Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
moving to and working in salt lake?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

akaerik21

Oct 26, 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #1 of 7 (6536 views)
Shortcut

moving to and working in salt lake?  (North_America: United_States: Utah)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I plan on moving to slc this coming spring and was hoping to get some advice on getting a job. I currently work at a local bike shop that I have been at for 5 years and have a lot of experience in the trim and upholstery field, and was hoping to to find some work right away so I can avoid living out of my car for to long. My concern is my lack of a college degree that has quickly become a prerequisite to the grown up job world. I am just hoping to pay rent and climb on the weekends. so I guess what I am asking is, is it feasible to just drive out there with a few grand saved up and make a go at it or should I have something lined up first. And please don't remind me about the Mormons, I know they're there. Besides I don't drink alcohol and I think I have a plan for getting on the do not disturb list.

cornstateclimber

Oct 27, 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #2 of 7 (6529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [akaerik21] moving to and working in salt lake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

its a big town, go for it. gotta be a use for skills somewhere! i had that idea for colorado, but i dont have even a hundred to go one so, im stuck here for now!

altelis

Oct 27, 2010, 4:17 AM
Post #3 of 7 (6480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [akaerik21] moving to and working in salt lake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

akaerik21 wrote:
I plan on moving to slc this coming spring and was hoping to get some advice on getting a job. I currently work at a local bike shop that I have been at for 5 years and have a lot of experience in the trim and upholstery field, and was hoping to to find some work right away so I can avoid living out of my car for to long. My concern is my lack of a college degree that has quickly become a prerequisite to the grown up job world. I am just hoping to pay rent and climb on the weekends. so I guess what I am asking is, is it feasible to just drive out there with a few grand saved up and make a go at it or should I have something lined up first. And please don't remind me about the Mormons, I know they're there. Besides I don't drink alcohol and I think I have a plan for getting on the do not disturb list.

If you have some real/serious wrenching skills there are some real/serious bike shops. Don't know if they are hiring...hard market to crack almost anywhere...

You could think about group housing for cheap, tons o ski bums/others go in like 4-5 on a house. Pretty affordable.

Its a pretty affordable area, esp if you are willing to live in and among the mormons (ie NOT in SLC proper but in the many many many many many many many suburbs....)

dlintz

Oct 27, 2010, 4:52 AM
Post #4 of 7 (6472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] moving to and working in salt lake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
akaerik21 wrote:

If you have some real/serious wrenching skills there are some real/serious bike shops. Don't know if they are hiring...hard market to crack almost anywhere...

You could think about group housing for cheap, tons o ski bums/others go in like 4-5 on a house. Pretty affordable.

Its a pretty affordable area, esp if you are willing to live in and among the mormons (ie NOT in SLC proper but in the many many many many many many many suburbs....)

Actually SLC proper is less than 45% Mormon while the suburbs have a higher percentage.

Personally I like SLC a lot....can't say much for the beer though.

d.

altelis

Oct 27, 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #5 of 7 (6445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] moving to and working in salt lake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Right. But the burbs tend to be even higher...hence my comment about the burbs...

marc801

Oct 27, 2010, 2:27 PM
Post #6 of 7 (6419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] moving to and working in salt lake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:
Actually SLC proper is less than 45% Mormon while the suburbs have a higher percentage.

altelis wrote:
Right. But the burbs tend to be even higher...hence my comment about the burbs...
It all depends on the specific suburb. Draper - pretty high percentage; Riverton - even higher; Taylorsville - probably less than 40%.

Overall the entire Salt Lake Valley (includes SLC and all the suburbs between the mountains from North SL down to Point of the Mountain in Draper) is currently ~48% Mormon.

dlintz: please explain your objection to the beer.

dlintz

Oct 27, 2010, 8:25 PM
Post #7 of 7 (6386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] moving to and working in salt lake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
dlintz wrote:

altelis wrote:
It all depends on the specific suburb. Draper - pretty high percentage; Riverton - even higher; Taylorsville - probably less than 40%.

Overall the entire Salt Lake Valley (includes SLC and all the suburbs between the mountains from North SL down to Point of the Mountain in Draper) is currently ~48% Mormon.

dlintz: please explain your objection to the beer.

Altelis, Doh. I misinterpreted your post. Carry on.

marc801, I was referring in general to the microbreweries I've tried in the SLC area (Uinta, Red Rock, and that Squatters place). There's a few individual beers I like but for the most part I haven't found any of the breweries that wow me.

Do you have any recommendations? Not that I get there often but I'm always interested in trying some different places.

d.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook