REALLY push the limits of what you yourself find as acceptable risk, and how close you can push yourself to the edge while still being in control.

RR

quoted just because it is well said, and to remind people once again that the question was, in fact, posted in the trad forum.

So why would you bring up a piece of sport climbing gear?

By your argument it should be limited to dodads and widgets.

Perhaps the most worthless piece of gear is your mother's failed diaphragm?

BURN!!!!!!

Perihelion

Oct 15, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #157 of 225 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Perihelion] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting. There are some things to think about here. I printed the pdf & will review that, however, there is an abbreviated version available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_factor. I need to work a few examples using real-world values before I comment further.

I will add one thing, in passing: Although it is mathematically possible to have FF=0, in practice, if that were true you would have no fall. FF is always > 0, even in a TR situation. It would be more accurate to say that the limit of FF approaches zero as the length of fall approaches zero. You'll never quite get to zero, though.

spikeddem

Oct 15, 2010, 5:49 PM
Post #158 of 225 (5141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perihelion wrote:
Interesting. There are some things to think about here. I printed the pdf & will review that, however, there is an abbreviated version available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_factor. I need to work a few examples using real-world values before I comment further.

I will add one thing, in passing: Although it is mathematically possible to have FF=0, in practice, if that were true you would have no fall. FF is always > 0, even in a TR situation. It would be more accurate to say that the limit of FF approaches zero as the length of fall approaches zero. You'll never quite get to zero, though.

IIRC, stretch is not included in calculating the FF. So, it's definitely possible to have an FF of zero. The "fall distance," as I understand it, is equal to the distance fallen before the rope is weighted.

Perihelion

Oct 15, 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #159 of 225 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
IIRC, stretch is not included in calculating the FF. So, it's definitely possible to have an FF of zero. The "fall distance," as I understand it, is equal to the distance fallen before the rope is weighted.

You are correct. My mistake. If you hang on the rope like wet laundry, you could have a FF=0.

spikeddem

Oct 15, 2010, 6:00 PM
Post #160 of 225 (5130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perihelion wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

You are correct. My mistake. If you hang on the rope like wet laundry, you could have a FF=0.

I can't tell if you're trying to be wise with that comment, but it's common to see beginners keeping each other very tight when it comes a TR belay.

milesenoell

Oct 15, 2010, 6:14 PM
Post #161 of 225 (5127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
milesenoell wrote:
jt512 wrote:
milesenoell wrote:
lemon_boy wrote:
the dmm revolver carabiner, without a doubt. i'm always surprised when people recommend using these for a top rope anchor, or other ill advised setups.

In what way are you suggesting that that is an ill advised setup?

In the way of not providing any friction to reduce the impact force on the belayer.

Jay
I suppose, but it seems to me that using them on the rope end of draws while leading (as I believe they are intended to be used) would be to subject your belayer to much higher forces in a fall than anything you would see in a TR scenario.

You just made another argument for their uselessness.

In reply to:
Edited to add: I'm not sure how much extra force we are talking about by reducing the friction (but I suspect you do) but I'm just not all that concerned about the forces in a TR system. (I also don't generally climb with anybody who significantly outweighs me.)

If the revolver were frictionless it would increase the force on the belayer by about 50%. Let's say you and your partner each weigh 170 lb. Then, if you used a revolver, it would be like belaying someone who weighed 255 lb. How pleasant an experience would that be? Now, imagine that your partner weighed 200 lb. A 30-lb difference is no big deal, but with a revolver it would theoretically be like belaying someone weighing 300 lb. Is this a reason to be "concerned"? No. Is this a reason to be unhappy? Hell, yes.

Jay

This one cracks me up. It's basically just a direct response to a comment I made in which you supply information I was curious about and clarify your stance (indicating that we see this similarly). How did that draw 4 one star ratings?

I can understand that there are some folks out there that strongly disagree with you, but can't they at least do so in a more effective way than these ratings? Wouldn't it be more satisfying to actually point out any differences in opinion, or better yet to maybe point out where they think you are incorrect?

jt512

Oct 15, 2010, 6:47 PM
Post #162 of 225 (5112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Perihelion wrote:
Interesting. There are some things to think about here. I printed the pdf & will review that, however, there is an abbreviated version available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_factor.

I know. I wrote most of the Wikipedia article.

In reply to:
I need to work a few examples using real-world values before I comment further.

If you want an easy way to work with the equation(s), you can use my online impact force calculator. It reports results using two models: the standard model and another model that treats friction at the top anchor in a more accurate fashion [source].

In reply to:
I will add one thing, in passing: Although it is mathematically possible to have FF=0, in practice, if that were true you would have no fall. FF is always > 0, even in a TR situation.

No, a toprope "fall" with no slack in the rope does in fact have a fall factor of 0. Fall factor is defined to be the length of the fall divided by the length of the rope out, where fall length is defined to be the height of the climber at the beginning of the fall minus the height of the climber just before the rope begins to stretch. Therefore, for a TR "fall" with no slack in the rope, the fall factor is 0 divided by a positive number; that is, the fall factor is 0.

Zero is a perfectly valid value for fall factor in either the standard or friction-adjusted impact force models. With a fall factor of 0, both models reduce to

T_1 = 2w ,

where T_1 is the tension in the climber's side of the rope and w is the climber's weight. This implies, perhaps surprisingly, that the maximum impact force (on the climber) in such a toprope "fall" will be twice the climber's weight, and perhaps more surprisingly, it will be so for a rope of any elasticity.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Oct 17, 2010, 5:24 AM)

jt512

Oct 15, 2010, 7:04 PM
Post #163 of 225 (5093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
jt512 wrote:
milesenoell wrote:
jt512 wrote:
milesenoell wrote:
lemon_boy wrote:
the dmm revolver carabiner, without a doubt. i'm always surprised when people recommend using these for a top rope anchor, or other ill advised setups.

In what way are you suggesting that that is an ill advised setup?

In the way of not providing any friction to reduce the impact force on the belayer.

Jay
I suppose, but it seems to me that using them on the rope end of draws while leading (as I believe they are intended to be used) would be to subject your belayer to much higher forces in a fall than anything you would see in a TR scenario.

You just made another argument for their uselessness.

In reply to:
Edited to add: I'm not sure how much extra force we are talking about by reducing the friction (but I suspect you do) but I'm just not all that concerned about the forces in a TR system. (I also don't generally climb with anybody who significantly outweighs me.)

If the revolver were frictionless it would increase the force on the belayer by about 50%. Let's say you and your partner each weigh 170 lb. Then, if you used a revolver, it would be like belaying someone who weighed 255 lb. How pleasant an experience would that be? Now, imagine that your partner weighed 200 lb. A 30-lb difference is no big deal, but with a revolver it would theoretically be like belaying someone weighing 300 lb. Is this a reason to be "concerned"? No. Is this a reason to be unhappy? Hell, yes.

Jay

This one cracks me up. It's basically just a direct response to a comment I made in which you supply information I was curious about and clarify your stance (indicating that we see this similarly). How did that draw 4 one star ratings?

I can understand that there are some folks out there that strongly disagree with you, but can't they at least do so in a more effective way than these ratings? Wouldn't it be more satisfying to actually point out any differences in opinion, or better yet to maybe point out where they think you are incorrect?

If they were capable of responding coherently, I'm sure they would.

Jay

lemon_boy

Oct 15, 2010, 9:12 PM
Post #164 of 225 (5054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perihelion, would you use just one revolver or two in your MP anchor for toproping? if you use 2, the pulleys are running in tangentially opposing directions at the location where they are in contact. kind of ruins the point of using a pulley.

that being said using a pulley in a TR setup is a bad idea. as jay pointed out - why do you think they run the toprope a couple times around the anchor bar at the gym - to get more friction. not less.

side note, that was pretty funny that jay wrote the wiki artcile. didn't know that.

Perihelion

Oct 15, 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #165 of 225 (5027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
No, a toprope "fall" with no slack in the rope does in fact have a fall factor of 0. Fall factor is defined to be the length of the fall divided by the length of the rope out, where fall length is defined to be the height of the climber at the beginning of the fall minus the height of the climber just before the rope begins to stretch. Therefore, for a TR "fall" with no slack in the rope, the fall factor is 0 divided by a positive number; that is, the fall factor is 0. Zero is a perfectly valid value for fall factor in either the standard or friction-adjusted impact force models. With a fall factor of 0, both models reduce to

T_1 = 2w ,

where T_1 is the tension in the climber's side of the rope and w is the climber's weight. This implies, perhaps surprisingly, that the maximum impact force (on the climber) in such a toprope "fall" will be twice the climber's weight, and perhaps more surprisingly, it will be so for a rope of any elasticity.

Jay

Shocked

Oh, boy. I just worked your math. It was interesting. I'll post more about this later. Heheh.

BWAHAHAHAAAA!!! Cool

notapplicable

Oct 16, 2010, 5:09 AM
Post #166 of 225 (4988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Back to the topic at hand.

Mad Rock Aviator Belay Device

And no, I have not used one. I did just look up "superfluous" in the dictionary though, and guess what I saw a picture of...

ptlong2

Oct 18, 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #167 of 225 (4932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
This implies, perhaps surprisingly, that the maximum impact force (on the climber) in such a toprope "fall" will be twice the climber's weight, and perhaps more surprisingly, it will be so for a rope of any elasticity.

Any linear elasticity. If the rope deviates from Hooke's Law over the range in question the force may not be twice the climber's weight.

And it may not be twice if you add in other real-world complications such as a real climber instead of a block of iron, a real belayer instead of a static belay, or friction over the top anchor.

It would be interesting to see what range of forces real toprope falls generate. Most of them are probably not fall factor zero.

jt512

Oct 18, 2010, 12:39 AM
Post #168 of 225 (4919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptlong2] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ptlong2 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
This implies, perhaps surprisingly, that the maximum impact force (on the climber) in such a toprope "fall" will be twice the climber's weight, and perhaps more surprisingly, it will be so for a rope of any elasticity.

Any linear elasticity. If the rope deviates from Hooke's Law over the range in question the force may not be twice the climber's weight.

Yes. I stated in an earlier post, the model assumes that the rope behaves according to Hooke's Law.

Jay

Partner camhead

Oct 18, 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #169 of 225 (4883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lemon_boy] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lemon_boy wrote:

side note, that was pretty funny that jay wrote the wiki artcile. didn't know that.

I didn't know that either, but it didn't surprise me in the least.

fresh

Oct 18, 2010, 2:02 PM
Post #170 of 225 (4847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
ptlong2 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Yes. I stated in an earlier post, the model assumes that the rope behaves according to Hooke's Law.

Jay
I swear, the stars have got to go.

do you know how accurate Hooke's Law is in predicting the rope's behavior?

jt512

Oct 18, 2010, 4:40 PM
Post #171 of 225 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ptlong2 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay
I swear, the stars have got to go.

do you know how accurate Hooke's Law is in predicting the rope's behavior?

As I understand it (which isn't that well), the main difference between a Hooke's Law spring and an actual dynamic rope is that a dynamic rope acts as a dampened spring, resulting in lower impact forces than predicted by Hooke's Law. The standard model also ignores friction between the rope and the anchors or climbing surfaces, assumes the belay is static, and that the falling body is rigid. Were it not for friction, we could probably say that Hooke's Law overstates the impact force on the climber, the belayer, and the anchor. Modeling the effects of friction throughout the system is more complex.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Oct 18, 2010, 7:39 PM)

petsfed

Oct 18, 2010, 7:16 PM
Post #172 of 225 (4782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
As I understand it (which isn't that well), the main difference between a Hooke's Law spring and an actual dynamic rope is that a dynamic rope acts as a dampened spring, resulting in lower impact forces than predicted by Hooke's Law.

That's pretty accurate to say. For the most part, the damping comes from internal friction, Hooke's law terms directed perpendicular to the force load, and non-elastic deformation of the rope.

ptlong2

Oct 18, 2010, 7:46 PM
Post #173 of 225 (4767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Yes. I stated in an earlier post, the model assumes...

I understand that. I was just wondering what range of forces a real no-slack toprope fall would produce since the model can't be relied upon to tell us.

ptlong2

Oct 18, 2010, 7:53 PM
Post #174 of 225 (4759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
jt512 wrote:
As I understand it (which isn't that well), the main difference between a Hooke's Law spring and an actual dynamic rope is that a dynamic rope acts as a dampened spring, resulting in lower impact forces than predicted by Hooke's Law.

That's pretty accurate to say. For the most part, the damping comes from internal friction, Hooke's law terms directed perpendicular to the force load, and non-elastic deformation of the rope.

There is some non-linearity in climbing ropes without considering damping. Look on the ITRS website for a 2001 paper by Weber. It's mainly concerned with static ropes but there are limited data from a slow pull test on a dynamic rope. The non-linearity over the working range is obvious. Less obvious is that for smaller elongations the effect is enough to change the prediction of 2x the climber's weight for a zero FF fall by about 10-15%. It's interesting to see the effect that knots have as well.

edit: typos

(This post was edited by ptlong2 on Oct 19, 2010, 4:07 PM)

rainman0915

Oct 20, 2010, 6:26 AM
Post #175 of 225 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] Most Worthless Piece of Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

talk about unnecessarily over complicating a design

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook