RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Partner chugach001

Oct 18, 2010, 5:25 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2302 views)
Shortcut

Oil and Slings
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My cams were crusting up so I WD-40'd them and wiped clean with a rag, twice.

But, I know how damaging oil can be with slings, etc. Before I toss these back in my bag - just how oil-free do they have to be? Am I being a ninny?

spikeddem

Oct 18, 2010, 5:45 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chugach001] Oil and Slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chugach001 wrote:

But, I know how damaging oil can be with slings, etc. Before I toss these back in my bag - just how oil-free do they have to be? Am I being a ninny?

Considering cams are outdoor gear, I wouldn't ever use dirt-attracting WD-40 on them. Use a product like White Lightning. Back when I was about nine years old I used WD-40 on my skateboard bearing. It worked like a charm--for about a day.

If you make the cams actually oil free, then you have removed the WD-40, and it will no longer do anything for you. WD-40 must actually be present to do it's job. White Lightning is wax-based, and won't attract dirt to the extent that WD-40 will.

However, since you've already done this, I personally wouldn't worry about the oil and slings issues. Then again, I have no idea how much oil is actually on them as I can't inspect them in person. Unless they're dripping oil, I wouldn't worry about it. If just the springs have WD-40 on them, you'll be fine.

Edit: If you honestly worried about it, why not just store them in a separate area from the slings? Seems like a no brainer to me.

(This post was edited by spikeddem on Oct 18, 2010, 5:46 PM)

sbaclimber

Oct 18, 2010, 7:08 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Oil and Slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
chugach001 wrote:

Considering cams are outdoor gear, I wouldn't ever use dirt-attracting WD-40 on them. Use a product like White Lightning. Back when I was about nine years old I used WD-40 on my skateboard bearing. It worked like a charm--for about a day.
^^ I agree with all of that. I have never used oil for my cams, up until now sticking with silicon spray.
After wearing out a brand new Shimano sprocket in less than 2yrs (<3000kms) on my bike (using oil as lube), I have even switched to teflon spray for that, and will soon be trying it on my cams as well. Cool

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Oct 18, 2010, 7:11 PM)

Partner chugach001

Oct 18, 2010, 8:29 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Oil and Slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you are both right and I have white lightning for my bike but I didnt think of it. Next time.

It's still a petroleum product so the original question stands. I'm going with; If it's wiped clean, it's probably okay.

Thanks!

(This post was edited by chugach001 on Oct 19, 2010, 1:26 AM)

milesenoell

Oct 18, 2010, 9:04 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Oil and Slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
chugach001 wrote:

^^ I agree with all of that. I have never used oil for my cams, up until now sticking with silicon spray.
After wearing out a brand new Shimano sprocket in less than 2yrs (<3000kms) on my bike (using oil as lube), I have even switched to teflon spray for that, and will soon be trying it on my cams as well. Cool

Just out of curiosity, what kind of oil were you using on your bike before, and what kind of Teflon spray are you using now?

sbaclimber

Oct 19, 2010, 7:07 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Oil and Slings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
chugach001 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of oil were you using on your bike before, and what kind of Teflon spray are you using now?
I was using bog-standard ol' bike oil (3-in-1 type stuff). I would relatively regularly dowse the chain fairly heavily and then clean off the excess, but the remaining film of oil still attracted dirt like crazy.
I am now using Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube. It seems to require more frequent reaplication, but the chain is staying way cleaner overall (which will hopefully extend sprocket-life...Smile).

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook