RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

mushroom

Nov 20, 2010, 2:47 AM
Post #1 of 9 (3920 views)
Shortcut

Ouray and Igloos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Haha! I'm one of you, the real you, that is.

I heard something about being able to build igloos beyond the climbing in the box canyon. Is this true? Or say, to those of you who have traveled to the mythical 'ice park', where would you build your igloo network to be free of thieves, vegabonds, and the babylon?

I'm on fixed income, but I'm rich on time.

Let me know if there is a reliable, practical place with enough snow. Does Ouray collect snow? Can the dream be reality?

bE at Bozeman (Dec. 11-12), Cody Feb. (18-21), and Rjukan (Feb. 25-27) ice fests too, ya know!

Hope to see you there,

Nick

p.s. : p.m. a secret spot

moose_droppings

Nov 20, 2010, 3:28 AM
Post #2 of 9 (3909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroom] Ouray and Igloos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mushroom wrote:
Haha! I'm one of you, the real you, that is.

I heard something about being able to build igloos beyond the climbing in the box canyon. Is this true? Or say, to those of you who have traveled to the mythical 'ice park', where would you build your igloo network to be free of thieves, vegabonds, and the babylon?

I'm on fixed income, but I'm rich on time.

Let me know if there is a reliable, practical place with enough snow. Does Ouray collect snow? Can the dream be reality?

bE at Bozeman (Dec. 11-12), Cody Feb. (18-21), and Rjukan (Feb. 25-27) ice fests too, ya know!

Hope to see you there,

Nick

p.s. : p.m. a secret spot

Your fixed income sounds pretty rich to me.
Laugh

Hope you find a spot.

climbingaggie03

Nov 24, 2010, 1:48 AM
Post #3 of 9 (3819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't say I know much about Ouray, but I did live in an igloo in summit county one winter. check out http://www.grandshelters.com/index.html

I'd bet that you can most likely find a spot that provides what you want. Scouting isn't too hard and is part of the fun.

sungam

Nov 24, 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #4 of 9 (3781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could totally build one in the woods somewhere out of the way. Make sure you're responsible, though. It would suck to turn into the douchebag that made the locals have another reason to be pissed at the climbers.

chadnsc

Nov 24, 2010, 3:06 PM
Post #5 of 9 (3760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Ouray and Igloos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
I can't say I know much about Ouray, but I did live in an igloo in summit county one winter. check out http://www.grandshelters.com/index.html

I'd bet that you can most likely find a spot that provides what you want. Scouting isn't too hard and is part of the fun.

How did you find using the Ice Box with only one person? I've used it but only with two people.

climbingaggie03

Nov 24, 2010, 6:29 PM
Post #6 of 9 (3729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Ouray and Igloos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Building it with just one person is slow and slot of hat work, it took me 2 days to build by self, although I was working with really sugary snow so that didn't help. I piled a big pile of snowmob the inside and built my blocks with that, also i cut my door around the 3rd row so i could get in and out. The last row or so is a pain cause its too tight to work from the inside and really awkward to work from the outside.

Sleeping in it alone was great, tons of space and plenty warm. I use a small canister lantern to provide warmth and light. I don't put a vent in, but I never block the door an I keep a CO detector in with me. I'm really interested in a liquid fuel lantern, if I could find one that was light and compact enough, it'd be even better than the canisters because of the way canisters behave in cold high places.

m.b.

Dec 1, 2010, 8:25 AM
Post #7 of 9 (3640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nick,

I hear there's a really sweet *secret* spot for an igloo right next to the cabin that a couple of us are renting. For $10/night you can build your igloo outside to play, and then come into the warmth to sleep and let your gear dry. Hell, we can even have hot cocoa ready by the time you're done building the igloo. We all know you're a crazy-hardcore-sick winter woodsman, no need to prove it. :)

MaryBeth

mushroom

Dec 1, 2010, 4:47 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [m.b.] Ouray and Igloos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You got that lined up?

$10 a night is pretty cheap. I'm game.

Nick

p.s. I'm going to have my first go at igloo building tomorrow in Hyalite to get ready for the Bozeman ice fest.

pyramid

Dec 14, 2010, 3:57 PM
Post #9 of 9 (3521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Better pray for snow and cold or you won't even have an ice park this year. Highs in the 50's for two weeks in Dec.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook